PDA

View Full Version : where and how to wire hasbro board

Danz409
10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
ok, first off, i plan to build a budget saber. but i don't want any that don't have sound so i plan to go the cheapest with the sound, and discovered that gutting an old Hasbro toy light saber for the card works fine. i have a few questions about this. where can i find the cheapest light saber, i ebayed and froogled (googles shopping search) and the used ones seem to be around the price of the new ones, and not many used ones are sold from what i see. is there a site that sells the PCB board alone for cheap. and when i get this. do i wire up the blade too for the blade effects or will the high wattage of the luxan LED turn the board into a crispy critter? would like a totoral that would enplane a lot of the basic stuff, you-tubed it and not much luck there. isn't much at all on Hasbro sound cards, sorry for the noobish questions. but... well theirs a reason... I'm a noob :p first project

ThreeQuadFive
10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Welcome!

I would strongly suggest the following:

Check out the thread indexes...

Use the search function (we have a TON of topics on this with q's already answered)

Go to Wal-Mart, thats usually the cheaper place.

sithlordfaust
10-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey man ...I just went through all this myself. super-noob here
never soldered or heatshrinked or ...any of it. first yes you can run the LED from the board. second as far as tutorial go..

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=372&highlight=hasbro+sound

try and plan out your hilt as best as possible, buy the metal and an led kit,
when you get your hilt, go buy a hasbro from wally, theyve been 15 lately, CAREFULLY gut it out,try and keep all the wires in tact and as long as you can.

then lay it all out on a table and STUDY your saber parts, the electronics next to the saber, study the hasbro board and compare it to the pics in the thread i gave you here.

now while I said you can drive a lux from the hasbro board... there are several ways of doing so. and in doings so you can severely underdrive the led (depending on the type of led) and it wont be so bright.(my problem) im currently exploring other wiring routes. and its OK not to ask questions on every single detail. I found my own trial and error extremely helpful, and in some ways better than try to decipher forum posts

swear000
10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
yeah search option is best. I used this one:

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith Darth Vader Electronic Lightsaber
on hasbros site:
http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=ps_results&product_id=15913

I gutted the saber for it's electronics.

You will most likely use 4 AA batteries to power the board and run the LED off the board. Pick a Luxeon that can run well from the low voltage supplied by the board. If you want full power to the Luxeon LED, you may have to use a separate driver and/or power supply.

Ghostbat
10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Ebay is usually the best way to get hasbro sabers. I just got two older ones for about $20 including shipping.

Also keep in mind that we have holidays coming up and that means holiday sales! If you have the constitution to survive the experience the after thanksgiving sale at a target, toys-r-us, or similar store may yield results, and don't count out the Halloween superstore day after sales. They usually carry the cheapest sabers but will have ones with sound from time to time, and they can sell off stock at huge discounts.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-22-2008, 02:26 PM
yes, listen to sithlordfaust you must! Roasted for the same questions last week he was...:rolleyes:

sithlordfaust
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
it really is a baptism of fire, and youll be surprised at how quickly you'll go from not having a clue to swinging your first DIY saber, and to imaging how to implement your ideas beyond...
and you can look at my posts and see the answers i got to the same questions your asking
but do not be afraid to ask that which you cannot find like this one i havent found yet....

Originally Posted by Strydur

Postitive input = Hook directly to positive on battery pack
Negative input = Hook directly to negative on battery pack
Negative output = Switched output to LED or could be used to trigger a relay in a EL setup

The positive for the LED/EL setup would come straight from the battery

Using the negative output on the sound module like this will have a flash on startup/shutdown and a flash on clash. What I mean by this is the LED will blink on and off fast for a few seconds during these times.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

the highlighted red -- meaning i nee a second switch? notunderstanding...if anyone has the schematic that went here i would love it...im running a seoul p4 and its nowhere near as bright as my 616. im trying to brighten the blade till i can get a 1000ma puck without drilling another hole for a latchin switch. fender told me the hasbro board im running only puts out 500ma. ive got a resister to put in place...help...please ive got a red lux III but im undrstanding it needs 1400ma

DaJoQuim
10-22-2008, 05:10 PM
if you buy the new clone spring action sabers it's easy.
1-The orange wire from the led is your pos wire.
2-The purple wire from the led is your neg wire.
3-The two black wires or white wires are your switch wires.
4-The two yellow wires are your speaker wires.
5-Last the red and the black wire which is beside each other is your battery wires.
I hope this helps!!

Danz409
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey man ...I just went through all this myself. super-noob here
never soldered or heatshrinked or ...any of it. first yes you can run the LED from the board. second as far as tutorial go..

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=372&highlight=hasbro+sound

try and plan out your hilt as best as possible, buy the metal and an led kit,
when you get your hilt, go buy a hasbro from wally, theyve been 15 lately, CAREFULLY gut it out,try and keep all the wires in tact and as long as you can.

then lay it all out on a table and STUDY your saber parts, the electronics next to the saber, study the hasbro board and compare it to the pics in the thread i gave you here.

now while I said you can drive a lux from the hasbro board... there are several ways of doing so. and in doings so you can severely underdrive the led (depending on the type of led) and it wont be so bright.(my problem) im currently exploring other wiring routes. and its OK not to ask questions on every single detail. I found my own trial and error extremely helpful, and in some ways better than try to decipher forum posts

wow found that link to be VERY usefull. as for where to buy it. i guss im only left with going to wallymart. not much happening on ebay tho. so i guss im left with wally-mart wonder if i can find a discount sticker and plop it on it. i did that with some crome paint once. found a $2.39 price tag for paint of same brand just stuck halfway on the shelf.. i took advantage of the employees carelessness :3 retale price of it was $5.60 too much for paint :p

sithlordfaust
10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Im still not above asking qustions though....

My question is this....
Iv got my p4 being driven by the hasbro board. Unfortnately, the hasbro only puts out 500ma to the lamp.
Ive got a 2.2 resistor I was originally going to put on the led. can anyone tell me if I can rewire in a way to give the Led power from the battery AND still control it all via the momentary on the hasbro board. I would just put it on a different cicuit, but I dont wanna drill anymore hole, as thhis cheap setup is only temporary till at least payday, when I can either get a US or a 1000ma Buck puck.
my p4 is so sad that it isnt even as bright as my Joe Jedi:(
this diagram indicates that I can but its a lil confusing
can anyone explain this to my simple FRED burned mind..lol

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/scripts/GrimaOllak.jpg

my first saber built with the help of forum posts, and the help of several of you here and absolutley NO previous experience (taken with a crappy cell phone cam)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/sickboy1138/Myfirstsaber.jpg