PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement

Donnovan Sunrider
09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Here is something that I've been thinking about for my rebuild/upgrade of Exitilius, my sabre.

How many folks here have placed their speakers in a location other than in the pommel?
From my impression of the films, the sounds from a lightsabre come from the blade, for all we can tell the handle is silent. Has anyone tried placing a speaker more forward so the sound comes out more towards the blade?
I'm thinking that one of the little 1" speakers Tim sells can be placed towards the front behind the LED/heat sink assembly and be heard through 3-4 slots cut into the hilt. Enough to hear, but not enough to sacrifice hilt strength. The tricky bit from what I can see is that any holder for the speaker would have to be made to allow wires to pass by the speaker without too badly interfering with the resonance.

Any thoughts on any of this? Am I just being too picky or might that be kinda cool if implemented right?

valeon
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
That's the beauty of custom sabers, if you can think it, you can do it. Just a slight modification with a dremel and voila you have a forward mounted speaker. Cut slots for the wires, just deep enough in the inside hilt wall for them to pass unharmed. Than use a cutting blade and cut slots in the hilt thin enough to be well hidden for sound to escape. Problem solved.

Cheers!

tinfoilhelmet
09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
a stereo soundboard with one speaker up front and one in the pommel would be something, eh?
EH??