PDA

View Full Version : UltraSound V1 repairs?

FenderBender
10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
So I got 3 Ultra Boards with one of my Grab Bags (thanks Tim!) 1 of them looks to be fully functional though I havent fired it up yet. The other 2 however have a couple of peices that are loose from the board in the little baggie that theyre in. My question is to the Electronics Masters out there, are the boards able to be fixed, and is it worth it? If the answer to either of those is yes, would someone be willing to do it for me with details via PM?

Thanks.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/012-6.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/013-7.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/014-8.jpg

Jedi-Loreen
10-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Pictures?

Are they surface mount components, or do you even know?

You need the right size soldering iron tip to do some of that.

Novastar
10-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Fender, I hate to say it, but your post is a little bit akin to me calling up 411 information and asking the operator where my socks are.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-16-2008, 01:57 AM
Bro, post some pix so we can help! BTW Nova, your missing black sock is behind the washing machine and the missing brown one is between the washer and dryer.

FenderBender
10-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Ha! Indeed. I should have taken pics, but it was real late and didnt have the energy. I will post some pics of the offending breakages a little later. I'd love to be able to tell you what they are, but I cant. One does look a little like an IC chip but it doesnt have conventional pins that go through the PCB it rests on a solder pad and has little nubs that stick out on the sides that connect to places on the pad. Originally I though that it had pins that broke off but I cant see them on the other side.

Wow, I just read that and realized that it made NO sense whatsoever. I will take pictures in a little while and post them.

Jedi-Loreen
10-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Made sense to me, you're talking about a surface mounted IC.

I'm a solder technician/electronic assembler.

Pics will be good. :)

Though this kind of soldering is probably beyond the casual saber builder.

Novastar
10-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Bro, post some pix so we can help! BTW Nova, your missing black sock is behind the washing machine and the missing brown one is between the washer and dryer.Thanks... Steven Wright! ;)

MaverickJsmith
10-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Nice catch the with the Ultraboards.

Yes, pictures. Show ussss! We must see how calamity happened to these prized Ultrasounds.

Maverick 8)

Jay-gon Jinn
10-16-2008, 03:44 PM
If you wan to see about having those repaired, contact Darth Tyranus over at fX-Sabers.com He's the repair tech for Ultrasabers.

FenderBender
10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Pics added, as well as parts and their postions marked. I will indeed contact Darth Tyranus though to see what he says. Bump

FenderBender
10-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Anyone?

Count Malik
10-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I would imagine DT or somebody with great skill like that could solder that back on thats all my cents!:D

Roy's Blues
10-17-2008, 10:03 PM
He is Darth Morbius on TCSS, but I do not think he will be able to help you. AT THIS TIME.
Both of us are very busy.

Also, since they were purchased on clearance/grab bag they are not replaceable via Ultrasabers.

FenderBender
10-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Im not looking for Ultra to replace them, I just want to get them functional. I have heard from Darth Tyranus, and He doesnt do reflow work at ALL, so he cant help me.

Darth Morbius
10-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Fender, I hate to say it, but that transistor in the first pic needs replaced.

The IC's are surface mount and must be reflowed to mount them. Unless you have the proper equipment, or know someone that does, those boards are of no use to you.

At this time, there is no way that I can pencil that kind of repair job in.

I have too much going on ATM, but I'm pretty sure that if you look in the right places you can find someone that can do it.

However... There is no guarantee that the boards would work at all, because the programming may not be present on the main controller. especially if the boards have missing components. We don't know if they just had bad connections and fell off in transit, or if the board was bad and the missing components are off due to a repair being stopped.

Since they are from a grab bag, they cannot be exchanged either.

I got your email, but I do have an offer for you that we can handle outside the TCSS forums. It involves a couple of other boards that I have. But I will not go into detail here on the public, because this is TCSS, and not FX-Sabers, and this involves private business not associated with Tim's store.

I'll send you an email tomorrow morning regarding this offer.

**EDIT---

I CAN do reflow work, but I don't own the equipment, nor do I have the time to do so with all that is going on in the next two months regarding builds. If you would like, I can talk to a few associates to see if I can get them to give it a whirl.

FenderBender
10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks a bunch, I look forward to your email.