PDA

View Full Version : help me obiwan, your my only hope

Ari-Jaq Xulden
09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
well guys and dolls it seems we are in a galaxy not so far away anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W53W_zOwG4k&feature=related
what will they think of next

swear000
09-28-2008, 10:09 PM
um..that's not real...its a camera trick.

annon
09-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Good video editing, but, ya, it's a joke...:roll:

Novastar
09-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't get why it's been seen 2,000,000 times. Or whatever.

Angelus Lupus
09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Nova, in the vast majority of cases a simple formula applies: The quality of the video is inversely proportional to the quantity of views.

That said, perhaps we could mount a massed link posting campaign to promte the BOP videos?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Don't feel too bad Novastar. 48,000 views is still impressive.

It should be more though. I'm going to send your links to some people I think might like to see them.

swear000
09-29-2008, 02:59 PM
maybe people are that genuinely interested in a portable 3-D holographic display. Using current methods and technologies, it is becoming closer and closer to reality. Soon, I will be able to store the plans of the death star and become the most powerful force in the galaxy!! Muh-ha-ha-ha!!

TimeRender
09-29-2008, 03:37 PM
No... not really... There is no current technology that is bringing us even remotely close to achieving this. The problem is that light needs and will always need something to bounce off of. This isn't something that technology can get around. This kind of holography is a physical impossibility.

swear000
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2008/06/27/new-interactive-holographic-display-could-help-us-finally-destroy-the-death-star/

TimeRender
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
This isn't projecting an image into empty space, this is creating an image using lights on a spinning mirror.

swear000
09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
sorry...I didn't meant to imply that the technology was perfected. It is still under development. No matter the method, you would at least need one surface to reflect the image from. Four micro lasers at each corner projected towards a reflective base may yield an image but focusing becomes an issue. So, still a few kinks to work out....

TimeRender
09-29-2008, 07:28 PM
That we will always need some sort of surface to reflect the light was my point was as well. What we see in SW cannot be done, and while this technology is impressive it will never be particularly portable... well actually that's not true either... but it's just like television. You can scale it down, but watching a 2 inch Ipod screen will never be as fulfilling as watching it on a real television. With this spinning mirror hologram you will always need a "screen" that is a cube, making it harder to easily carry, whereas at least a 2 dimensional screen can fit inside your pocket. There comes a point where practicality and functionality outweigh novelty and possibility. That said, I doubt this kind of hologram projector will ever be made portable, and it certainly will never exist as we see it in the star wars universe.

Novastar
09-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Don't feel too bad Novastar. 48,000 views is still impressive.

It should be more though. I'm going to send your links to some people I think might like to see them.I sure appreciate that!!! :) I didn't mean to steer the topic away from the "faker" hologram in that fashion, but hey, while we're at it... it's merely my surprise on BOP II (http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5hUe0cEbKM) that more didn't see/watch it, heheh!

Even so... I suppose I don't know what the "key" is in marketing videos over Y-tube. I mean seriously. I've seen some videos that have ga-jillion views and they were posted "ONE day ago", lol!! That is seriously some kind of "this video was pre-programmed to become viral--you can't stop it--it will happen in seconds, so tough if you don't know how it happens. Bye. " HAHHAHAH... :)

swear000
09-30-2008, 12:57 AM
You might get a BOP over the head...er....I mean...BOP to the music....er..rather...you need 3-D hologram projectors in BOP III (return of du-op).

Novastar
09-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Well, not to go insane on d-railing, but... if BOP III ever happens... there is one effect in it that should shock the heck out of most people watching. And it ain't no hologram. :)

Hasid Lafre
09-30-2008, 02:09 AM
So your going to make a costume of a shiny silvery blue material and cast a whitish light on yourself tomake yourself look like a force ghost?

Novastar
09-30-2008, 02:15 AM
No.

Not a bit of it, lmao.

TimeRender
09-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Shock the hell out of people... must be sith lightning!

Novastar
09-30-2008, 11:36 PM
It appears I'll never avoid d-railing this topic, hahahahah

And hey, if BOP III doesn't get a cast... it won't matter if it's "Force Lightning", "Force Ghost", or "Force Brown Bathrobe", will it? :)

FenderBender
10-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Not to be too contrary, but about a year or so ago in American Scientific there was an article about a University project that used lasers to gather together molecules in the air and focus the laser on them creating visible free floating light spheres. Its been a while since I read said article, and I forget the specifics. But it WILL be possible.

TimeRender
10-03-2008, 11:03 PM
No Fender, even with that it still won't be possible. You're thinking too 2 dimensionally. Even if they can gather molecules with lasers and then light them up with more lasers, you've only illuminated one "pixel" of a three dimensional screen. To create a three dimensional image you would need to fill a three dimensional space with thousands of such spheres and then be able to illuminate particular ones. Light doesn't work that way. If you shine a laser through a cubic area filled with these spheres, what you will see will always be a straight line. It's no different than shining a laser through a cloud of smoke or dust. You cannot make the laser avoid illuminating the spheres that you want darkened if they happen to be in the same line as one you want to illuminate. This isn't a matter of discovering new technologies, this is a matter of being unable to break the laws of physics.

annon
10-04-2008, 02:18 PM
there is just no way to make light stop in mid air, turn, and then travel to the viewer's eye...
The best you could do is "bend" light with a large gravity well, but that doesn't seem practical for an iphone :rolleyes:

FenderBender
10-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Here is the article, it was in a Popular Mechanics in June 03. Guess it was a little more than a while ago.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/1287276.html

Researchers have found the key to creating a real "Star Trek"-style Holodeck. Holograms have, of course, been around for decades. While your hand passes unimpeded through a hologram's ghostly images, microscopic particles can be drawn to regions where the light is brightest.

At a recent meeting of the American Physical Society in Austin, Texas, researchers explained how this particle-drawing effect has been used to create holographic optical "tweezers" that suspend particles in space. University of Chicago physicist David Grier, who pioneered the technology, said very large computer-generated 3D holographic arrays could create bright spots or optical traps that exert sufficient force to suspend a collection of microscopic objects. "This is 'Star Trek's' Holodeck in action," he said. The first application will be more serious: building smaller and faster "lab on a chip" chemical analyzers.

TimeRender
10-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Nowhere in this article do they talk about creating 3d imagery in mid air. This article really has nothing to do with the subject.

FenderBender
10-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Ok, you must be right.....

CybKnight
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I think someone is already working on a primitive technology.

Found this on fx-sabers:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3112.0
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/mech-tech/dn8778.html
http://www.aist.go.jp/aist_e/latest_research/2006/20060210/20060210.html

Nowhere near portable, but then again, we do not have lightsabers yet either.

annon
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Ok, that's really cool. The blue/white light looks a lot like what they did in SW.
Life imitates art...

TimeRender
10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Now THIS could be more promising since it creates light at the image rather than projecting light onto it.

swear000
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
You can see here the death star orbiting the forest moon of Endor. Although the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational, the Death Star does have a strong defense mechanism. It is protected by an energy shield which is generated by the nearby forest moon of Endor....

Gray Exile
10-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Soon, I will be able to store the plans of the death star...

Swear,
I think Kyle Katarn already has that gig sown up!;)