PDA

View Full Version : Blade Diameter?

vadeblade
11-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Why does an LED setup use a different blade diameter than EL? To put it another way, how is a 1 inch diameter polycarbonate tube more ideal than a 3/4 inch diameter tube? Would a 3/4 inch tube work?
Thanks,
-V

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

arlaman
11-16-2005, 12:16 PM
the 1" blade "looks" more like the movie and gives the light the right effect. Look in the galleries and compare the LED lightsabers with the EL and you'll understand better I think. The 1" is also less whippy and sturdier stuff.

GeluKhanGharr
11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
It would have been ideal if we could make the EL blades at 1", but that would have taken much more wire, the blade would have been too heavy and you would have needed a bigger inverter. The way I see it, 3/4 was a compromise. Now we can go to 1" with Luxeon, so we do. That doesn't mean you can't stay at 3/4 if you like it that way. The optics for a Luxeon are close to 1" and permit a good beam on the 1" blade, but I suspect they should work just as well on 3/4 if you have a good holder. The MR FX Anakin AOTC used EL and was 1", but it used a custom made rolled-up sheet, not a full core of wire.

The crystal is the heart of the blade.
The heart is the crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
The Force is the blade of the heart.
All are intertwined:
The crystal, The blade,The Jedi.
You are one.

vadeblade
11-17-2005, 09:55 AM
After I posted the question I looked in other sites for making LED blades. Looks like another reason for going with 1 inch is so you can insert a smaller polycarb tube that has been bead blasted or sanded to a frosted finish. The interior tube gives a better blade core effect. Anyone here tried that? pictures?

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."