PDA

View Full Version : Looking for artists

Darth Leximus
10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
OK, some of you may remember a while back I was talking about a video game that my best friend and I are working on for consideration by Visual Concepts (the production company behind studios like 2k games). Well we decided to expand the project beyond the video game world and we are currently working on a unique marketing campaign that will include some short films and most importantly a short series of comics.

We've recently run into a snag with our lead artist and will most likely have to reassign him to a less demanding role....possibly much less demanding :( So we are looking for talented artists to possibly take his place and/or supplement work done by other artists (like myself). Anyway before any details about the project are given I need to communicate that for the time being this would be a pro-bono situation, meaning there will not be any payment at first. This is because we aren't being paid yet, so there isn't any money to go around. We hope that once we get a decent amount of stuff together we can take what we have to our contacts at VC and have them officially sign on to make the project and give us some $! If that doesn't happen we are going to continue to make this project a reality on our own and sell it off afterward.

Anyway, enough babbling, if you are interested in getting your work out there and having an oppurtunity to work on a project that I know everyone here will enjoy, please send me some of your work and let me know your area of expertise. All works submitted for our review will not be publicly shown or posted in any way shape or form and will only be used as means of a resume to evaluate talent of the artist for consideration for this project.

Let me end by saying that we are DEAD SERIOUS about this. This project is our baby and we feel it is absolutely AMAZING as far as the universe we've created and the stories we have to tell, all we need is a talented artist to bring our vision to life. This is our dream and we are ready to start living it, join us!

If you are interested send any work to my email nbar88@gmail.com

Darth Leximus
10-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I really thought there would be some interest here for this, but I guess I was wrong.

The search continues....

xl97
10-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Well you didnt say much.. all I got from it was HYPE.. and no meat.

what kind of artist? Animator? Graphics? Motion? Photohsop? or more Illustration/Vector like Illustrator? a Flash Artist?

what kind of things are you talking they need to make? maps type stuff for tiling or rendering? posters?

The more you give..the easier it is to get feedback. ;)

Darth_DevilGuy
10-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd be interested If I had the time, but as it is, I work as a sysadmin which is pretty hectic/time consuming, with Sabers and AoC I have no extra time to do any kind of serious artwork.

Darth Leximus
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Well you didnt say much.. all I got from it was HYPE.. and no meat.

what kind of artist? Animator? Graphics? Motion? Photohsop? or more Illustration/Vector like Illustrator? a Flash Artist?

what kind of things are you talking they need to make? maps type stuff for tiling or rendering? posters?

The more you give..the easier it is to get feedback. ;)

The reason why there wasn't much meat was because we are not going to share details of the project till we have some potential candidates. With that said, you're right I should have been more specific as to what we need, so here ya go...

At this stage we are concentrating on the comics, we need pencil artists, color artist, photoshop and illustrator skills would definately be a plus as well.

We totally understand that some of you are extremely busy, mainly because we are too, but this is our dream and what we want to be doing for the rest of our lives so we find the time and work when we can.

Thanks again for any consideration, hope to hear from some of you, but if not, hey we are all still friends :p

MTFBWY

xl97
10-02-2008, 04:39 PM
awesome.. thats what I meant..not details about your project.. but details about the artist type you need.

comic bok style/stuff.. you will definately need a vector artist for your line art.. no doubt..

if they can double as being a guru with photoshop, then you may have a colorist a well.

too bad you arent paying.. my buddy does that for a living.. but hes not really a star wars geek like us... plus hes kinda tight about money..LOL

but he a pro no doubt about it.. lots of his work you may have seen (JEEP, Tommy Hillfiger, Harely, Areosmith..ad the list goes on and on).. when I used to teach.. Id have come up as my guest speaker.... (he'd always bring freebies for my students) LOL

Darth Leximus
10-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the input, we were thinking along those lines as well.

