PDA

View Full Version : Yarkaz's introduction thread

Yarkaz
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey everyone, Yarkaz here.

Anyways, I've been a Star Wars fan for a while, so a few weeks ago my neighbor and I decided we would build some Lightsabers. While looking for some tutorials online, we first discovered Novastar, and eventually this whole "saber scene." What started as a just-for-fun hobby is becoming a big thing for us.

Anyways, our first projects are a few low-grade sink-tube sabers using Luxeon K2s and those colored disks. We aren't looking to do anything super fancy (yeah, a tube with a button... And a shiny, clear pipe. lol), we're just trying to get used to bulding these things. I think we've done a great job with the hilts and wiring, but now we've run into a dilemma. Yesterday we ordered our thick-walled blades, and sat down to think. How would we attach them? We can't afford a blade holder from the 'shop right now, and we don't have threads to screw them in with. Our LEDs ended up right at the top of the hilt (I don't know if this was a good idea or not, feedback?) so screwing them in could potentially damage the LED. We need a way to remove the blade and switch disks, but we also need it to be sturdy enough for mock-duels. Anyways, I hope I haven't screwed it up!

Lord Preston
10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you here. I'm sure you will get your questions answerd here. Everyone is friendly and helpful, so I'm sure there will be no problems.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
First off, welcome!:p

Secondly, UH OH! The LED at the tip will give you many problems! It sure won't be duel-worthy with that type of setup! Post some pictures so we can see what is going on and we can give you some specific advice!

MaverickJsmith
10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, you need a bladeholder of some sort or that LED is supertoast! Try the 1.25" sinktube bladeholder, it's good for what it does. Try making just a simple saber, then work your way up. From what you've already said, it sounds like you've tried some on your own already, now, it's time to improve on those skills.

Everyone here is more than willing to help, just ask :wink:

Welcome to the forums.

Maverick 8)

tinfoilhelmet
10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
i welcome myself to yarkaz's introduction thread.
nobody would have it any other way....

Lord Dottore Matto
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
i welcome myself to yarkaz's introduction thread.
nobody would have it any other way....

Dude, that is funny!:lol:

I would also like to welcome Mav and myself to yarkaz's intro thread!:lol:

Yarkaz
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I wish I could post some pictures for you guys, but my digital camera is gone. Parents are vacationing in Ireland and took it. I'll borrow my neighboor's later today and see what I can do.

And to MaverickJsmith: This is actually my first saber. So yeah, I guess that explains my mistake.

Yarkaz
10-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Okay, neighboor didn't feel like coming home today. Instead, I'll try to be very descriptive. Okay, so the deal with the LED is that it sits right at the end of the hilt. (Hey, how about hastily drawn MS paint images?)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/Yarkaz/Theproblem.jpg
That being posted, I think I have a solution. I found a small metal pipe that fits inside of the hilt around the LED, and yet leaves room for the blade to be screwed in. Here it is:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/Yarkaz/solution.jpg
Any objections or problems? Ideas for improvements? Realize that we dried up our tiny budgets, so extra spending is out of question.
So whaddya think?

Lord Dottore Matto
10-21-2008, 07:42 PM
how did you attach the LED? if you can place the led farther down into the hilt it would be better. Just make sure that whatever "pipe" that your blade slides into, that it fits snugly! (is snugly a word???)

Jedi-Loreen
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
(is snugly a word???)

Yes, it is. ;)

Lord Dottore Matto
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, it is. ;)

Good! I thought it was and the spell checker didn't flag it, but it still looked wrong to me somehow!;-)

Yarkaz
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
well, I can't lower the LED because there is something fixed into the pipe which hold it in place. Trust me, it's actually part of the pipe.

MaverickJsmith
10-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Woohoo! I've been welcomed! *throws hands up in the air with a Japanese exclamation, "wai!" ("woohoo!")*

Onto to the matter at hand. That's an interesting design to say the least.

Maverick :shock::D