PDA

View Full Version : Building two simple sabers, looking for names.

Kant Lavar
10-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Okay, so after my near-disaster with my first saber, I'm trying something a bit different. Well, two things a bit different.

I've got orders in for two US2 sound cards, and I'm looking to put them into two different sabers. One will be mine, the other a Christmas present for my brother. Neither saber has a name or a story attached to it.

Mine:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5716/jimsaberki2.png

I've already got all the parts save battery, US2, and switch bezel nut. The battery I picked was the TCSS' 4.8v 2600mAh li-ion pack. I'm not a hundred percent on exactly where the recharge port is gonna go (likely on a level with the switch, offset by 90 degrees), but that's an easy issue. The one thing I'm thinking about, though, is I have a green K2 and a green 3.5W P4 that I could use - part of me wants to stick the P4 in there, instead of the K2, but I'm not sure I have enough left in the power budget that. (If someone knows better than I what the power numbers would be, I'd appreciate help.)

My brothers':
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1030/gregsaberrx0.png

This one is all on order, and shipping with the US2 cards. While I was on leave I showed him the Saber Builder program, and this was what he put together and proclaimed he liked. Again, 4.8v 2600mAh li-ions, recharge port (probably in the same place as on mine, but since this doesn't have the grips I've a few more options there), US2, and blue K2. Nice and simple.

tinfoilhelmet
10-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Jerry Rig
Fred

Jay-gon Jinn
10-10-2008, 01:53 AM
The only issue I see with your battery pack plans are that the Li-Ion battery pack Tim sells is actually 7.2 volts, not 4.8volts. The 4.8 volt packs are all NiMH packs. The 4.8volt packs should be fine with a K2, and the 7.2volt Li-Ions will be fine as well.

swear000
10-10-2008, 03:21 AM
deathbringer...and his cousin vinnie..er..I mean nightshadow

ThreeQuadFive
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Hmm..

Pie and More Pie.

Pie 1 and Pie 2.

Mmmm 3.415...

Angelus Lupus
10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Not to be picky, but...
That's 3.14159...etc. ;) And on the subject of pie, why not: Weebl and Bob?

ThreeQuadFive
10-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Oops my pie is rusty :D

How about badgerbadgerbadger and MUSHROOMMUSHROOM!

annon
10-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Bert and Ernie :p

swear000
10-10-2008, 07:13 PM
forgot about this classic combo....cloak and dagger

Kant Lavar
10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
forgot about this classic combo....cloak and dagger
Hmm...

*has visions of two all-black shotos with red blades, and notes for future use*

Lord Dottore Matto
10-11-2008, 12:48 AM
PFC Stephens, how about Sarge and Grunt or Gunny or, well you get the idea! :mrgreen:

Kant Lavar
10-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Hmm, green blade for me, blue blade for him, I'm in the Army, he was in the Navy...

Grunt and Squid? ;)

Lord Dottore Matto
10-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Hmm, green blade for me, blue blade for him, I'm in the Army, he was in the Navy...

Grunt and Squid? ;)

YES!!!!:p

Kant Lavar
10-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Well, for now, I think I'm going to go with "Grunt" and "Squid" - though I reserve the right to come up with a more official one for mine, and Greg's... well, that's up to him. It'll be his gorram saber, after all. :-P

All in all, though, I like these as "first-attempt" sabers. The more simple, less ornate ones that a Padawan would make when he does the first go-around, that he uses until he replaces them later, as a Jedi Knight. (Or somesuch - that's just what's going through my head.)

Though I do think I know what I want to do next - I just have to figure out what I can cram in there (CF3 vs US2) and where exactly it'll go. Likely it'll have a cyan blade in there, too - ordered the stuff to make a cyan K2 star from luxeonstar.com earlier. Ideally, I'd like to do the whole recharge-port-in-the-pommel thing, plus main power and low battery LEDs. We'll see, once I get my first one done.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8458/nextsaberji2.png

Sam Skirata
10-12-2008, 10:22 AM
forgot about this classic combo.... Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson

Fixed.

Kant Lavar
10-21-2008, 05:11 AM
I was messing around with the MHS parts I have on-hand, and ended up making a minor change for Grunt: I decided to change the emitter from stye 9 to a style 5 I had doing nothing. I had played with the idea before on the MHS Builder, but for some reason, I decided I liked it more in real life than I did on-screen.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2084/jimsaberv2cj6.png (http://imageshack.us)

In other news, my package from luxeonstar.com arrived today - including PCBs and red, amber, and cyan K2s and the L2 all-in-one K2 optics I'm trying out. I'm not sure if they're as tall as the regular ones Tim sells - I doubt they're taller. It shouldn't be an issue as they've got adhesive pads with them so once I solder in the LEDs I slap the optics on and call it a day. I'll post up how well those work as soon as I get my US2s and other associated parts in for Squid. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, Tim. :cool: )

samurai_rob
10-26-2008, 08:52 AM
I've always been partial to Talon & fang for my sith sabers. If you're gonna be jedi scum, then go with something noble-sounding like foe-hammer and lightwing...just a thought.