PDA

View Full Version : My MHS in design Stage.

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Ok I am bout to post all designs i came up with. i have a couple. I am just racking my brain on what looks best and feels best. And since I am new to Building a saber and dont know how certin parts feel. I just want advice.

This is going to be my thread on my developing Saber from Design Stage to Actualy Building it. And the Finished Product.

Thank U All.

P.S. some of the parts I have on them I know I will have to get custom made and Powder Coated.

Darth Leximus
09-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Thank you for the notification, I will make a note of it :)

just kidding man, looking forward to seeing your designs

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 02:25 PM
ok here are three that i have came up with. these are subject to change slightly or dramatically.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/ac109b2616.png

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9da92bed47.png

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/ab5c5cbdb6.png

sekrogue1985
09-24-2008, 02:45 PM
the second one would require less custom work but the third on is the one like the best

Darth_DevilGuy
09-24-2008, 02:48 PM
interesting, #1 and #3 are doable if you want to pay to have the pommel and blade holder custom milled. #2 needs the v-grooved section flipped around and the blade retention screw moved farther forward but is otherwise workable.

one thing, those sabers will be fairly long though, if you want an Idea take a standard foot long ruler (12") and hold it like a hilt, yours will be about two inches longer than that.

Mazarill Slay
09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
The first looks the coolest in my opinion but will probably be the more expensive one
the secon is also nice and would be easier but I personally don't like buttons that high
the third is also awesome but again i don't like buttons close to the emmiter they get in my way.

Darth Leximus
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I personally like #1 the best. On my first MHS saber went with a design similar to #3 (minus the BH and pommel) That didn't last very long because I soon realized that I much preferred gripping the saber up near the BH and the ribbed extension makes for better grip than the wider area of the Hilt#4. It also looks better visually in my opinion, with the ribbed piece near the pommel it makes the saber look top heavy.

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
ok i have these there are the same but slightly varried. U can see that i still have the ribbed Grip, but now its on top and bottom. And it is more plain and less detailed. I want to go for a KOTOR/SAGA look.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/67c0ac8905.png
Varation 1

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/03a3220663.png
Varation 2

As i said they were subject to dramatic or slight change. This change is Dramatic From the first 3 posted. :p

xl97
09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I think you need to TURN ON the THREAD HINTS when you build..LOL

the first one is missing a DOUBLE MALE CONNECTOR form the hilt to the 3in. extension... wait are they all?

and those last ones are HUGE!!! how big are those puppies?? LOL

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 04:45 PM
LOL i have thread hints on, i just noticed to use it with these last 2 i made. here is a disassembled pic showing how the threads would fit together

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9255f67ca8.png

see they all screw right on in to eachother. no connectors needed.

oh the last ones are just under 14 in. I am 6'1 so I like the longer hilt.

Donnovan Sunrider
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Be aware that placing switches/buttons over threads would be a nightmare to get to work right. The buttons would need to be more in the middle of the extension piece, past the threads.
Apart from that, I like the look of that.

xl97
09-24-2008, 06:47 PM
I was also adressing the original 3 saber image you posted...

(who can see under the shourd to tell?)

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh. Sorry. But I prob won't be posting on this thread (after my next post that will have my final sketch of my sabe) for awhile. But once I start to get parts and put it together I will post again.

Who do I contact about getting parts custom ordered. And how do I contact them?

LordMasoch
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
sales@thecustomsabershop.com would be the person, as it's his store. ;)

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok cool thank u.

I may have a final Saber done tomorrow. or Sooner.

Mazarill Slay
09-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Looks good, I like your second ones with the shrouding best.

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Ok here is my Finalized Product. This is the one i am going to make.

I realist there are thumbscrews, but that is just showing where i want to place the ButtonHead/Rivet's. And I realize I have to custom order parts and have them powder coated. So here it is.

:cool:http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/63dcdb379e.png:cool:

Oh and sorry if there is confusion I am DarthZoloft21 just made new account cause 1. didnt care for the name and 2. my firend changed my password. cause he is a Jerk.

Donnovan Sunrider
09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
That's a really nice looking sabre there.

When you order the parts, make sure to tell Tim that a sink tube will be fit over the powder coating. In some cases the coating will apparently be too thick to allow a sleeve to slide over it. He may be able to put on a thinner coat or something.

xl97
09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
you can not (at least its not suggested) you put ANY type of screws or holes where threadings are.. (ie: your bottom one)

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I know I am mearly puttin them there for looks. they will not be going into the threads. I will have them cut so it is just the top of the rivet. I am going to hold the sleeve/cover on with JB weld. I dont plan on taking the whole saber apart to change battery. just going to take off pommel.
Guess I should have specified that in the post...lol oops

xl97
09-25-2008, 01:06 PM
so your going to glue on the button head/rivet heads using JB weld as well?

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Yes. Iam. But i am going to use a very small ammount so it doesnt look bad. I want this Saber Hilt to look perfect. And it will take a while to get it completely finished 100%

xl97
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
ok..well my suggestion(s) to you are:

1.) do NOT JB weld the sink tube overlay/sleeve to your parts.. (make it hard to rplace if/when dropped or damaged..etc

2.) use the button head/rivets as they were intended... ;)

but again..its all personal preference, so do what you like.. :)

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah true i will have to take damage in consideration. but being that none of my frriends are in to this as i am i wont be dueling :cry: so for now i will have them on display.

