PDA

View Full Version : First saber looking to build quick

Funkenstein
10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
First off im new here and this place is really great.

I need to build a saber for my son for his birthday. Its only 2 weeks away and he needs it for Halloween because he is being a Jedi. I was just going to go on ebay and get the Yoda Master Replica but boys are boys after finding this place I am looking at building a simple Sink tube design that will hold up to a beating. I was going to use copper 1 1/4" and either a chrome or copper outer shell design. I just need a proper parts list I have saved in my cart a TCSS complete battle blade and the 1.25" sink tube LED/Blade holder. I want the Lux V Kit so I can have green blade but would a Lux III be better? either way both kits are not available currently hopefully they will be soon. I think that kit comes with everything else I might need. If it doesnt please let me know what else I might need.

I do want the possibility of a future upgrade to sound and stuff so maybe one you can help and point me in the right direction. I am sure everything is here in the forums and I am sorry I dont have time to search it all out.

Thanks in advance!

goldsaberwarrior
10-08-2008, 02:09 PM
if you need to get it built quick i would recommend getting a complete blade, a driver from here, a lux 3w led, an mhs sink tube adapter, an mhs blade holder, and some set screws for the blade plus switches. that'll get you a functioning hilt. if you want sound and stuff I recommend get a crystal focus from erv. you'll need more money if you want sound but they're really cool. if all you need is a parts list that's everything you'll need.

Ghostbat
10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
First off im new here and this place is really great.

I need to build a saber for my son for his birthday. Its only 2 weeks away and he needs it for Halloween because he is being a Jedi. I was just going to go on ebay and get the Yoda Master Replica but boys are boys after finding this place I am looking at building a simple Sink tube design that will hold up to a beating. I was going to use copper 1 1/4" and either a chrome or copper outer shell design. I just need a proper parts list I have saved in my cart a TCSS complete battle blade and the 1.25" sink tube LED/Blade holder. I want the Lux V Kit so I can have green blade but would a Lux III be better? either way both kits are not available currently hopefully they will be soon. I think that kit comes with everything else I might need. If it doesnt please let me know what else I might need.

I do want the possibility of a future upgrade to sound and stuff so maybe one you can help and point me in the right direction. I am sure everything is here in the forums and I am sorry I dont have time to search it all out.

Thanks in advance!

Here's the quick and dirty basic saber as I would do it (there are other ways to go minimalist, but I only have the one set of opinions to work with).

graphics, thanks to http://www.saberbuilder.com/

Option 1 (a little cooler)

http://www.plushdeath.com/stuff/pics/sabers/saber1.png

Sink tube
Electronics kit (LED, resistor, switch, lens, lens holder)
Blade
2X Sink Tube Adaptor
Blade holder of your choice (comes with heatsink)
Pommel of your choice
8x 8-32 x 1/4" button head screw
thumbscrew of your choice (to hold blade)
Pommel insert of choice
MPS Clip (to hold insert in)

Option 2 (I think a little cheaper)

http://www.plushdeath.com/stuff/pics/sabers/saber2.png

Sink tube
Electronics kit (LED, resistor, switch, lens, lens holder)
Blade
Sink Tube Adaptor
Sink tube LED/Blade holder (comes with heatsink)
Pommel of your choice
8x 8-32 x 1/4" button head screw
thumbscrew of your choice (to hold blade)
Pommel insert of choice
MPS Clip (to hold insert in)

Add fiddly bits to taste and bob's your uncle.

I think I got everything there... If it were me I would go with type 1 so you could pick a cooler looking blade holder which will give the saber more personality even before you add any detailing.

Sairon
10-08-2008, 03:42 PM
do you want sound? if not all you need is a lux 3 kit (which has all your needed electronics) a 1.25 sinktube, 1.25 sinktube end cap, and a 1.25 sinktube blade holder. Also if your soon will be duling I would get the tcss battle blade and have it cut down to 34 inches at least just so that the blade has all of it's strength.

Funkenstein
10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks that is kinda what I thought. I will order the Blade Holder, Lux III kit & TCSS Blade and go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the copper sink tube I want to use. This being my first saber I am not going fancy from the get go. Maybe I will add sound and effects later on but I am not going to spend that kind of money at the moment.

Anybody know when the kits will be available again. I think its just lens holder is out of stock.

Also since I am going to use copper piping I think the green would be the best color especially after the copper tarnishes up a bit. How much difference would there be in the coloring if I were to use a Lux V kit and maybe even upgrade to the Corbin Quad wrap blade. Then later add that driver board for effects and maybe sound after that.

Also would it be beneficial to add the 1000 mA buckpuck if I plan on adding a driver board later? or would I just rewire the saber and add the buckpuc with the driver board?

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
A driver board completely replaces a buckpuck or resistor so if you intend on adding a driver later anyway then you might want to save your money and just go with the cheaper resistor for now.

And yes a green saber blade on a copper hilt looks nice. The Lux V green isnt necessarily a different colour than the Lux III green...shades of colour in LEDs is determined by bin # not wattage...the real difference between Lux III and Lux V is that Lux V is considerably brighter but needs higher voltage. There is also the Lux K2 which is also brighter than the Lux III in most 'Jedi' colours but uses higher amperage to achieve that rather than higher voltage as the Lux V does...as in most things in life there are tradeoffs to each approach for the higher powered LEDs [battery size vs battery life etc] but the basic Luxeon III LED is still a good choice for beginning with sabers...I have quite a few and still like them.

The Corbin Blade is mainly advantageous in that it produces a 'bright core' effect similar to the Original Trilogy sabers and that it can produce a pseudo-ramping-up/down effect with certain pulse wave modulation drivers like the Corbin LED driver sold here or also the Ultrasound or Plecterlabs Crystal Focus PWM driver/soundboards...the quad wrap is a bit more even lighting along the length of the blade and a bit less core effect...the double wrap is vice versa...its just a matter of personal taste which one prefers. If you are starting off with a resistor or buckpuck not a PWM driver board you don't really need a Corbin blade to begin with but if you are planning to get a driver that supports its PWM effects later you might want to get one...your choice.

MTFBWY constructing your first saber.