PDA

View Full Version : UltraSound 2.0

Lord Duck
10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Dose anyone have any clue no how these are going to need to be wired up.

Darth Leximus
10-17-2008, 11:53 AM
According to the info that has been posted on the Fx-saber forums and also here by our beloved Tim...

There will be 8 solder points as follows:

2 for the LED (pos/neg)
2 for the switch
2 for the speaker
2 for the batteries (pos/neg)

hope this helps

ThreeQuadFive
10-17-2008, 01:37 PM
According to the info that has been posted on the Fx-saber forums and also here by our beloved Tim...

2 for the LED (pos/neg)
2 for the switch
2 for the speaker
2 for the batteries (pos/neg)

hope this helps

It's so easy a kid could do it!!!

*burns self with soldering iron* ...ah damnit, I'm too old apparently at 26.

MaverickJsmith
10-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Speaking of ultrasound v2.0, guess what time it'll be next week kids?

Maverick 8)

Ghostbat
10-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Maverick 8)

I am twitching already

swear000
10-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Maverick 8)

Yay time! Or if you are in a different time zone Woohoo time!

Lord Duck
10-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I’ve been waiting a long time for one of these, saber almost complete.

Darth Morbius
10-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Oct. 28th...

That's the date for Ultra to receve the boards from the manufacturer.

Darth Leximus
10-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Yep, so unfortunately there is no chance to have these boards in time for halloween, which means now I have to rig up temporary electronics for my saber which I had already disassembled in anticipation of US2.0.

Silent saber = Sad sith :(

sekrogue1985
10-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Yep, so unfortunately there is no chance to have these boards in time for halloween, which means now I have to rig up temporary electronics for my saber which I had already disassembled in anticipation of US2.0.

Silent saber = Sad sith :(

i know the feeling all to well my friend was so hoping to get it by then just so he can fight my all powerful CF4.0 but yeah he'll have to MR me now...:P

MaverickJsmith
10-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Wait WHAT?!?!? O_O The 28th?!?!!??!!?

*long pause with agonized look on his face*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:shock:

Maverick :shock::shock::shock:

Silent_Jedi
10-18-2008, 06:01 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/Pulse76/star-wars-darth-vader-nooooooooes1.jpg

Phiily Manyaan
10-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow! That easy?? Is CF that easy? Reading about it makes me cry it sounds so complicated. I might try and get one of these eventually. Wiring up a Joe Jedi with 2 pucks gets so messy.

It says it can be used with a single button, does that mean the actvation and aux/clash button can be one and the same?

Darth Morbius
10-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Wait WHAT?!?!? O_O The 28th?!?!!??!!?

*long pause with agonized look on his face*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:shock:

Maverick :shock::shock::shock:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/Pulse76/star-wars-darth-vader-nooooooooes1.jpg

Wow eight days and we go freakazoid... It wasn't like you were going to get them before Halloween to begin with...

The original date was the 20th for BOARD COMPLETION... That means 3-5 days transit time TO Ultra. 3-5 days transit time FROM Ultra, and let's not forget that all those boards must be tested to make sure they work...

Seriously. Sometimes people need to get a grip on reality. No offense or anything, but this is the kind of thing that make us roll our eyes.

MaverickJsmith
10-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow, never thought someone would take something someone says that seriously. Jesus.

Mavierick -_-;

Silent_Jedi
10-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Wow eight days and we go freakazoid... It wasn't like you were going to get them before Halloween to begin with...

The original date was the 20th for BOARD COMPLETION... That means 3-5 days transit time TO Ultra. 3-5 days transit time FROM Ultra, and let's not forget that all those boards must be tested to make sure they work...

Seriously. Sometimes people need to get a grip on reality. No offense or anything, but this is the kind of thing that make us roll our eyes.