Your friend sounds like he must be very talented. I wish we could pay it would make this whole ordeal much, much easier! As it stands though we need to find someone with close to our same ideals who doesn't mind putting in some work for the chance to have their art seen (and paid for) by thousands of people. This is why I don't expect this search to be a short one, but every journey starts somewhere.

987654321a
10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I can put in some of my artistic efforts for this. What are the requirements.

Dark Helmet
10-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I can make Maquettes if you need a real life 3d object, as long as I have enough images of what you need. I have won a few awards for this, and had a local showing for my work until my entire catalog (save one lost when I lost my temper and threw it) was stolen. Detailing will vary according to the need for it...I'm better with alien type figures, human works are not really a strength for me, keep that much in mind...and time is an issue...BUT I can make them if needed. just thought this may be a cool addition to it....

Darth Leximus
10-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Countdown: At this point we aren't turning away anything. If you wanna send me some work I guarantee you it won't be used or shared by anyone the only people to see it will be myself and my partner. Specifically though we are looking for sketch artists, vector artists, colorists and photoshoppers. Any work can be sent to my email in the first post.

Helmet: That sounds awesome, but at this point we are concentrating on 2D art for the comic. You're skills could definately come in handy when we move the project on too the game.

Thanks to both of you for your interest.

Sairon
10-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Mabye you should talk to ArkiHalon. I think his wife needs a job and does that kind of thing. I would do it but I have school:(

xl97
10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
I think she got a job that same day or somethign very close.. (thank god... hard to be out of a job in this economy)

987654321a
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I dont have many of the new school computer art gizmos that let you draw masterpieces, but I can sketch things by hand and go into illustrator, and just do it the old school way. I will send over a little comic strip, I am working on.

Darth Leximus
10-08-2008, 06:55 AM
That would be awesome Countdown, looking forward to seeing it

Novastar
10-09-2008, 06:40 AM
I sent you an e-mail Darth Lex... gee, I guess I know ALL TOO WELL what it means to have visions/ideas--and the need for some kind of team to help see them to fruition.

Just beware: finding team members (whether pro-bono or NOT) of quality and follow-through is actually a lot more difficult than it sounds. The only thing I can say that I hope gets through is... no matter what... pay or no pay... GET THEM TO SIGN AN AGREEMENT of *some* sort. :)

Darth Leximus
10-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I know all too well the difficulties involved in this search. We had a good friend of ours who was offered an equal partenership in our business to be our artist. He is the one who bowed out because of a lack of confidence in his own abilities. Over a years time was wasted because of all the delays on getting finished art done.

Countdown and Nova if you have sent me anything via email I have not received it. I tested the link in my first post and its working for me.

xl97
10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
comign from someone who does web & graphics work for their career.. not to mention TONS of freelace work/contracts..

"I" personally woudl NEVER sign an agreement for a non-paying job.. and it would actually leave a bad taste in my mouth to be asked..

just opinions from the 'flip side' I suppose.. ;)

Novastar
10-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Xl97, I guess I'm just old-fashioned in the idea that... your word is your bond... used to mean something. Those who know me know that if I say I'll do it... it means I will. It's true that things like BOP can get out of my own control (ironically), since it relies on like a dozen other people... but I can't remember any important promises I ever broke to anyone regarding team efforts. However... MANY promises made to ME have been broken over the years--on many projects, in many ways. Just a question of what type of individual people are.

Problem is... THESE days? Again, someone's word means jack-$#!^ to me. Sadly. I've personally had my fill of "Hey, hey, yeah, yeah!! I'm excited! I'm gonna do X and Y and then Z and then..." ... none of which ever gets done.

The moral is: paid or not... if you say it... DO it. If you cannot or will not fulfill (when and if things get tough)... DON'T SAY YOU CAN DO IT AT ALL... from the start. Again, it's just a question regarding the type of person someone wants to be. It isn't to say legitimate things get in the way of fulfilling promises... but never completing them? BS x 1000. As far as I'm concerned. Which is why I think agreements on paper are good these days. They apparently mean more to today's society (maybe moreso with U.S. mentality)... and somehow... "you have my word" has become an effin' JOKE. Sad. :-(

Probably another reason why many don't want to do something unless it involves money. Do action ---> monetary reward = GOOD... Do action because I said I would ---> reward only as self-reflection and experience = BAD. Uhh... I guess.

