PDA

View Full Version : Can this Larbel be converted to fit a Lux 3?

morrisart85
09-14-2008, 02:44 AM
I've finally gotten my hands on a larbel obi-wan TPM saber, but I haven't made the purchase yet, because i don't know if I can convert this saber for a lux 3. I'm not too concerned about sound right now, but i'd like to know if it's even worth getting if I'm trying to get an LED saber. Thanks in advance!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/morrisart85/obi-wan1.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/morrisart85/obi2.jpg

Malaki Skywalker
09-14-2008, 02:57 AM
PM Xwingband, he's done a few Parks and Larbel Obi conversions :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Is that black emitter section hollow? If it is, what size is the hole? If you could put a 1.25" blade holder in there, it shouldn't be too hard.

What about the grip section? Is there room in there for a set of batteries? If yes, then I don't see why you couldn't light it up.

The trickiest part will be switch placement.

xwingband
09-14-2008, 08:55 AM
That doesn't look like an EL-ready one. The pommel doesn't look like it comes off and the top isn't setup for a switch.

Even so an EL-ready larbel is an utter pain in the butt. I'll never do one again without getting major machine work done to it.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Good points. Might be a bit of a pain to do. You would know better than me.

I thought that if you could fit a Corbin board inside the grip section with a 4AAA battery pack, it might work. You could hide a mini tactile switch in the black grip material easily enough.

morrisart85
09-14-2008, 03:21 PM
See this is the problem i'm having so far, All I have to go by are the two pictures. The seller claims that it WILL accept electronics. I'd honestly be satisfied with just a lux 3. Sound is not really a big deal. If I have it my way, this saber will by my main dueling blade when me and friends get together and have fun with them, and sound honestly distracts me. I've asked for more photos, but the seller seemed to be getting agitated and I don't want to chance him selling it to someone else.

xwingband
09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, he could honestly think it is capable of adding electronics simply because it's hollow. That may be true, but there are a few point which will give you loads of grief.

A) The top on an EL-ready Larbel is already drilled for a switch. It has a detachable cap with a small push-button. This one appears to have just the screw for the cap. If there isn't a notch in the blade holder up there too it will need machining or you'd have to place a switch elsewhere.
B) The pommel should come off. On an EL-ready the pommel unscrews. That one appears to be one piece which is not an EL-ready one in my experience.

morrisart85
09-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Xwing, PM sent. thanks!