PDA

View Full Version : Blade question

powerwasher5000
11-16-2005, 03:33 PM
ok im building my saber from scratch and i intend to order all my blade suplies for my EL from you, but i had a question about tube diameter,I like the profile if the 1 inch tube,and want to us the EL wire in it,ive figure out the blade mounting so in that respect im good,what i want to know is if im gonna need more EL wire to light up the extra 1/4 inch diameter,and if so how much more?

thanks

yodaflies
11-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I am new to the whole lightsaber building and need some help. I have several hilts already made. I need to know what ALL i need so that i can order it all at once. Also i am having some serious trouble figuring out how to attache the blade. How do i connect the mono plug to the EL wires? Do i need the "install screw set"? Is the only purpose of the inverter to brighten the blade? what purpose does the HD polyethylene serve? if someone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

Strydur
11-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Power,

I dont know of anyone who has made a 1" EL blade so not sure there.

Yoda,

Have you looked at the tutorials? They explain how to build blades and how to hook up the electronics in the hilt.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

yodaflies
11-16-2005, 09:51 PM
is the inverter absolutely needed? what does it do?

xwingband
11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Yup, the inverter is needed for sure.[:D] Unlike LEDs that can just run off a battery the inverter is what allows the EL to light up.

vadeblade
11-17-2005, 10:05 AM
EL wire needs AC electricity. An invereter changes low voltage DC from a battery to high Voltage, high frequency AC which the EL needs to glow bright. I'm not really sure what the voltage is on inverters Tim sells but it can give you an unpleasant zap.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

Strydur
11-17-2005, 10:42 AM
its around 140 volts..but really low amperage thats why it just gives you a light tap and doesnt shock the crap outta ya.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

GeluKhanGharr
11-17-2005, 12:06 PM
"Light tap" ? Man, you must have pretty high tollerance for pain. I call these things low-budget tasser guns. And don't let your kids get the shock, it will scare the **** out of them. Literaly! I know [:(]

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.

powerwasher5000
11-17-2005, 02:43 PM
so in reguars of the 1" EL blade ill be a revolutionary!striking out into the realms of uncharted well yatayatayata
i think ill try a pass or 2 more with the wire to compensate for the larger blade cavity!thx

masterblaster
12-09-2005, 03:14 PM
I dont know diddly about electricity but I repsect it [:D]
This little "zap"....when does that happen,everytime I turn it on or what? I just found this site and already Im freaked,I got 2 little boys that would love these,but I dont want them to be afraid to use 'em.Any help guys?

Thanks

GeluKhanGharr
12-09-2005, 03:34 PM
You get zapped when you assemble the thing or if you don't properly insulate the connections. A well done finished product will never zap anyone. And even if you get zapped, the current is so low, there is no danger. Maybe it would be a good ideea to let your boys see what it feels like, so they learn the proper respect for electricity and never stick a nail in a wall outlet. I've been considering doing it to my 5 year old, but it just seems so cruel. Still thinking about it - it is a powerful lesson after all, and harmless.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

masterblaster
12-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for letting me know,I was curious.As far as cruel....maybe a licking a 9 volt would be better.[;)]

Darth Vengus
12-09-2005, 06:47 PM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Unless you like that sort of thing[:p]...

Vengus</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

Jedi-Loreen
12-20-2005, 01:36 PM
<font size="3"><font face="Verdana"><font color="purple">You guys are wimps. lol

I've been shocked so many times that I hardly feel it anymore. House hold current is barely a tingle to me.

I do admit that it does sting when an inverter zaps you. I have one that's too large to fit inside a saber that I use to test my wire during every stage of blade construction. I want to know immediately if one of the fine wires breaks or there is any other problem. So I just have the bare wires that I put onto the wire or connector. There's a lot of potential for me to shock myself that way. [:p] Maybe I like, I don't know.

But I used to work on circuit boards and computer monitors and got shocked all the time, so I guess I'm used to it.

Once, on a monitor I was working on, I forgot to discharge the anode on the CRT and got zapped by over 200,000 volts. [:0] I'm still alive because I wasn't grounded and amperage was low. That one definietly hurt. My heart didn't like it much either. [xx(]</font id="purple"> </font id="Verdana"> </font id="size3">

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

xwingband
12-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Isn't 200,000 volts enough to stop your heart?[:0]

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

scaarmor
12-20-2005, 06:35 PM
I dont know if 200,000 volts will kill you, its not the volts that kill its the amps. Trust me I know (8 degrees in the automotive field). It is however enough to scare the crap out of you. This I know from personal experience as well. I have been shocked more times than I can count by vehicles. Cars run on 12 volts, however certian componants within it ramp up power to staggering limits (such as the coil & distributer). I once took around that same amount through my finger, down my torso, and out to ground to the fender through well, lets just say "my personal lightsaber" as my wife would say. Charred the hell out of my pants and the fender---NOT FUN!!! Just thought I would share my voltage story...

Cain

suit_man
12-20-2005, 06:37 PM
volts aren't what kills you, amps are.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

informalmyx
12-21-2005, 06:27 AM
i am like loreen electricity rarly phases me i am like one of the guys off of the show Jackass or viva la bam or wildboyz. i been shocked by a bunch of different tazers including police grade. and have been maced and pepper sprayed.

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

Stan Johnson
12-22-2005, 10:52 AM
At least nobody can claim that you haven't lived.

There are those who call me Piemaster

informalmyx
12-22-2005, 02:32 PM
hey stan did you used to play star wars galaxies

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

Stan Johnson
01-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Wow, I haven't posted in a while. No, I have never played Star Wars Galaxies. I'm a steam man.

There are those who call me Piemaster