PDA

View Full Version : Sink tube and Driver questions

Tiepilot91
10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong section, after looking at each section of the fourm I wasnt sure where it would best fit :/

I had made a sink tube saber just for kicks about a year ago, but after watching a bunch of NovaStar's Videos, and the videos of others, I decided I wanted to try makeing a more realistic looking saber.

So, I'v been reading through out the fourm and had a few questions.

The first is about the Driver.

I was planing on makeing a MHS LED Saber with a Hasbro sound board, and im kind of on a budget. So I crunched the numbers and found that with a driver im looking at about $200, but with out a driver im looking at spending around $150. So is the driver worth the extra $50 im paying? I know it adds t a fade in and out feature to the LED but is that it? Also can I make a saber to have a clash and effect with out a driver?

Also about how big is the driver?

My other question is about my sink tube saber.

Now with my sink tube saber, if I wanted to make a new one or add on to this one with the Sinktube to MHS adapter do i just drill the holes in my sink tube and put some screws though it and the adapter?

Also if I do use the sinktube to MHS adapter, and I go to add a blade do I need to buy the Sinktube blade holder or just a MHS blade holder?

Thank You Very Much,
Tiepilot91

MaverickJsmith
10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
If you're reffering to the driver in the store, it's dimensions are stated in it's description. But off the top of my head it is 0.83 inches wide and a little over an inch long.

The MHS to sinktube adaptor is basically a socket that will allow any MHS piece with a male connector to screw into the sink tube. The MHS sinktube bladeholder is designed for 1.25" sink tubes, 22 gauge I believe. The MHS to sinktube adaptor fits 1.5 inch tubes. Fire Tim an email, he'll answer your questions.

And, welcome to the forum.

Maverick

Phiily Manyaan
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
You could go with a 1000mA buckpuck which is $15 but you wouldn't get any fade or clash effects. So it is up to you whether having more effects is more important than your budget. The effects are way awesome, but in the end my budget won out and I went with buckpucks.

MoonDragn
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
You wouldn't even need a buckpuck. A simple resistor will drive your LED. The driver is just for the special effects etc. The hasboro spring action sabers have a very primative clash sensor in it. It is literally a spring around a metal pole. It takes up alot of room too so if you could get your hands on a cheap MR soundboard with a clash sensor it would be preferable. The MR soundboard can drive the LED.

SpectreT65
10-21-2008, 04:04 AM
A resistor will work, but it's a bowling-shoe ugly solution. For everything they do, (regulate current, specifically - a resistor just chokes off current and converts it to heat, Buckpuck=longer runtimes at high brightness) the pucks are worth the $15, if you can fit it in the budget.

Tiepilot91
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Ok, Thank you guys for your help.

I have been looking on ebay for some Broken MR Force Fx sabers.

So far no luck getting a hold of one or even finding one.

Any ways thanks for you help thus far.

~Tiepilot 91~

swear000
10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
There should be a site that just sells boards because that is what we all really use. Sometimes Joe Jedi construction kits are sometimes listed on e-bay for cheap. They have a usable board and some good parts. Sink tube sabers are nice because they are low cost. Hasbro boards are worth the $20 bucks because they drive the LED directly and provide all the basic effects. Granted, they don't drive the LED to maximal brightness like a driver (corbins, buckpuck, etc.) would. The higher the cost, the more fancy you can make your saber. I have a couple planned that I will make very high end. The others I am making are from grab bag stuff and sink tubes. You can still get really good looking sabers that way. Take a look at Jay-Gons sabers. Some are really simple and some mix sink tubes and MHS parts. Inexpensive but really good looking.

Tiepilot91
10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh thank you that just gave me a great idea, im going to post it in the LED hilts and wireing section.

MoonDragn
10-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Ok, Thank you guys for your help.

I have been looking on ebay for some Broken MR Force Fx sabers.

So far no luck getting a hold of one or even finding one.

Any ways thanks for you help thus far.

~Tiepilot 91~

You missed a broken Mace Force FX that was on Ebay just last week.
I think it ended up going for about $60-70 bucks.