PDA

View Full Version : Reconciliation w/ reverse sound

Lord Dottore Matto
09-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Have just finished a SCHWEEEEET new project. It is more a concept study than anything else. I used an old MR Obi hilt, MPP shroud and custom pommel with Vader board, bin 1 cyan Lux III and custom aluminum blade holder. Sounds radical huh? (that stuff is all crap) The cool part is that the sound comes out abaxial to the emitter! (for you non medical types that means the sound comes out the front rather than the back! (and that, my friends is really FU###NG cool!)

the switch is low profile and activates when slid toward the pommel for those who prefer a back-handed grip!

I hope you all enjoy!

The Video:

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Reconciliation/?action=view&current=100_3395.flv

The Pictures:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Reconciliation/100_3392.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Reconciliation/100_3393.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Reconciliation/100_3394.jpg

The album Linky:

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Reconciliation/

Angelus Lupus
09-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I like it, it's a good use of the parts. You got me wondering why we don't have more sabers with speakers up front. After all, that's where the blade is doing its humming and clashing.

annon
09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
That's a real good idea with the sound. wish I'd thought of it.:rolleyes:

Hasid Lafre
09-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Teh ideas been around but most dont use it cause its a pain to get it to sound right and have room for wires and such.

Lord Dottore Matto
09-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Teh ideas been around but most dont use it cause its a pain to get it to sound right and have room for wires and such.

Uh, it really wasn't very difficult. You just have to plan it out ahead of time!:p

Donnovan Sunrider
09-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Very nice!
That's what I was going to look at for the sound in my sabre once I got all the parts together. I'd rather have the sound come out the emitter end if I can swing it.
Did you use an MHS speaker/holder? What was your setup for running the LED wires past the speaker?

Lord Dottore Matto
09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Very nice!
That's what I was going to look at for the sound in my sabre once I got all the parts together. I'd rather have the sound come out the emitter end if I can swing it.
Did you use an MHS speaker/holder? What was your setup for running the LED wires past the speaker?

I manufactured a speaker mount from PVC (0.5cm tall, semicircular) and attached it to my soundboard cradle with craftics glue (molecularly joins plastics together) the wires to the LED and the clash sensor run out of the chassis and through the open side of the speaker mount. I used quick connectors from the shop so the led fixture just snapped to the wires running past the speaker. The soundboard chassis was built to lock into the hilt 2 1/2inches from the heatsink (leaving a resonance chamber and space for the wires and clash sensor). I wish there were a way to take a pix of how it all fits, but I can't get a good one (I tried but it is too cramped) I'll try to take some step by step pix on the one I am working on this weekend to clarify things.

Donnovan Sunrider
09-26-2008, 11:28 AM
That would be most helpful. Thanks!

sekrogue1985
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM
very very nice I see i'm not the only one that likes mounting his speaker higher up in the hilt and not at the buttom. bin 1 cyan drool....personal saber color for me.

Novastar
09-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Great job Pizan... :) Hey that sound from the front idea is one I've wanted to try for a long time, but never really found it practical for ME because I'm always using 36mm or 45mm speakers, heheh!

How does it feel? Does it really sound different/better with the sound output going toward the blade (and opponent) vs. right back at you?? Hard to know depending on the resonance holes and such, but... curious to get your thoughts on that!

GREAT WORK! Especially the more recessed switch... that is something that I appreciate and understand all too well...

Dandura
09-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Dude I was just thinking about that the other day, with the speaker closer to the blade that is. When I build my Jedi Master's saber perhaps.

Lord Dottore Matto
09-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Great job Pizan... :) Hey that sound from the front idea is one I've wanted to try for a long time, but never really found it practical for ME because I'm always using 36mm or 45mm speakers, heheh!

How does it feel? Does it really sound different/better with the sound output going toward the blade (and opponent) vs. right back at you?? Hard to know depending on the resonance holes and such, but... curious to get your thoughts on that!

GREAT WORK! Especially the more recessed switch... that is something that I appreciate and understand all too well...

I like it, It has a solid 2" worth of resonance chamber. I would really like to double the # of sound holes, but I worry about the structural integrity of the aluminum. As far as the sound direction, the person on the receiving end of my blade can hear it coming much more clearly now! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

(seriously, I think that sound from the emitter end is moreso for the person duelling against the saberweilder to enjoy than it is for the saberweilder him/herself!)

I may have a new one with a TCSS speaker done this week and I'll post that because I think it will have some nice improvements.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-11-2008, 07:41 PM
A post mortem on this saber. I always hate to part with my sabers, but this one sold today on fleaBay. I hope its new master enjoys it!:(

Lord Dottore Matto
10-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow, same guy bought the "black Chelonian" too! I guess you never know how things will work out!