PDA

View Full Version : Switches

FenderBender
09-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Alright, before I get flamed for not using search, I did. For HOURS. I just need a confirmation to some tidbits that I picked up.

MR and hasbro boards work with a spst momentary switch unless a separate LED driver is required in which a DPDT switch is required. Yes?

So as long as Im using the boards to run the LED I can stick with a SPST mom. switch?

Thanks, and I swear Ill get a book on basic electronics soon;)

eastern57
09-19-2008, 10:22 PM
No. MR boards require latching switches.

FenderBender
09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Ok, MR requires a latching, same as push on/off, rocker etc?

Hasbro board momentary?

eastern57
09-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Hai, so de'su ne :)

Novastar
09-21-2008, 06:31 AM
You actually *CAN* use a momentary switch with a latching setup (in this case, with the MR)... but it's not recommended.

Essentially it requires a "double-click" for on and off. Single clicks would be something to avoid... not that they'd glitch electronics or break anything... but that they would drain the batteries in certain cases... as if the circuit was still "on". Hard to explain.

But. It CAN and HAS been done. Kinda neat... somewhat. With the whole double-click. :D

FenderBender
09-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks Nova,

Arigato Eastern-san

eastern57
09-21-2008, 08:06 AM
You actually *CAN* use a momentary switch with a latching setup (in this case, with the MR)... but it's not recommended.

Essentially it requires a "double-click" for on and off. Single clicks would be something to avoid... not that they'd glitch electronics or break anything... but that they would drain the batteries in certain cases... as if the circuit was still "on". Hard to explain.

But. It CAN and HAS been done. Kinda neat... somewhat. With the whole double-click. :D

you're thinking of using a latching switch with a momentary set-up - got it backwards.

usually, a momentary curcuit is looking for that "contact and release" for the "on" and the "contact" for the "off" and in order to achieve that close/open and close again requires two clicks for on... one for off. :)

Novastar
09-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Oops, you're right. Dang it!

I *ALWAYS* do that when it's stuff like:

Parallel vs. Serial
Latching vs. Momentary
Left vs. Right

hahahah. I'm the quasi-dyslexic freak of the forums, lmao!!!

Angelus Lupus
09-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Just so long as you don't confuse Lightside vs Darkside :D

swear000
09-22-2008, 02:59 PM
hard to see the future is... clouded the future is... the dark side clouds everything... into exile we must go...