PDA

View Full Version : my final two basic questions! (i am pretty sure)

astromech_kuhns
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
ive looked a bit but havent found yet. theres just two things i need help on now(im pretty sure;))

so the way the hilt clips to the belt. how do you get D-rings on the hilt and all and what other choices are better? if you do covertec do you need to put a clip on you belt?

also whats neded to make a blade come out of the hilt? im thinking that you need to get a screw that goes through the blade and just unscrew it to take it out and screw it to secure it in there. can any one confirm this cause i think thats it but not sure.

Thanks

Kolton Kuhns

xl97
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
D-rings bolt/screwn on.. usually on the pommel end.

covertec clisp need a covertech holder.. have you looked in the store?

blades are 1 inch in diamter.. blade holder are 1 inner diameter.. they slide in.. a thmbscrew or set screw is tapped into the bladeholder and pushed against the blade while in the baldeholder.. applying pressure.

swear000
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
D-clips can just be screwed into the hilt with a couple of screws. Covertec clips are nice but do require a special belt clip. I put covertecs on all of mine but I only have one belt clip. It is mostly for looks

Blades are held in place with blade retention screws. Some holders have a hole for them already. Others require some drilling. I am not entirely sure if they are always necessary. Some blade holders may work fine without them. On my Graflex and 1.25", I plan on using them. The others, I am still debating.

xl97
10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
D-clips can just be screwed into the hilt with a couple of screws. Covertec clips are nice but do require a special belt clip. I put covertecs on all of mine but I only have one belt clip. It is mostly for looks

Blades are held in place with blade retention screws. Some holders have a hole for them already. Others require some drilling. I am not entirely sure if they are always necessary. Some blade holders may work fine without them. On my Graflex and 1.25", I plan on using them. The others, I am still debating.

if you plan on swinging your saber around AT ALL.... a blade retention screw (whether thumb or set) is needed...

astromech_kuhns
10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
so a screw is needed and it doesnt go throught the blade? that almost worries me. so i can use the covertec screw and use a covertch holder on my belt. does this work pretty well?

im guessing the screws used for pressure are the thumbhead screws?

swear000
10-13-2008, 02:37 PM
covertec clips are so-so. D-clips are more secure. However, it boils down to personal preference. Thumbhead screws are probably best for blade retention screws. The key is having it be just the right length to go through the emitter and not through the blade. It is an added level of security. Obviously, if you are really wild with dueling, something will snap eventually.

chaos
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Some blade holders may work fine without them. On my Graflex and 1.25", I plan on using them. The others, I am still debating.

I can't believe you actually said that. Every blade holder needs some sort of blade retention screw. As xl97 said as soon as you start swinging the saber around, if there is no screw, the blade WILL come flying out.

so a screw is needed and it doesnt go throught the blade? that almost worries me. so i can use the covertec screw and use a covertch holder on my belt. does this work pretty well?

im guessing the screws used for pressure are the thumbhead screws?

Correct, the screw doesn't go throught the blade and don't worry, with a thumbscrew or set screw, the blade won't go anywhere. You'll have a hard time trying to pull it out with the screw tightened.

As for the Covertec situation, I'm not sure where you got the 'covertec screw' from but if you use one of these on the saber:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Black-machined-button-for-Covertec-clip-P116.aspx

and one of these on your belt:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Covertec-Clip-P117.aspx

it will work fine. Its the same thing they used on the prequel movies!!

Edit:

covertec clips are so-so. D-clips are more secure. However, it boils down to personal preference. Thumbhead screws are probably best for blade retention screws. The key is having it be just the right length to go through the emitter and not through the blade. It is an added level of security. Obviously, if you are really wild with dueling, something will snap eventually.

I agree it's down to preference but D-Rings are not more secure. Try attatching two sabers to your belt, one with D-ring the other with a Covertec clip. Now do a hand stand and see which one falls of your belt. It will be the D-ring, the covertec will still be attatched.

astromech_kuhns
10-13-2008, 03:19 PM
ok so for every saber there needs to be a thumb screw of somekind in the blade emiter.

and the clips that go to your belt are optional. and covertec is more secure than D-ring.

swear000
10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
sorry. I was thinking if you epoxy the blade into the holder it wouldn't come out. Of course, if you want the blade to be removable then sure go with a blade retention screw.

Covertec does make a nice clip. However, look at the way th covertec clip holder attaches to the belt. It just slides on with a clip. If you build a secure strap onto your belt to attach a d-clip to then it shouldn't come off if you are riding a roller coaster standing on your head.

Different experiences bring different opinions. Although, I haven't tried riding a roller coaster on my head yet.

astromech_kuhns
10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
ok so covertec or D-Ring just a matter of choice and the way there attached.
in opinions wich is easier to pull the lightsaber off quickly to duel with?

and so i want to tap a hole in the thickest part of my emiter and add a thumb screw and put it in as far as it will go so that it securely holds my bllade.

Phiily Manyaan
10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
sorry. I was thinking if you epoxy the blade into the holder it wouldn't come out. Of course, if you want the blade to be removable then sure go with a blade retention screw.

Covertec does make a nice clip. However, look at the way th covertec clip holder attaches to the belt. It just slides on with a clip. If you build a secure strap onto your belt to attach a d-clip to then it shouldn't come off if you are riding a roller coaster standing on your head.

Different experiences bring different opinions. Although, I haven't tried riding a roller coaster on my head yet.

The belt clip part of the covertec has a little tooth on the backside of he clip that hooks onto the belt. It works especially well if you clip it onto the thinner part of an Obi-Wan style belt, but for wider belts it'll just sort of "bite" it will stay on fairly well. I really doubt you'll be doing flips and whatnot with your saber clipped to the belt. If you have the physical prowess for these moves, most likely you'll be wielding your saber anyhow and the belt clip is light enough to not gain much momentum and fly off if you know what I mean. Either way, d-ring or covertec, your saber isn't going anywhere. And look on any saber in the gallery and you'll see some sort of screw near the blade, what kind is an aesthetic choice. Do you want a screw that sticks out that you can just tighten by hand, or do you want it to sit flush with the outside surface of the saber in which case you'll need to carry an allen key with you. If you want another endorsement, I use covertec, and love it, but again, either will work beautifully.

swear000
10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
covertec is really good with "quick release". In addition, they look nice too.

astromech_kuhns
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
ok i think il go with the thumb screw than and all because its more convienent and i need more things on my saber to help it look better and not so dull!

ill do covertec to and the only thing is the price is kinda hight but ill deal with it;):D