PDA

View Full Version : long time fan of star wars.. new to building sabers

duncan29793
09-15-2008, 11:55 PM
well I have been lurking around the site for awhile trying to learn what I needed to be able to make myself, and my son, a saber. At first my eyes were OO as I saw the possabilities of what could be done, and then I was :( as I put together not only the work it would take to do it but also the kill on the pocketbook. Now I am not against taking the time and putting the work in, I just was overwhelmed at what could be done and what my skills (or lack of) were for me to do what I desired. And for me to develope those skills I saw many a broken and busted saber part in my future, lol.

Well, thanks to Jay-Gon-Jin's post with his padawan sabers thread I am full of hope and excitement. I just went out tonight to Lowe's and Radio Shack to start getting a list of what is available to build my first saber. It will be for my 3 yr old son and will be for all intents and purposes a very basic entry level saber. Just right for me :D With a little experience from that I can take the next step up and build me own.

I actually am looking forward to him getting a little older so I can take the next step and build him his second saber using what I have learned putting our first ones together.

So with that, I will probably be making threads on here asking for help for things that might seem very obvious to you all... but that is just me. I am very analytical and like things spelled out for me, at least twice. My mom always said I was a bright kid, just lacked common sense :wink:

So in advance, thank you all for your future help and current inspiration.

LordMasoch
09-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forums! :D

I know what you mean when it comes to the cost involved. I think I'm spending about as much on my saber this year as I spend on my daughter in a week. :3 I can't wait 'til she's old enough to have a saber! :D

Honestly, the electronics are pretty straightforward, and everyone here is REALLY helpful. Though I may just be a newbie myself, I've already learned a lot from lurking.

Good luck on your build!

VeggieJedi
09-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Welcome! :D
Don't worry, sabers can be as expensive as you like or as cheap as you like and still come up with a great saber! you're only limited by your imagination:grin:

swear000
09-16-2008, 08:46 AM
it all depends how much you want on it. Dirt cheap is PVC

http://www.dougie-doright.com/tutorial.html

Mazarill Slay
09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Welcome :D

duncan29793
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
it all depends how much you want on it. Dirt cheap is PVC

http://www.dougie-doright.com/tutorial.html

Thanks for the welcome everyone. And thank you Swear for the url, much appreciated.

Lord Preston
09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Welcome to your new addiction!

ShadowStar
09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Im new to this site and love starwars and im wanting to build a lightsaber but i dont know how???.... Iv made a design but dont know what parts i need or where to start so if anyone could give me some advice on the subjuct i would appreciate it very much..... thanks SS.... Iv tryed to get a bigger pic of my design but i dont know how to do it sorry.....

swear000
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
that one looks pretty easy. The pommel, ribbbed section, switch, covertec clip, and blade holder can all be gotten from the shop. The blade components and LED can all be gotten at the shop as well. Then all you need is a 1.5" sink tube for making the outer layer. The bottom ribbed section above the pommel may have to be custom though. Be sure to search the forums for basic sink tube lightsaber construction tips and you will see how it all goes together. Jay-Gon does really awesome ones.