PDA

View Full Version : I'm the new guy... lol

PsH A Dead Guy
10-10-2008, 08:56 PM
So, I've been browsing around on the forums for about 2 weeks now, reading as much as I possibly could. I HATE being the noob, but thats what I am. I've never done anything like this before at all. But I LOVE the idea. This stuff is awesome! So anyways, I would like to introduce myself, I'm A Dead Guy, lol. I ordered a few things last week, after reading up a bit, I decided to go with an LED saber using the Modular Hilt System. It seemed like possibly one of the simplest designs for someone new to make a nice looking saber, without being too complicated. I also salvaged a Hasbro sound board from a Force Action Obi-Wan to stuff into this baby lol. And I snagged one of the grab bags, 51 if I remember correctly. So anyways, here are some pics, sadly, no lights yet, I'll be ordering the blade and LED equipment with my next paycheck. :D

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l377/PsHADeadGuy/IMG_0106.jpg

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l377/PsHADeadGuy/IMG_0103.jpg

Its nothing too special yet, but I honestly like the nice simple design. I plan on making another saber to compliment it, because in the game Jedi Academy, my favorite saber style was the dual sabers. :D

Lord Preston
10-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you here.:-D We were all new here, so no problem. And nice saber you got there.

eastern57
10-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Let me be the second one to welcome you here :D Yes, yes - very nice saber, good potential! Enjoy your stay.

PsH A Dead Guy
10-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Thank you both! I've really enjoyed building it so far! And I'm sure I'll love it even more when it lights up :D

I decided to keep the actual hilt a little smaller since I plan on using two sabers, it only needs to be one handed... But sadly, I've learned that it really limits the room I have inside the handle for components and wires lol. I'll probably end up building more than just the two, because I think a staff would be pretty cool, and maybe a two handed saber... with fancy features... and maybe accent LEDs lol...

Oh, I forgot to mention, this forum taught me how to solder. I was a bit intimidated at first, but I figured it couldn't possibly be too hard lol

*EDIT* Oh, and by the way Eastern, I love your signature. That was by far my favorite scene in those cartoons. In fact, maybe even my favorite scene in Star Wars history lol

eastern57
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks... that's actually me... at my last family reunion - after I won the lottery ;) okay, not really... :D

PsH A Dead Guy
10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Lol, your whole family is clones!!!

So as for colors for my blade, I think I'm leaning towards either Amber, Orange, or a very light Blue.... But then again, since I plan to build multiple sabers, I'll probably have them ALL eventually! lol

Lord Dottore Matto
10-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Lol, your whole family is clones!!!

So as for colors for my blade, I think I'm leaning towards either Amber, Orange, or a very light Blue.... But then again, since I plan to build multiple sabers, I'll probably have them ALL eventually! lol

Welcome! Oh, and yeah, you will likely build them all!:mrgreen:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Hi, and welcome!

Check out this thread:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5732

I have a white Seoul P4, and I tested it with a bunch of different Lee filters. I tried all of the colors you mentioned, so you can see how they look.

PsH A Dead Guy
10-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Oh wow, awesome. I was actually debating whether I should get the P4 and the colored disks, or pick a single color. Right now I've only got 6 volts running in my hilt, not sure if that will be enough for the P4, so I'll do some reading.

Jedi-Loreen
10-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Welcome!

We love newbies who actually READ the forums :D before asking a bunch of questions that have been answered many times already. :rolleyes:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-12-2008, 11:28 AM
6V is more than enough for the P4. The forward voltage of it is similar to the Lux III at about 3.9V or so. I've got 4.8V in my saber, running through a Crystal Focus board. As long as you have a resistor, a puck, or some kind of driver, you'll be fine. You mentioned a Hasbro board. Are you putting it on that? If you are, that would be OK too.

PsH A Dead Guy
10-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I have a Hasbro Board so I'll be running it on that. Eventually I plan to get a different board, but I figured basic sound would be good enough for now. Though I did upgrade the speaker on it lol. Found one at Radio Shack for 89 cents, its sooo much louder. I think I'll start with a simple resistor, since at the moment money is a bit of an issue, with school payments and all lol. But eventually I'd like to get my hands on some buckpucks.

My plan for sabers, is first a pair of sabers, dual sabers. they probably won't match at all, but they don't really need to. Then, I'll either be making a two-handed saber, which I'd be able to fit a bunch more electronics in... or a double-bladed saber... Hmm... decisions decisions... lol