Mazarill Slay
09-25-2008, 01:41 PM
i like the look, but I never liked too many buttons/screws.. my design has one tap screw 1 button and 1 to hold the sink tube sleeve on :P

Hasid Lafre
09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
sinktubs willnot fit over powder coated mhs parts, would would have to have them machined down for the space of PC to sit and even then the sinktube may not fit.

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Dang how thick is powder coating? cause without the sleeve it wont look right. Sounds like i will have to order the regula and no powder coating. :sad:

This is what i would have.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/067f43aa5b.jpg

it just doesnt have the same feel with otu powder coating.

P.S. took off most of screws. causei jus played with a handle simulating the bumps he screws would give off and didnt like it.

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 02:22 PM
i guess i am going to have to go for something a bit simpler. for my first build up. I will just send that design into someone who can make it. and pay them. I am just going to look for parts that can be ordered with out big hastle or cost. plus i just wanted a cool hilt, with out thinking of cost or first time building. :cry:

Mazarill Slay
09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
You can always hand paint it, with special paints, wears out over time but allows for the sinktube to fit.. Depending on how many coats you apply

xl97
09-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I wouldnt say thats always true.. (at least in my expeience) ;)

putting an overlay on regular MHS parts leave stracthes sometimes... its a snug fit as is. putting them on/off leaves 'streaks' of scratches.

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
i dont like hand painting at all. so here is simple no custom parts and 1 powder coated peice. simple enough. not as expensive as the other would be.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/picture.php?albumid=31&pictureid=288

Later on down the road wen i get good at making hilts. i will do more advanced thing but this is ok for now. as it my first.:wink:

Mazarill Slay
09-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Even that looks ***y.

I like how you reversed the hilt so the button is at the bottom rather the middle or top, which is how I designed my saber as well. In my opinion it leaves it out of the way for the fancy spins and twirls

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Thank u very much. and thank u to all of u who have given me constructive critisism it helped me out alot. This is a very supportive and helpful site.

Now all i need to do is get the money and order the parts. Cant wait. when i get the parts i will do a rough assembly and post them up to show u all

ShadowStar
09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
LOL i have thread hints on, i just noticed to use it with these last 2 i made. here is a disassembled pic showing how the threads would fit together

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9255f67ca8.png

see they all screw right on in to eachother. no connectors needed.

oh the last ones are just under 14 in. I am 6'1 so I like the longer hilt.

would you still be able to screw some of the parts together even tho some groves dont match

Hasid Lafre
09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
For a first saber I would go for something simpler.

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
would you still be able to screw some of the parts together even tho some groves dont match

Ah i didnt notice it. no they wouldnt fit i would have remove the bottom ribbed peice or have it custom made. sorry botu that.

Anavrin
09-26-2008, 10:36 AM

YEs, This is a two-d illustration of three-d objects. They all use standard clockwise threading unless Tim has done something really od, but from what I've seen it's all standardized. That means the threads should work no matter what. The threads shown are for illustration only, unless I miss my guess horribly.

MoonDragn
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
i dont like hand painting at all. so here is simple no custom parts and 1 powder coated peice. simple enough. not as expensive as the other would be.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/787427d049.png

Later on down the road wen i get good at making hilts. i will do more advanced thing but this is ok for now. as it my first.:wink:

It looks like you got that handle backwards in terms of how it fits with the threads, so if you really want it that way you should probably use 2 gender changers.

xl97
09-26-2008, 10:58 AM
It looks like you got that handle backwards in terms of how it fits with the threads, so if you really want it that way you should probably use 2 gender changers.

how so?

arent the hilts double female? pommel - male thread, hilts -double female, ribbed - male/female, bladeholder - male

or am I wrong?

MoonDragn
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Ooops you're right. I was thinking of the wrong pieces.

Guess that would work.

xl97
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Ah i didnt notice it. no they wouldnt fit i would have remove the bottom ribbed peice or have it custom made. sorry botu that.

the 'grooves' (threads) DO match.. and always would..

however you just rotated the part..and didnt bother to FLIP it also.. (as you can see the gradient is upside down...hence making th THREADS 'look' as if they were upside down) :)

LordBane21
09-26-2008, 11:17 PM
lol oops again. I am sorry for being newbish. forgive me master.

Oh and do i have to have a blad retension screw to keep the blad from falling out?

xl97
09-27-2008, 12:25 AM
yes...

eastern57
09-27-2008, 08:01 AM
... forgive me master...

Congratulations, xl97, you have another minion - your army of loyal followers is coming along nicely! :p

LordBane21
09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Ahh but sith turn on there masters. and thats excatly what i am. lol. i just have to wait for the right moment.:cool:

xl97
09-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Ahh but sith turn on there masters. and thats excatly what i am. lol. i just have to wait for the right moment.:cool:

banned!.. LOL

LordBane21
09-27-2008, 09:25 AM
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo ooo!!!!!!!!!!.

LOL

Anavrin
09-27-2008, 02:22 PM
lol oops again. I am sorry for being newbish. forgive me master.

Oh and do i have to have a blad retension screw to keep the blad from falling out?

There are other methods if you're willing to spend a LOT more.

I do not recommend this. It's a bit overkill, and a retention screw is the most secure, me thinks.

Or just making it permanent, but that's just madness.

Darth Xanthus
09-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Pretty cool man.