PDA

View Full Version : Static and lose of volume with CF4

Hootini
09-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Many thanks for your time, knowledge and concern. I have a loss of volume and much static. Saber sound is barely audible. Seems like a speaker issue, I hope but could CF4 be damaged causing static and volume loss? Could it be a problem with the pot? Thanks again.

Novastar
09-28-2008, 02:18 AM
Many thanks for your time, knowledge and concern. I have a loss of volume and much static. Saber sound is barely audible. Seems like a speaker issue, I hope but could CF4 be damaged causing static and volume loss? Could it be a problem with the pot? Thanks again.It could. Without being able to touch the thing and look at it... this sounds like it could also be the audio amp itself.

Basic troubleshooting 101 is... if you've tried 2 or 3 "known to be good" speakers and they produce the SAME result... this = not the speaker. :)

Check your wiring and make certain the solder joints that connect the speaker to the board are solid and reliable. Just to eliminate as much as possible, maybe just de-solder and re-solder altogether.

Also, if you twisted the volume POT screw/bolt too forcefully... you could damage it. I'm going to hope that wasn't the case though, heheh!

All in all... as Rizzo said in "Grease"... there are worse things I could do, lol. If your board is functioning, having the audio amp or POT repaired by Erv (depending on his schedule??!) shouldn't be a horrific thing.

Hootini
09-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Thanks to these wonderful, helpful forum members you included, I have tried to adjust the pot and realize that it is very loose and sensitive causing intermittent noise and volume loss. This can mimic a speaker being blown. So the moral is, if you have distortion, check that pot first before you replace that speaker.