It was just a joke, Friend. ;)

Count Malik
10-19-2008, 12:32 AM
you guys don't wan't a falty board do ya;) meaning the testing is probably very important!:eek:

MaverickJsmith
10-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Of course we want a good board. But some other people don't understand what humor is, and take things too seriously. :wink:

Maverick

sekrogue1985
10-19-2008, 07:33 AM

i couldn't put it any better

that and i would rather have something delayed till it's absolutely perfect ya know...kinda like video games...:P

and while you all wait here's some Caramell Dancin for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0dIpYw75jA&feature=related

Darth Morbius
10-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Of course we want a good board. But some other people don't understand what humor is, and take things too seriously. :wink:

Maverick

Oh I completely understand the humor aspect, sheesh...

But I tell ya, if you saw some of the emails about this very subject that I have seen... Hoo-boy! Sorry if I seemed like I was getting out there, but y'all don't have to get so uptight.

eastern57
10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh I completely understand the humor aspect, sheesh...

But I tell ya, if you saw some of the emails about this very subject that I have seen... Hoo-boy! Sorry if I seemed like I was getting out there, but y'all don't have to get so uptight.

LOL!! :D

I can't even imagine the possible retardness that you absorb over there, dude. It bleeds over a little here too, but not anywhere the same volume or degree... sometimes I'm amazed you still have any patience left at all! ;)

MaverickJsmith
10-19-2008, 01:45 PM
We're all a little uptight about this lol. When you hear "They're supposed to ship out the week of the 20th" to the average joe that means they'll ship to you on the 20th. So when you have that sitting in your head for over a month, when someone says "Oh um, yeah they're actually shipping to Ultra on the 20th", it kind of causes your mind to break a little :mrgreen:

As for the carmell dansen trooper

MADE MY DAY :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

As I watched I thought, "Is he wearing Haruhi's armband?"

And at the very end you can see. "Oh my god it is! YES!" I said.

Thanks sekrogue ^__^

Maverick 8)

ThreeQuadFive
10-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Oct 28th :<

Oh well.

Was really hoping it'd be here for Halloweeny but the hasbro board in mine will have to do for now

Novastar
10-19-2008, 04:25 PM

2 for the LED (pos/neg)
2 for the switch
2 for the speaker
2 for the batteries (pos/neg)Exactly, same as the v1, and pretty much same as any other basic sound-capable saber as you'd imagine.

Subtract the speaker here, and you'd have a direct-drive / resistor-only setup... :)

ThreeQuadFive
10-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, anyone ever wire up a hasbro speaker to the ultrasound, and if so, how was the sound output?

I don't have the $$$ to purchase another speaker and I may or may not have an item to pull one from but in the event I don't have to I just wonder..

LAN-ED-TUL
10-20-2008, 03:59 AM
thats what i have in the vader saber with the US1 board. just make a small echo chamber and its really loud. mine drowns out any stock MR i ever heard. and i too thought it said they ship this week. oh well, guess one more week aint gonna kill me,lol

MaverickJsmith
10-20-2008, 04:15 AM
It might kill some of us *twitch*

Maverick @_@;

EDIT: After some thinking, even if the boards ship the 28th, with the shipping I chose, I'll get my Ultrasound by the 31st at the latest :mrgreen: *dons hateproof/flameproof garb*

Darth Leximus
10-20-2008, 06:46 AM
After some thinking, even if the boards ship the 28th, with the shipping I chose, I'll get my Ultrasound by the 31st at the latest :mrgreen: *dons hateproof/flameproof garb*

I almost hope this doesn't happen, cause if it does I'm gonna have at least 4 of these to wire up on halloween day when I should be out trick or treating with the family. As much as I want the board, I would rather not spend all day halloween wiring up sabers for people.

MoonDragn
10-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, anyone ever wire up a hasbro speaker to the ultrasound, and if so, how was the sound output?

I don't have the $$$ to purchase another speaker and I may or may not have an item to pull one from but in the event I don't have to I just wonder..

I've tried the speaker with the MR sound board. The speaker is just your normal run of the mill 8 ohm speaker. It is bigger than the normal speakers in MRs etc and will not fit in a 1.5 inch hilt.

ThreeQuadFive
10-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Ah cool, thanks :)

Yeah, I have the speaker in my 2nd saber currently sitting in the pommel (drilled a few holes in the end to let the sound out) and for a Hasbro it sounds ok.