Lex, I'll go ahead and PM you the info. Plenty of ways to get in contact.

xl97
10-10-2008, 05:12 AM
I understand.. but niding someone to a contract (in my opinion) is overboard for a non-paying 'JOB'... its not lieka favor.. its a JOB that takes time & commitment.. (for no pay).

I never implied it shouldnt be 'eventually' done but a contract? saying it needs to be done by such and such time.... in a certain way.. put up with project scope changes and requirements doesnt seem like a 'favor' any more.. esepcially when they want to bind someone to a contract.

I just see that approach very one sided, commitment of time & skill to do 'their bidding'.. but dont want o sacrifice somethign in return for their effort..

THAT is my point.

not,.. if I say I'll do something.. I'll do it.

youre confusing this into a moeny thing more than it was focused on.. if you want a SIGNED AGREEMENT, then the asker is going beyond the favor/informal arangement... hence to me its a job. its not a favor when "I" get to it..in MY spare time.. and on MY rules.

this is not specific on this 'comic' project or whatever.. its general to any situation, where someone 'needs' to depend on others, ask for their help,...doesnt want to pay them for their work/time/skill but then has the 'balls' to ask for a signed contract.

Darth Leximus
10-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Just for clarification there will be no contracts untill a time comes where there is the prospect of money changing hands. We do have goals and personal deadlines we would like to meet, but nothing is set in stone. We just ask that anyone who does decide to contribute doesn't waste over a year of our time and give us nothing in return.

xl97
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Just for clarification there will be no contracts untill a time comes where there is the prospect of money changing hands. We do have goals and personal deadlines we would like to meet, but nothing is set in stone. We just ask that anyone who does decide to contribute doesn't waste over a year of our time and give us nothing in return.

sounds like a fair project and understanding form consenting adults. ;)

Darth Leximus
10-10-2008, 07:46 PM
We like to think that its fair, we aren't asking for anymore than we put in ourselves and everything we do is done as a partnership. That's another reason why we want someone who will really dig this world we've created and be as passionate about it as we are.

For us this project means alot of things. Of course we all would like to become rich doing something we love, but more than that we want to see this thing that we've worked so hard on come to life and be seen by others. So above all else that is the main goal, to share this with as many others as we can. Even if it means we make nothing, we feel this project is worth our time and effort and any reward we take out of it is a bonus.

My partner and I are meeting tomorrow to discuss some things and probably bang out some more pages. I plan on discussing with him how much of the story we are willing to share to get people more interested in working with us, so perhaps I'll have some tidbits to devulge later this weekend.

Thanks again for everyones support

Lord Dottore Matto
10-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Lex, I have a bro-in-law who just finished illustrating a book. He works in all media and is a fantastic comic illustrator. I will pass a heads up to him on this. If he is at all interested I'll get you some of his work. He has also worked on numerous video games for PS2, PS3, and XBOX 360. If you have not heard from me in 24 hours PM me.

Darth Leximus
10-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Excellent Lord, thanks a ton. Hope to hear from you

987654321a
10-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I know all too well the difficulties involved in this search. We had a good friend of ours who was offered an equal partenership in our business to be our artist. He is the one who bowed out because of a lack of confidence in his own abilities. Over a years time was wasted because of all the delays on getting finished art done.

Countdown and Nova if you have sent me anything via email I have not received it. I tested the link in my first post and its working for me.

I apologize, but the past few days, I have had to flash my hard drive and reinstall windows, because of how "wonderful" microsoft is.
I no longer have that comic strip, but I will work something up to email you. Sorry about that man.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Lex, I spoke to my bro-in-law. I will e-mail your info to him so he can contact you.:D