10-20-2008, 08:30 PM
don't forget the lightsaber!

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
the MHS see this is waht I want to do.

how do I upload the images?

tinfoilhelmet
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
browse...if ye got 'em on yer hard drive you can upload that way.
attachment or something or rather.

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-20-2008, 08:52 PM
this is one of many sabers I want to design

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-20-2008, 09:20 PM
so if I get the DIY luxeon kit that has all I need as far as the electronics is concerned right? and it will fit in the lightsaber displayed?

Lord Dottore Matto
10-20-2008, 10:01 PM
so if I get the DIY luxeon kit that has all I need as far as the electronics is concerned right? and it will fit in the lightsaber displayed?

Yes it will.;)

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
When I'm putting the electronics together should i use soldering kit or what's the best way to do it.

mhs seems easy enough to put together but my major concern are the electronics. also I want to be able to recharge the batteries. how should i best tackle this issue?

Master Jedi Owen
10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
When I'm putting the electronics together should i use soldering kit or what's the best way to do it.

mhs seems easy enough to put together but my major concern are the electronics. also I want to be able to recharge the batteries. how should i best tackle this issue?

electronics should always be put together with a solder and use shrink tube to cover the wires, not electrical tape lol. stronger,holds better than twisting and putting a cap on it plus it creates a nice, clean look to the interals of the saber. I always use a solder when putting wires together.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Solder and heatshrink EVERYTHING! For your first saber, buy some standard rechargables.

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
so what parts do I need to make the recharger port on the hilt?

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 03:49 PM
the recharge port. :) charger:) i noticed that your going with the emitter that is cut at an angle. make sure when you order to tell tim weather or not you want the switch hole lined up with the top. they don't all get machined the same or line up when screwed together.

edit: read this http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2235

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2342
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

edit edit: ya i saw where he was from after I hit the post button. so i went to find some things for him/her to read.;)

Jedi-Loreen
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I think maybe he was talking about standard batteries, like AA or AAAs that you remove and put into a charger. To keep things simple for your first saber.

I'm sure he'll correct me if that's not what he meant. :wink:

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes that sounds like what he meant. "Standard rechargables" says AA or AAA batteries you pop out and pop into a charger to me.

Maverick 8)

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
so what parts do I need to make the recharger port on the hilt?

that's what I was goin off of.:cool:

Jedi-Loreen
10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
But you're not going off of what LDM said, like Maverick and I are, VT.

You're going off of the assumption that jedi Xam'i Letsab made, thinking that he needs a recharge port.

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 04:13 PM
sorry I'm also new to soldering and especially heatshrinks. if I am to get a heatshrink kit like in the link below will it have everything I need to heatshrink the electronics?http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48fe61150879804a273fc0a87e010683/Product/View/W4200

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 04:30 PM
ahhhhhhh, my apologies. I guess I was thinkin too much into it. lol. JXL TCSS sells heatshrink and is the correct size so you don't have to buy all that.

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
no actually I want a recharge port so that I can connect it directly to the hilt. i don't want to have take out the batteries and put them back in. if I heatshrink it won't I have to remove the heatshrink tubes everytime I take out the batteries

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 04:47 PM
no actually I want a recharge port so that I can connect it directly to the hilt. i don't want to have take out the batteries and put them back in. if I heatshrink it won't I have to remove the heatshrink tubes everytime I take out the batteries

No the heatshrink is for all the solder connections you will be making so it does not ground out in the hilt. you can use rechargable batteies in a regular battery holder but you have to take them out when they are dead. but you can also hook up the pack to a recharge port. read those several links I posted and you will know how to do it.

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 04:47 PM
and I am a HIM

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I ment no offence, just covering all bases.:)

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
its all good

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
so what about the parts? if I want to add the recharge battery pack does that have everything i need to connect it to charger? and how much extra is all that?

one other question what does the bu8ckpuck do?

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 05:06 PM
A buckpuck is a current regulator. It's like a resistor but actually puts out a preset ammount of current. It's more efficient than a resistor as well, so your LED will be brighter.

And the recharge port allows you to connect your saber to a charger. You have to wire it up with the rest of the electronics though, you should ask other people here about that, I don't know much about it.

Maverick 8)

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
so lets say my ultimate lightsaber is all the things I've put together in this thread + sound board? how hard is it to accomplish?

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Besides the mechanical aspects of the saber (design and contruction), completely possible. Wiring electronics is a simple thing, especially in lightsabers, sound board or not.

It's very straightforward usually, having a recharge port throws a wrench in that, though a small one.

Your design from what I hear is a common thing here on the forums. Your saber is not just possible, it can happen.

Just ask around like you have been here, you'll get all your questions answered. We're all here to answer them. Just post in the General saber construction thread, as this is a welcome forum :wink:

Maverick 8)

Lord Dottore Matto
10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
so lets say my ultimate lightsaber is all the things I've put together in this thread + sound board? how hard is it to accomplish?

The good thing about the MHS system is that you can change your electronics at any time. I think that many will agree, START with basic electronics to hone your skills. Once you are good at soldering and actually understand the ins and outs of saber building, you can always go back and add sound to your saber. I guarantee that if you are not comfortable soldering, then you do not want to try to set up a sound board quite yet. If you are anything like the rest of us, this first saber will not be your last!:mrgreen:

As far as this saber goes, I could do it in 15 minutes, but when I first started it would have taken me a few hours because I was not sure how to proceed. I read these forums for a few weeks before I ever even tried. All of the basics are already answered, including basic wiring questions. Just READ, READ, READ and soon, you too will be building complicated sabers with whatever features that you want!

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
cool thanks for that. the reason why I'm jumping the gun is that I have my 30th next year and I want to get the soundboard and all that jazz so that I can dress up for my b'day. it's a star wars theme. so yeah. and I want to have a decent lightsaber with sounds and clashes and I don't want to have to buy another lightsaber to do that. plus for us it's abit pricey considering the exchange rate and that the ozzy dollar is so weak at this point

Lord Dottore Matto
10-22-2008, 02:28 PM
cool thanks for that. the reason why I'm jumping the gun is that I have my 30th next year and I want to get the soundboard and all that jazz so that I can dress up for my b'day. it's a star wars theme. so yeah. and I want to have a decent lightsaber with sounds and clashes and I don't want to have to buy another lightsaber to do that. plus for us it's abit pricey considering the exchange rate and that the ozzy dollar is so weak at this point

That's all well and good, just order/buy the things that you eventually want to be in the saber and wire up the basics, then when you feel comfortable, rewire it to include the soundboard! Trust me, it will all work out for you!

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
cool. so if I had a hasbro lightsaber could I use the board in that for the sounds and clash detectors?

Lord Dottore Matto
10-22-2008, 09:00 PM
cool. so if I had a hasbro lightsaber could I use the board in that for the sounds and clash detectors?

Why, as a matter of fact you could do just that!;)

jedi Xam'i Letsab
10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
also what would I require to use the recharge battery pack?

obviously the recharge battery pack.

the lens and buck puck.

whatelse?

afrojedi
08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
also what would I require to use the recharge battery pack?

obviously the recharge battery pack.

the lens and buck puck.

whatelse?

HI believe it or not, I am jedi xami letsab, I forgot my password and had to create AFROJEDI instead.

any way to consolidate the two accounts?

afrojedi
08-13-2013, 08:01 AM
I am wondering if I plan on using the covertec kill plug which drill service will I need. I thought it would be Recharge port hole service style 2

Silver Serpent
08-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Style 1 would probably look better, but it can be more difficult to install the recharge port, depending on location.