Figured I'd wire it up (or use the one from the other Obi Wan I had) and see how it sounds..if its good, leave it for now, and then resolder one later (though I think I'll do a quick disconnect...the great thing about where I work is the hardware guys are all ok with me using some extra wires, quick connectors, shrink tubing, etc..I wub my job).

Still hoping it gets here for the 31st but won't be too disappointed I guess.

LAN-ED-TUL
10-20-2008, 07:01 AM
isnt the real heilnd and real graflexes 1 1/2 inches? they fit perfectly in mine.

Phiily Manyaan
10-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I thought the ID of a graflex was 1.39". Thats what Tim told me because I have a Graflex remote flash and needed a BH milled down to fit inside and he said his Graflex BH's are 1.39".

MoonDragn
10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I thought the ID of a graflex was 1.39". Thats what Tim told me because I have a Graflex remote flash and needed a BH milled down to fit inside and he said his Graflex BH's are 1.39".

That sounds about right, the wall of the Graflex is close to 3/32" thick.

We may be talking about different Hasboro speakers. The one I was looking at was a speaker from the Hasboro Vader saber the ones with the blade that extends. The diameter of the speaker is about 1.6"

Darth Leximus
10-21-2008, 01:29 PM
So does anybody know, for the people like myself who ordered US 2.0 through TCSS, do we have to wait for the boards to be sent to Tim and then sent to us or are they shipping straight from Ultra regardless of where you ordered from?

Roy's Blues
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
They be shipped to Tim, and he will ship them to you.

:rolleyes:

ThreeQuadFive
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
So Tim will be pre-testing them then, or will they do that before they ship to Tim?

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 02:04 PM
if they pre-test any, I havn't heard that they were goin to do that and do you know how long it would take to do that to like 500 or more boards. I would like to have mine before the new year.

LAN-ED-TUL
10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
guess we might have them end of next month from the sounds of it, LOL

ThreeQuadFive
10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
One last question..can I have mine now? :mrgreen:

Roy's Blues
10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I heard there was going to be some testing from DM. As to the size of the sample being tested or if all boards are being tested I have no idea.

What do you think it would be smart for Ultrasabers to do?
Ship them out as soon as they came in without any QC what so ever?
What if a major flaw was discovered by the customers?
Do you want a DOA board?
Do you honestly believe everyone would be calm and reasonable and send their boards back for upgrade/repairs, even though they wanted them a few days earlier?

Or do you think EVERYONE would Freak out and grab some pitchforks and torches and head for Arizona?

Which do you want fast, cheap or quality? Choose two

Lord Dottore Matto
10-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I choose Quality and Quality!:wink:

Darth Leximus
10-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks Roy's for the update. I just wanted to understand the process. Of course some testing should be done and I for one definately want quality over quickness.

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
I too want all my boards to be perfect. I heard ultra should have the boards by the end of october. from there who really knows.

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 04:36 PM
That's the thing that bugs me though. All we heard was "they're supposed to ship out the week of the 20th of October". As I stated before if that's all you hear, you're going to think it's shipping to you the 20th.

Now, don't get me wrong. Yeah I want them to work and be what Ultra and everyone else expects of them, I get that. I can't change when I'll get mine. But, it would have been nice to know a heck of a lot sooner when the actual date was so that, like me, we don't plan our Halloween projects around the magical "week of the 20th" date we were all told, only to find out it'll never happen by Halloween.

I'm just saying a little more communication would have been nice. Not everyone goes to the FX boards constantly to find out news.

Regardless though, I know I'll enjoy the board. Good things come if you wait. And wait I will. With great anticipation 8)

Maverick 8)

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
this is what I get my info from.
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13292.165

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Would have been nice to know about that.

I'm done beating a dead horse, which I've realized is what I'm doing :roll:

I've made my statement and now I'll be descended upon by everyone here or not. Or something else I haven't thought of.

Be kind to a poor fool like me :wink:

Maverick 8)

Roy's Blues
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Go to the FX-sabers board and sign up for the site.
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=99.0 click notify on this tab, and you will get an email, when a new announcement is made.

