PDA

View Full Version : How much do you have?

Phiily Manyaan
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Just wondering, how much (in dollar or other currency amount) do you have in currently unused MHS parts?

I am about to embark on a new saber venture that will leave me with well over $100 in unused parts (its an entire saber). This doesn't include the other $60 in parts I gave my brother to build his. Somebody beat that so I don't feel so bad.

Jedi-Loreen
09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I've got at least $270 in extra blade holders, original pommels, a hilt piece, exention pieces, several LEDs and lens holders, a couple switches....

Though the LEDs aren't really "extra", since they are all different colors. :rolleyes:

Lord Maul
09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
In unused stuff...Probably about $100. That's mainly the Acerocket Obi TPM pommel though

Count Malik
09-30-2008, 09:56 PM
$50 bucks but thats only because I like to have spare pommel inserts, ect. Oh I have alot of wire swiches and recharge 8)ports

Hasid Lafre
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I would say 45$

swear000
09-30-2008, 11:28 PM
just a couple extra polycarb blades from the grab-bag. Whatever those are worth.

neophyl
10-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I dont have MHS stuff but I have a fair bit of stuff in my parts drawers,
at least 6 white P4's, 3 cyan luxIII, 3 green LuxIII, a couple of K2 whites, a LuxIII red, some Cree stars (white), a couple of spare older corbin drivers, a 1amp konlux driver, around 8 700ma constant current drivers, a spare MR vader board, around 8-10 led optics, various resistors for the leds etc. I also have 3 crystal focus boards but all 3 of them already have homes that need finishing.
Switch wise I have around 30+ that could be used in sabres (and a whole lot more other types for other projects) and my general electronics parts drawers add up to a few hundred £ worth of components, ic's, normal leds, connectors etc.

Sabre parts wise well Ive got a shop full of aluminium, bits of brass etc for sabre construction. So a fair amount in cash terms overall.

Darth Leximus
10-01-2008, 07:01 AM
I actually just did this calculation the other day. In strictly unused parts I have $320 worth of just MHS parts, not including internal components (probably between $80-100). I also have an entire saber my brother is making out of extra parts I had so thats another $100 at least.

ti-el_terall
10-01-2008, 07:45 AM
At least $250, but then im building a saber out of it all, so about |$100

Jonitus
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I took inventory last night off all my stuff for tax purposes (unfortunately, the IRS got wise to my building activities)

In total stock of parts, pieces and components sitting unused on my shelves - $4380

In MHS parts sitting unused - $1900

Those parts will be consumed after the first of the year, but right now, they're just dead stock I am carrying over until my tooling is completed.

MoonDragn
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I've spent about $750 so far in parts. Since I haven't built anything except modify a flashlight to be a saber most of it is still in parts form. I think I've spent only about $120 at TCSS so far. Included in that is about $300 in 2 original Graflex handles. Rest for odds and ends like screw posts, flashlights, electronics (LEDs, buck pucks, etc), 2 preordered Ultrasound boards, broken sabers for conversion, normal MR FX sabers for parts and other experiments.

Also spent an additional $500 or so in new tools like a milling vice, band saw, cutoff saw, screw taps, jewled screwdrivers, ***orted plyers, wire cutter, battery operated soldering iron, ultrasonic cleaner and various tips and accessories for the dremmel.

To think, I have no intention of selling anything LOL, this will probably be another fad for me to play with for a while and then move on to something else.

Malaki Skywalker
10-01-2008, 12:57 PM
With all the MHS parts and components stored under my bench, I would say their is over £500 worth, and its building up :p

xwingband
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I took inventory last night off all my stuff for tax purposes (unfortunately, the IRS got wise to my building activities)

In total stock of parts, pieces and components sitting unused on my shelves - $4380

Those parts will be consumed after the first of the year, but right now, they're just dead stock I am carrying over until my tooling is completed.

Umm... dang. I feel like small beans. I don't keep saber parts for hilts. I have a few $ in electronics board, but jeez....

sekrogue1985
10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
i don't even want to know...but not that much well maybe idk probably not as much as some of you though

MoonDragn
10-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm assuming Jonitus does this for part of his living, or at least sells the sabers off. Still thats a lot of money tied up in inventory, bigger than most stores carry.

I don't know if I could survive in a sabersmithing business, I don't have nearly enough tools and equipment to do what I really want to do.

Would love to get a CNC Lathe.

Lord Maul
10-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Holy fricken crap http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/Smilies/icon_jawdrop.gif

Jonitus
10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I know it's bad.

I've got center sections overflowing 2 large boxes, a slew of pommels and a metric butt-load of emitters. Most of the stuff was purchased directly from TCSS, and some came to me through rebuilds of customer sabers or revamping of them.

The only components I am in short supply of are sound boards. I have 4 MR boards and 2 Ultrasound boards on order (with a third promised to me by Alex to replace the DOA version 1 I received). Them's kinda slim pickings, especially when you do as much business as I do.

I was shocked myself at how much all these "spare" parts add up to. It's amazing when you sit down and count it all out.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh-tay Jonitus, you asked why I make so many sabers. Well it's because I have $4275 worth of parts sitting on or in my workbench (I tend to go a little crazy when I order) and 5 ultrasounds on order. Not as much as you, but at least you do some business (til now it has all been hobby stuff for me)! My wife is getting a little Hasid with me, so I better sell some!:roll:

P.s. that does not count the full MR collection, converted to lux III on the wall! (cause those sound boards could go any day!!!! Ha ha haha ha haha...):twisted:

Novastar
10-02-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't mind sharing that the ENTIRETY of Balance of Power Ep I... cost pretty much only $5000 to $6000. That includes:

* Early mock-up props (when we didn't have any LED sabers)
* 12 LED sabers (I count the staff as two, plus Valaris Skyblade had two)
* A few extra Force FX "stock" backups
* Costumes
* Facility Rental for rehearsals
* Small "gifts" to my actors, essentially as stipends, lunches, dinners, etc.
* Saber repairs (a few switches, some batteries, 2 LEDs)

NOW... ... how the bloody WHACK you guys have $1000 to $4000 in unused MHS parts leaves me completely beside myself, hahahah!!!! Now I don't feel as bad as did before--I thought I spent a lot way back in 2005/2006... :)

That being said... I'm certain I've bought at least $2000 to $3000 (?) in parts from Tim to help "feed" the sabers for BOP I, II and what has happened thus far for III.

As some of you know, I grabbed a bunch of those Force FX RGB saber auctions (7 of the Joe Jedi 616s), all of which have a 1.25" TCSS blade holder ready for them, + a possible Li-Ion setup as well.

So there's some of the monies going into BOP III right there!

Finally... I don't mind telling folks that each of the Flange III sabers has about $300 in total parts, and I'd probably guess $300 to $600 in labor of me creating... taking them apart, upgrading... playing/using... taking them apart, upgrading... using/swinging/bashing... taking them apart, upgrading...

Pretty insane. :)

But... I also think I've done my best to "give back" to the shop in a way too (as we all have done)--so it's sort of like spending even more... in time / "money" to help see TCSS grow...

:)

Phiily Manyaan
10-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I don't feel so bad now haha. Over 4 grand!!!! Thats gonna take a while to comprehend.

MoonDragn
10-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I think I should probably liquidate my other collections to have the cash available to buy this stuff. I have about $2k worth of comic books and about $5k worth of magic the gathering cards.

Phiily Manyaan
10-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I have easily over a grand in SW, Transformers, and other nerd gold. Maybe more.