PDA

View Full Version : O great Electronics geniuses

ArkaiHalon
10-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I've spent two days searching for a small enough latchign switch to use on Vyper. no luck.

Is there a way to turn a momentary switch into a latching switch?
I admit i am out of my element here. I've read about relay's and such, but I've got no clue what to get or how to hook it up.

Any help would be appreciated

Darth_DevilGuy
10-02-2008, 02:22 PM
hmmm...

looking at the hilt there's no where to mount it except through the ribbed section or on the switch box.

I'd think the switch box would be a cool place to put it, then you could use a standard lamp style latching slider and use the exposed wire bit as the actual switch wire.

or you could drill a hole through the v-grooved section for the plunger of one of tim's standard latching switches and custom mount the switch itself on the inside on a piece of PVC or some other material.

Donnovan Sunrider
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I usually like seeing tactile buttons embedded into ribbed sections. It's elegant, simple and will be more easily reached while using the sabre to activate the clash.

xl97
10-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Im confused.. is AH asking for placement suggestions?

Donnovan Sunrider
10-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Well, he seems to be asking how to make a momentary into a latching switch. Not having any clue how to do that, I'm tossing out other ideas.

Not knowing the sound card at use, I dunno if latching is the only option.

Novastar
10-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Arkai... there really isn't (a way to change a mom. into a latch).

You'd have to look for a switch with at least SIMILAR size specs and try to make it happen.

I feel your pain... and that right recently... I switched a saber from being a momentary Corbin to an FX. It originally had a round "anti-vandal" switch, and what I did is buy a rocker "flip switch" of similar diameter. It worked like a charm although I don't like the switch type.

BUT... it fits *EXACTLY* the same. :)

xl97
10-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Nova/AH-

what about these:

http://www.rjselectronics.com/PDF/PB613x.pdf

ArkaiHalon
10-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm sure there is SOME way, since the corbin board can turn a momentary input into "latching" input. ARGH.

to answer the question, I'm using a MR vader for sound/LED.
Taking it out of my Sentinel (putting a Joe Jedi with a buckpuck in that one instead)

I guess I'll have to find a small enough slider to fit in the control box.
That's no easy task either.

xl97
10-02-2008, 03:39 PM
AH-

I got a slide switch from RatShack that was SUPER tiny... I posted a pic of it housed in the side of a 616 control box.. (fits in where the lever used to stem out from)...

heres the thread:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4907&highlight=PLI%2A

just to give you an idea..

xl97
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
NOVA!!!... (paisan) LOL

lol.. you'd know if those buttons were acceptable to use... chime in chief. :)

Im not 100% seems to be options? push on..push off?

Jedi-Loreen
10-02-2008, 03:58 PM
NOVA!!!... (pisan) LOL

UGH! :roll:

xl97
10-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I guess I dont get it?

but from my end (to be clear).. he always posts that on another forum we both frequent... so I was just 'ribbing' him a little..

or is that NOT ok? I dont want you to get all BIG & BLUE font on me now... :rolleyes:

ArkaiHalon
10-02-2008, 04:05 PM
AH-

I got a slide switch from RatShack that was SUPER tiny... I posted a pic of it housed in the side of a 616 control box.. (fits in where the lever used to stem out from)...

heres the thread:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4907&highlight=PLI%2A

just to give you an idea..

Sweet. That might work. hehehehehe

Thanks

xl97
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Sweet. That might work. hehehehehe

Thanks

did you check out the link to that .pdf I posted for you guys to check out?

not sure if they are momentary or can be used either way...

anyways in the PLI link.. I put a momentary button on the other side as well.. not sure what your needs are but you can have both in the activation box liek I did.

eastern57
10-02-2008, 06:52 PM
The slider switches that come with the MR sabers are actually way small and not bad quality - I have a ton, I'll send you some - try them out, see what works.

And btw - it Paisan or Paisano ... I see pisan and I think Pee-san

xl97
10-03-2008, 05:13 AM
LMAO..I didnt even catch that...LOL

thanks..

MoonDragn
10-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Theres plenty of ways to turn a momentary into a latching switch. It is called a switching circuit.

Heres an example circuit:

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/472837f1.pdf

The beauty of circuits like that is that you can use lower rated tiny switches without fear of burning it out.

jsbach1982
10-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Is there a way to turn a momentary switch into a latching switch?

Absolutely. It's called a 'latching relay'.

And to answer a related question, that's exactly how Corbin's board turns a momentary input into a latching output: there's a latching relay in the circuit. Pretty sure that's what's on the Ultrasound board as well.

-Jono

MoonDragn
10-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Problem with relays that I've found is that they tend to wear out after use. Not as reliable as the above circuit.

Its mechanical vs solid state.

xl97
10-03-2008, 11:32 AM
MD- are te switches/buttons in the .pdf link I posted worthless then?

are they all momentary?

MoonDragn
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
MD- are te switches/buttons in the .pdf link I posted worthless then?

are they all momentary?

Push to lock = Latching.

The problem is those switches are rated at .1 A. The LEDs inside are rated at 20 mA. That means they can't be used as power switches anyway. Although they would be cool activator switches for AUX sounds etc.

Edit> Let me rephrase that... As long as you are running 5V or less, those switches are fine. Anything higher and they will probably burn out. You can wire a resistor in series to make it work, but that will just cut down the current to the LED.

Might be able to use it for the sound boards, as usually the switches are connected to a circuit for activation and do not require high current.