Or on any of the US 2.0 topics

To be blunt it is not my job/responsibility to come here and post updates on Ultrasabers products even if Tim is carrying it.

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes, that is true, so I appologize. Life is a little hectic right now, and while that's a poor excuse, I have been a little too vocal about this.

Thank you for the link, I will sign up for the newsletter.

And again I appologize for my behavior.

sigh, god I need a break from life @_@

Maverick

EDIT: Uppon clicking the link in the activation email it took me to the forums for about a quarter of a second then I got a popup talking about "Antivirus 2009" and when I click cancel it begins to scan my computer until I close the window. Had to use the activation code directly to activate my account, thought you guys should know.

vortextwist
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
ya they have been looking into that.

Darth Morbius
10-21-2008, 05:38 PM
It's alright Maverick. We're all excited about this board. 8-)

Ultra really was shooting for a Pre-Halloween release, and Jesse was working as fast as possible to get them out the door by then. However, when you are designing a PCB to make sure everything fits right, that is multi-layer, and has to support a specific range of current and voltage with the given components. It is quite time consuming.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that in the electronics world, not preliminary date is ever solid. There will always be obstacles that need to be overcome, and sometimes those bumps in the road can put the project behind for a few days/weeks/months.

Just to clarify, it has always been stated that the ship FROM manufacture date was the 20th, but that was tentative.

I would much rather have an 8 day delay than an 8 week delay. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Uppon clicking the link in the activation email it took me to the forums for about a quarter of a second then I got a popup talking about "Antivirus 2009" and when I click cancel it begins to scan my computer until I close the window. Had to use the activation code directly to activate my account, thought you guys should know.

One thing that we do know is that if you are using a yahoo email address, it almost ALWAYS comes up.

It's not on the FX-Sabers side of things, but something that is on the email provider's servers.

It also sometimes hits for hotmail as well.

gmail typically is pretty clean and clear though, as well as ISP assigned email addresses.

I almost hope this doesn't happen, cause if it does I'm gonna have at least 4 of these to wire up on halloween day when I should be out trick or treating with the family. As much as I want the board, I would rather not spend all day halloween wiring up sabers for people.

I know what you mean!

I have 16 Overlord Sabers from Ultra that are getting US 2.0... I sure hope I get to take the kids out for candy pan-handling! I'd much rather be doing that than hunched over a soldering station assembling these things!

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I've toyed with the thought of it arriving Halloween day. God that'd be a fast trip back to my place and wiring it up. On Friday's my friends and I all hang out. And if it shipped the 28th, I could possibly get it by Friday. So the thought's rolled around in my head lol.

Regardless though, My saber will light up for Halloween! *raises hands anime-style and cackles*

Eehheheheehahahhahahha! MWUAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

Maverick :twisted:

Strydur
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I would have mentioned something earlier had I known. I found out the same way the rest of you did (someone read the fx-sabers site). With US1.0 we went over a month past when they where supposed to ship so this is nothing. Also it says "the week of the 20th" which could mean the 20,21,22,23,24,25...so if you look at it that way the 28th is only 3 days late:rolleyes:

Anyways..as soon as they hit our door we will be turning them back around as fast as humanly possible.

MaverickJsmith
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
You're awesome when it comes to shipping things out Strydur :D I made my first order a week or two ago and bam it came like lightning.

Maverick 8)

ThreeQuadFive
10-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Dunno if its JUST on the email providers side. I get the AV2009 crap no matter where I access FX-Sabers from lately.

I can only tell you it's a pain in the ass if it manages to infect your PC even if you don't do anything.

On the plus side, the jerks behind AV 2009 and some of the spin offs are being sued to high heaven right now :-D

cannibal869
10-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Apparently it's a trojan that affects yahoo email accounts - just forward the email to another address that you may have at say for instance google mail or something and the link should then work fine. I don't really understand all of the nuances, but that's what I did and it seemed to work out fine. Until I did that, I also got the same weird website spam that you reported.

I tried scanning my computer for the trojan and didn't find any spyware to report.

