PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Anakin and 2007 FX Construction sets

duncan29793
09-18-2008, 12:46 AM
ok I have the above mentioned sets and wanted to know if there were any types of conversions that could be done to them. I did some searching and didn't find anything on the Anakin (version 1 with black clip box and no gold button) and assume that I am SOL for this one. If so, any possibility of scavenging parts?

I didn't see a conversion kit for the construction set but did notice that Ultrasabers did their own conversion to it, the UltraFX Constuction Set. Is there anything out there that I can get my hands on to convert my set?

Thanks

MoonDragn
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
I asked Ultrasabers the same question about the construction set but never got a reply back for it. Someone mentioned in another forum that you could just use the ANH conversion kit but I haven't confirmed this.

xwingband
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
You aren't SOL luck on the 2002 Ani... but most don't bother. Especially the "pro" people doing conversions. So few have it and it's a pain to work with the crappy parts it came with.

The Joe Jedi kit, there is NOTHING to convert! It already has a "luxeon" style LED. When you pay for the conversion at Ultrasabers you are really paying for the blade and paying a premium for not DIY.

When Ultrasabers converts a saber they take the blade off and push the LED further down. Both things you can do yourself with many tools you probably already have. There is no soldering required. With a hacksaw, screwdriver, hammer and punch you could "convert" it for the cost of a new blade ($30 maybe).

MoonDragn
09-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I thought they replaced the plastic core with a metal one?

All they are doing is pushing it down?
wouldn't that still make the blade flimsy?

duncan29793
09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
You aren't SOL luck on the 2002 Ani... but most don't bother. Especially the "pro" people doing conversions. So few have it and it's a pain to work with the crappy parts it came with.

The Joe Jedi kit, there is NOTHING to convert! It already has a "luxeon" style LED. When you pay for the conversion at Ultrasabers you are really paying for the blade and paying a premium for not DIY.

When Ultrasabers converts a saber they take the blade off and push the LED further down. Both things you can do yourself with many tools you probably already have. There is no soldering required. With a hacksaw, screwdriver, hammer and punch you could "convert" it for the cost of a new blade ($30 maybe).

Thanks Xwing. As I was driving home I was thinking about the Conversion Kit for the Constructio Set (just made the connection that Joe Jedi kit is the FX Construction set... been wondering what that was) and remembered that the blade is already removable on it, so what exactly would be converted? This pretty much sums it up.. not much. I do think it needs a better blade as the one is came with I feel is too short. EDIT - OK I thought it was removable... guess I was wrong. - /EDIT

So would it be recommended to sink the LED further in, or is it fine where it is at for just being a show blade? And as for the LED, you said "Luxeon" style. Would it be smart to upgrade it if I get Corbin or TCSS blade on it?

As for the Anakin, I think I will leave it alone. Nice relic to look at, lol.

MoonDragn
09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
The Joe jedi LED is NOT a luxeon. It is a Tri-color LED that is very bright. But not a luxeon. If you upgrade it to a luxeon, you will lose the ability to change to the 3 different colors. Or more colors if you do the color modification.

xwingband
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I thought they replaced the plastic core with a metal one?

All they are doing is pushing it down?
wouldn't that still make the blade flimsy?

They only do that on the Luke ROTJ and Mace because they have such a small socket to begin with. Every other saber is converted with stock guts. On the Joe-Jedi they don't even need to put a heatsink or anything. They just secure the LED further in the hilt.

The blade is switched. It's as durable as any of their others...

ducan, there is no reason not to push the LED further. As is the MR people have it so that it is inside the first few inches of blade and is very near to the emitter. Removing the blade you need more area to make a secure holder so it only benefits you.

Kurosawa
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I once had one of these construction kits that I bought for cheap just out of curiosity and pretty much did what X-wing mentioned, with the only difference being that i installed a set screw into each of the emitters, the only out of pocket cost other than the saber itself was the cost of the set screws!

fawnheart2000
09-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Also if you wanted to the 1.25" blade holder fits nicely inside the metal hilt, you would just need to drill a hole for a retention screw that will also hold your emitter onto the hilt.