PDA

View Full Version : Im New to Sink Tubes

jedipadawan777
09-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I have just finished my MHS built saber but when I added up all the parts, IT WAS TOO MUCH for me to pay. So I decided to go the cheaper route with the sink tube and stuff. To just get the hilt to work right, do I only need the MHS to 1.5" sink tube adapter, the 1.25" Sink tube LED/Blade holder, and the 1-1/4" x 12" Chrome sink tube. And for the blade the lux 3 kit, and the TCSS complete blade. Please notify me if there is anything else I need or if there are are any improvements I can make.

LordMasoch
09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Um. I don't see anything compatible in that list. Are you using 1.5" or 1.25" tube? that'll determine what you need. If you're using 1.5", look at the MHS to Sinktube adapter. if 1.25", look at the 1.25" LED holder.

...Rereading, you're looking at the 1.25" tube, so get the 1.25" holder. The other adapter is for 1.5" tube, which is larger in diameter than the one you're looking at.

Edit number deux: You will also need something for a pommel. It could be something as simple as a 1.25" chrome hole-plug, of the type used to cover the hole some sinks have for a secondary sprayer. Example:
https://www.surfasonline.com/images/products/19141L.jpg

Lord Dottore Matto
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
All you need for a basic sink tube saber is:
1. 1.5" sink tube
2. a mhs to tube 1.5" adapter
3. a blade holder
4. DIY electronics kit
5. pommel (2 options: simple like the one LordMasoch showed, or you could pick a MHS pommel that you like and attach it with another mhs to tube adapter)

I don't know that this saves you that much $ though especially if you use an MHS pommel!

jedipadawan777
09-23-2008, 09:13 PM
what is the DIY electronics kit. like the lux 3 or is it different.

jedipadawan777
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
O yeah and if I buy the 1.25" Sink tube LED/Blade holder would that count as 1 and 3 on your list and does it fit with a mhs to tube 1.5" adapter because I was reading the reviews and NovaStar said, "Also, the ability for it to be attached to a 1.25" sink tube (instead of just a 1.5" tube) is great for many reasons."

LordMasoch
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
The 1.25" probably fits inside of the adapter, rather than the 1.5" fitting over the adapter. keep in mind that it won't be a "flush fit" like if you were using a 1.5" tube. Also, the MHS parts are designed to be just under 1.5" in outside diameter, to be compatible with sleeves made of 1.5" sinktube.

And yes, a DIY kit would be a kit like the Lux III kit.

If you decide to go with a 1.25" sink tube, the 1.25" blade holder was designed to fit inside, giving you a flush fit. However, you won't be compatible with other MHS parts (because of the size difference) with the 1.25" blade holder. If you want compatibility with other MHS parts, get the 1.5" sinktube to MHS adapter. If Nova said it is compatible with the 1.25", I'm not going to argue it. He knows his stuff. However, keep in mind it may take a bit of jury-rigging to get it to work, as it was designed for the 1.5" tube, and you wont' have a smooth flush fit. There's a 1/4" difference between the two sizes of tubes.

Lord Dottore Matto
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
O yeah and if I buy the 1.25" Sink tube LED/Blade holder would that count as 1 and 3 on your list and does it fit with a mhs to tube 1.5" adapter because I was reading the reviews and NovaStar said, "Also, the ability for it to be attached to a 1.25" sink tube (instead of just a 1.5" tube) is great for many reasons."

first the link to the DIY kit-->http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Build-Your-Ownbr-Luxeon-III-Electronics-Kit-P6.aspx

link to the blade holder-->http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-Sink-tube-LEDBlade-holder--P269.aspx

link to the sink tube-->http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-14-x-12-Chrome-sink-tube--P83.aspx

Add a blade and a retention screw and there you have it.

Next, yes, you can attach a 1.25" tube to a MHS to 1.5" adapter. the tube slides inside the adapter instead of over it. But if you want to use a 1.25" sink tube you only need the DIY kit, the tube and the 1.25" sinktube blade holder. You would not even need a pommel because you can use the "screw on " cap that comes with the tube as the pommel if you want. That would be very cheap (like $50 total with shipping)

swear000
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
probably the best way to go for a first saber is 1.25" sink tube and blade holder. There is a good tutorial on making it. Once you see how a basic hilt fits together, the whole lightsaber hilt construction starts to make sense. After that you can go as far as your imagination will take you.

The first one I did was the graflex below. While it turned out fine, it probably could have been a little better if I put a little more though into it. Planning is probably the longest and most important step.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-24-2008, 01:45 AM
If you follow Lord dottore Matto's advice and use the 1.25" sinktube blade holder and the Luxeon III electronics kit, you can build something like this:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5052
Without an FX sound board, these cost well under a $100, right around $65.

With the 1.5" MHS to sinktube adaptor, a saber like this is possible:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=12957.0

Without an FX soundboard, a saber similar to that will run about $120.

Adding an MR FX soundboard to either of those will add about $40 to the cost of each saber.

Barmic Rin
09-24-2008, 01:45 PM
I need to get my tutorial vid up, don't I?

jedipadawan777
09-24-2008, 04:45 PM
i have the battery pack from the fx construction set (which I think is the speaker or sound) and as i was searching the threads the other day I saw that someone said you cant just have the speaker/sound, I would need another piece to activate it. what else would i need to get the fx sound to work besides the battery pack (which I think is the sound or speaker).

tinfoilhelmet
09-24-2008, 05:33 PM
the speaker/ battery pack is wired to the circuit board. The circuit board has the switch and sound for what you seek.
take apart thy joe jedi base unit there and you will see how it works.