JALF
10-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a quick question. With these boards does the switch need to be latching? I searched the boards, however, only one post said that it had to be latching but just wanted to double check. A latching switch doesnt make sense to me, but im just starting out.

Thanks

Jay-gon Jinn
10-23-2008, 07:38 PM
The Ultrasound board uses a momentary switch.

JALF
10-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Right I saw that part just wanted to make sure that I didnt need to get a latching one. I also dont suppose it matters if it is SPST or SPDT. I am trying to put it in a Darth Maul that I have just converted. I also searched for the switches used or this eheh however the pictures have been deleted and it doesnt specify in the posts which switch. Hehe sorry if I have misunderstood what you were saying. Hehe I am VERY new to this :p

Jay-gon Jinn
10-23-2008, 07:51 PM
It does matter, so you need to get a SPST switch. the momentary sold here in the store will all work except that one, and the momentary/latching switches.

JALF
10-23-2008, 07:54 PM
K im getting ya now thanks so much Jay-Gonn.

Novastar
10-23-2008, 08:11 PM
JALF if you're looking to get a single Ultrasound board to control BOTH ends of a D. Maul... well, a couple of things are going to be in store:

1. It will be difficult if not impossible (more likely the latter) to give the saber the ability to separate into two single sabers.

2. The wiring will determine how you'll be driving both LEDs... either splitting the current amongst both LEDs (halving the runtime of the cells)... or needing double the voltage for your LEDs.

3. If this is your first saber or you are extremely new... this isn't going to be easy to do all of this... :)

If it's just a "single Maul", then you should probably be ok.

JALF
10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Well hehe I was just gonna get one board right now to work one end and just leave the other side on the MR board for right now. I will eventually get 2 boards. The way I see it right now is hehe with X-mas and everything coming up and my GF's Gift list keeps growing(hehe), I only have enough for one side. Eventually I will convert both sides. I was just gonna disable the speaker on the MR board so that it doesnt conflict with the US board. However, I can atleast light up both ends if needed for twirling effects. Besides I kinda like Tatooine mode better anyways. My problem that I can think of is how to mount that switch to the board holder in the MR or if I will have try to fashion another one.

Thanks for the info though hehe. I never actually thought about running both sides off one board that would be hard.

ThreeQuadFive
10-27-2008, 07:32 AM
1 more day, 1 more day, weeeeeeeeeeeee!

tinfoilhelmet
10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
two boards running at the same time in "stereo" so to speak...the phasing effect would would be rad.

MaverickJsmith
10-27-2008, 09:28 PM
One. More. Day.

ThreeQuadFive
10-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Today...Today......ahahahah!

MaverickJsmith
10-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Today. Today they will come :twisted:

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAH!

...We hope.

Darth Morbius
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
This is ridiculous... :rolleyes:

MaverickJsmith
10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah it is Morbius. It surely is :wink:

Maverick 8)

Strydur
10-28-2008, 07:02 PM
They did not show here today. I am not sure if Ultra got his or not. Once I find out more I will let everyone know.

Darth Morbius
10-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah I haven't heard either. so I don't know what's up.

xwingband
10-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, until I see pictures of piles of boards and/or shipping notices it's all just talk. It keeps hopes down.

I didn't order though so it's easy for me to say. :)

Count Malik
10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, until I see pictures of piles of boards and/or shipping notices it's all just talk. It keeps hopes down.

I didn't order though so it's easy for me to say. :)

True that!;):) thought I was a few weeks back but I totlaly forgot about my main dream saber with CF v4.

Roy's Blues
10-28-2008, 07:47 PM
No news to report yet.

swear000
10-28-2008, 08:15 PM
*bites fingernails in excitement*

Jase Kala Maris
11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
peep...

DarthFender
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Uncle Judd: Christ on his throne, no!

Master Raa-nek Tollen
11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Not too much longer from what I have heard...:p

Kant Lavar
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Last I heard, it's still gonna be a couple weeks.

I refuse to be excited until I see emails in my inbox from Tim saying my order is shipped.

