PDA

View Full Version : Saber Idea

chocolate pain
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi i currently have a ultrasabers vagabond hilt... no blade cause i ordered one from tcss 3/4 " 40" thin walled... I am going to make Starkiller's Aka "The Apprentice's" blade and i need more ideas on how to make this happen... here are the links to the hilt i have currently and what i want it to look like... My main focus is to cut out the bottom part of my hilt in the middle section so it is a hole like the one in the pic and put my crystal in there... but i need deas on what to use as the rod, how to get it inside their snug, and what to use as the silver sides that stick up... Thank you guys

Current Saber: http://www.ultrasabers.com/UK_Vaga_p/uk-vaga.htm

Goal Saber: http://machinedfx.blogspot.com/2008/08/starkillers-lightsaber-from-force.html

swear000
09-29-2008, 05:45 PM
ok. You are looking at two totally different classes of sabers I believe. The one you have (the vegabond) looks great for dueling and general purpose use. If you cut a hole in the PVC, you will weaken the PVC significantly. I'm not saying it can't be done but you really have to weigh the risks of loosing your already good saber.

Starkiller's Aka "The Apprentice's" blade is a beautiful blade I agree. The easiest way i see of replicating that saber is with a Graflex. I was thinking about picking up a Graflex from ParkSabers and hacking it. The other option would be to get a production saber from machinedFX.com (I hope that is the URL). Anyway, there is a guy who is machining them and will be selling them. Buying one of those and converting it will probably be your best/cheapest option.

chocolate pain
09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
What could be the results of weaking the pvc? shouldn't effect my led should it?

Darth_DevilGuy
09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
What could be the results of weaking the pvc? shouldn't effect my led should it?no but it might break in half if you tried to swing it...

here's the link (http://www.machinedfx.blogspot.com/) to the machinedfx site.

chocolate pain
09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
well is there anyway i can just make an "indention?" spelling prob off... in the pvc pipe instead of a complete hole?

swear000
09-29-2008, 06:24 PM
If you want to build one from PVC, it may be a good idea to get a section of thick walled PVC and a copper reducing coupler from the hardware store. They might have something in the grinding/routing section that you could use as posts. The posts would probably be drilled into a washer in the top and bottom for a crystal chamber. I went to an auto part store and picked up a DIY windshield wiper kit. I stripped off the rubber for handgrips. What was left was four metal rails that could in theory be cut and glued into dremeled out PVC slits for a handle.

You could make the Starkiller out of PVC, but do it from scratch with odds and ends that you feel would work so you don't wreck an already good saber. You could probably get all the parts you need for $20 or $30.

chocolate pain
09-29-2008, 06:34 PM
i want to try this but i am not sure if these parts come out of the hilt to switch to the new pvc pipe... or how to redo the electronics and the switch part and stuff...

swear000
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
from what I have seen of ultrasabers construction, it is wise not to mess with it. I would start the whole project from scratch. After the hilt is built, then adding a direct driven LUX LED and battery pack is a piece of cake.

chocolate pain
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
If i made a new hilt and i made that hole or whatever... what would happen if i cut the hole too large and had the hole above the led? would the power of the led go off of the blade and just spread out of the hilt or would it even matter?

swear000
09-30-2008, 11:37 PM
depends on how much bigger. Light would probably disperse out through the hole. You maybe could build a shroud out of something.

chocolate pain
10-01-2008, 04:50 AM
a shroud? how would i get something in there to cover the dispersed light up without covering the led itself?

swear000
10-01-2008, 05:16 AM
well if you intentionally want the light to show, then you don't need a shroud. If you want to keep the light covered, then you would just take a smaller diameter PVC or curved plastic and put it over the area. You may want to make it something removable so you can test for yourself how much of a difference there is. If you loose too much light because of the hole, then you can permanently affix the shroud over the hole. You could do that with either screws or glue.

If you are using a Luxeon LED and holder with a 5 or 10 degree lens, then you probably won't have to worry too much about loosing light because the lens will focus the light for you. Either way, you should be fine.