PDA

View Full Version : Good source for colored P4's?

FenderBender
09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I have been on google for hours and for some reason I can only find white P4s. Anyone here know of a good source for colored p4s?

Roy's Blues
09-12-2008, 08:24 AM
http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-LEDs-Seoul/-3.5W-Seoul-LEDs-c_121_78.html

FenderBender
09-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Great! Thanks a lot. Before I order from them, are there any domestic sources?

Strydur
09-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I thought the consensus was that the colored P4 aren't worth getting over luxeons.

Hasid Lafre
09-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Xwing said that with teh susposed 200 or so lumens on teh gree that it should beat out a luxV and a rebel But I see it as just as good and deffinatly better than k2s or luxIIIs.

Darth_DevilGuy
09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
I thought the consensus was that the colored P4 aren't worth getting over luxeons.

looking at the lumens only white and green are any better really...

White = 240 @ 1000 mah
Green = 160 @ 1000 mah (better than lux V by 20)
Red = 108 @ 1000 mah (worse than lux III by ~30 but lower amperage)
Blue = 38 @ 1000 mah (better by ~ 4 lumens)

FenderBender
09-12-2008, 06:56 PM
I like them cause you can run them directly from the 616 board without buckpucks or whatever. I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like the lumens ratings on the Seoul site are at 350ma of current not the 900ma-1a that the 616/mr boards put out.

More specifically Im after the Red, directly off the board they're under-driven for a Lux III. I want to keep the fade in/out effect and I would lose that with a puck and dont want to spend more money on a corbin driver. So with that in mind Im looking for the Red P4's and while I was at it I was going to pick up the other colors to try as well.

xoliilox
09-12-2008, 08:05 PM
the greens are definitely worth it in my experience. the two I got are at least as bright as lux5s (although a tad less rich) and you can overdrive them at 1200ma and get them even brighter. they also use much lower voltage so...

eastern57
09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
the greens are definitely worth it in my experience. the two I got are at least as bright as lux5s (although a tad less rich) and you can overdrive them at 1200ma and get them even brighter. they also use much lower voltage so...

I'll back that by saying the P4 green is certainly both brighter AND more power efficient than the LuxIIIs and K2s. Bin# aside, the LuxV that I had cast a little broader halo against on the floor, but the lighter tint of the p4 made it appear as bright... possibly even brighter if I drove it harder.

BUT - they were both over-driven to begin with: LuxV @ 1A and P4 @ 1.2A. At spec, there might be different and/or surprising results.

I've made some picture and video comparisons - they're here somewhere - feel free to judge for yourself...

Hasid Lafre
09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
But then again I dont really go by lumen ratings as better, for all we know the k2 red at 1.5 is better than the luxIII red at 1.5.

That and we lose lumens when we focus the light and diffuse it.

Count Malik
09-12-2008, 10:49 PM
I wonder if you could use a colored p4 with ultra sound v2

Master Dru-Er
09-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Thats what i'm doing, with a blue from led tech. I picked up 2 about a month ago. With the tcss lux 3 resistered kit, it, was quite bright. I'd say even a lil brighter than my bin 1 cyan.

Novastar
09-13-2008, 01:08 AM
I wonder if you could use a colored p4 with ultra sound v2Actually, you can use ANY LED you like with most any LED driver, as long as:

* Current specifications of board output don't "blow out" the LED's specs (over-driving aside naturally)

That's about it. In the case of CF and the US boards... I THINK they work in a similar fashion regarding getting to the "ideal" voltage, so... you usually don't have to worry about that too much. Only when direct driving (no driver essentially).

Hasid Lafre
09-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Drivers and leds are a hand in hand kinda thing.

FenderBender
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok, just ordered one of each color P4 to try out. I got them from www.mouser.com . Tim has them beat on the whites for sure but the colored are cheaper and its a domestic source.

Novastar
09-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Drivers and leds are a hand in hand kinda thing.Not necessarily... it just depends on what you want to do with the LED in question.

In fact--apart from sabers--LEDs are OFTEN driven "directly" in just about every possible application you can imagine...

Computers... little devices that need to "blink" the LEDs in a simple on or off format (such as on... like... an internet/network/cable box)... stereos... etc.

As it is, I was mentioning to folks that a fun little idea is to buy like 100 "coin cell" 3v Lithiums... 100 super basic tiny LEDs (aka "indicator" LEDs for us saber fools)... tape the LED leads onto the coin cell's sides (anode / cathode), and voila: instant LED "throwies"! :)

Perfect for b-day parties where you wanna be unique and fun... and they really don't cost much I'd imagine. 100 basic 20mA LEDs can be had for probably $10 to $20?? Maybe less. And the coin cells--I don't know, maybe they are $1 for a pack of 2 or 3 or you can buy bulk.

Easy to find for cleanup later on too... :D