LAN-ED-TUL
11-05-2008, 01:54 AM
yeah the wait is killer. whats bad is not hearin any updates on it. i got one i bought, and i was hoping to have it installed already for a 501st gig i gotta this weekend in my vader saber. but guess thats not happenin.

and yes, i run hasbro speakers with the US 1 and will on the US 2. create a 3/4 inch echo chamber and those suckers are ten times louder than a MR FX.

MoonDragn
11-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Yeah those Hasboro speakers are pretty loud. I run one with an MR sound board and its better than the stock MR speakers or the speakers from the store.

The only thing is that its much bigger and won't fit in a standard MHS.

xwingband
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
How do you define better though? Louder isn't the best way to quantify that as it could include distortion or lack of certain frequencies.

I like the speakers I've pulled out of "singing" cards. They're about .5W and larger. They don't fit in MHS pieces but are good.

MoonDragn
11-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I would say the hasboro speakers have a slightly worse high frequency response than the store speakers. Maybe slight distortion, but I was testing it out in an enclosure that may not have been best for sound distribution.

They are no where as good as those titanium hi-fi speakers.

Novastar
11-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't want to help further de-rail the thread TOO much here, but... yeah, when talking about speakers... there is a *LOT* to figure in. You have:

* The speaker's size (which limits, to some degree, the bass)
* Its dynamic range (this means what frequencies it "prefers" and also what happens when it has to play "many" frequencies at once)
* The resonance chamber or cavity (if any)
* Its power capability, and what kind of driving is going on (think of it like the difference between "direct driving" an LED vs. using current regulation... one is "dumb" the other, smart)
* What sounds the speaker was intended for (if applicable)
* What sounds the driver / sound device are primarily "throwing" at the speaker
* Your very own ears! :) (everyone listens differently, just as some say LED X is best, while others say, no... LED Y is brighter)

In any case... you have a WORLD of hurt in trying to get a "one size fits all" kind of thing... although to some extent, you do your best for that by aiming for exactly what X-wing is talking about: broad + "good / better" dynamic RANGE.

Range here is the key word. Not so much volume, although... that is important too! Still, most speakers have a "sweet spot" with frequency responses, and you also have to remember that sound isn't very linear. In other words--your data sheet may say "blah, blah, blah" for frequency range X to Y... but in the REAL world under REAL playing conditions... sound is all over the map! Music... sound effects... it can be crazy stuff.

Voice is a bit different, along with saying "bass" is a bit different. They are more isolated. BUT... when you have sounds that run through a giant GAMUT of frequencies... it gets tough.

This is also primarily why everyone is going to "get different results"... sometimes even with the SAME speaker. Thing is... many of the other conditions often vary.

All I can say is... if you have a product that is COMPLETE, and you've set certain sound frequencies to be played specific to a purpose... having a speaker that is "fine-tuned" for those frequencies is a VERY good idea. As near as I've been able to figure, the MR speaker type was picked out for a very good reason. I can't confirm this, because (back in the day) when I spoke with sound dudes/dudettes from MR, they were either not allowed to say anything... or simply chose not to tell some joker phoning in with no true "relationship". I asked for a little info: they said no. :)

Anyway, if you have a product that is MEANT to be played/toyed with (aka DIY projects like USv1 and v2 or CFvWhatever)... it's usually better to get the "jack-of-many-frequencies" speaker. Now with USv2, I might say it's an exception since the sounds won't be configurable by the user... and then certain speakers for the certain sounds of each board could be FURTHER "pimped out" by choosing the specific speaker for the job. But it's really not THAT big of a deal as long as the speaker has a very nice dynamic RANGE.

*WHEW* :) Sorry for all that. It's just... ugh. Sound is... well, it's not as easy as it looks. Er... sounds. Whatever. :grin:

LAN-ED-TUL
11-05-2008, 09:06 PM
How do you define better though? Louder isn't the best way to quantify that as it could include distortion or lack of certain frequencies.

I like the speakers I've pulled out of "singing" cards. They're about .5W and larger. They don't fit in MHS pieces but are good.

well for me, i think theyre best, cuz with the us1 at least, its louder and CLEAR too. you just need to create that echo chamber so sound gets amped up so to speak, if done right, you get loud clear sound.