PDA

View Full Version : Battery Opinions

Ebon
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
OK, I am a lightweight as far as my electronics knowledge goes...I have built a CF and a couple of MR based MHS hilts, but I have basically went by the recommended specs as far as the batteries go.

I have read that the Lux V is best run off of 800 mAH, but I haven't found, for the love of my crusted brain, why or if it would damage it.

My question is this:
I have ordered an Ultrasound V2 and a Lux V blue LED. I am wanting to run the most power I can safely that will also fit inside a standard MHS hilt piece. Length is not an issue as I will be making a fairly long hilt anyways but should I use the 7.2V 800maH Li-Ion battery pack or the 7.2V 2600maH NIMh pack?

And, Is there really any difference for this set up as I already have a Li-Ion charger but not a NIMH charger so that would be an extra expense, but I would gladly pay if it would increase the light output at any noticable amount.

Ebon

Strydur
09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
The maH has nothing to do with light output and everything to do with how long the batteries will last before needing to be charged.

Ebon
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Ah, well that answers that then :)

Thanks for the help Strydur

Ebon

Novastar
09-11-2008, 08:37 PM
To add to that... for the mostpart, mAh ratings from cell to cell are the same. As in:

2400mAh of Li-Ion
=
2400mAh of Ni-Cad, Ni-Mh, Lead-Acid, Alkaline, etc.

For the mostpart.

Li-Ions have the "flattest" discharge curve; as in they maintain voltage and current output the best before starting to "drop off".

Finally, as Tim basically is saying... "mAh" and "mA" are not at all the same. It's just like saying "miles per hour" and "miles". Respectively, the first ones here are measurements OVER TIME. The others are simply current and... uh... miles. :)

Noyl Wendor
10-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I am some what nube-ish to this as well. I have just gone over the resistor chart. I want to build some thing 8 to 12 volts, but I am having trouble. Unless the "buckpuck" that is a 1000 ma is correct to use with the Blue K2. So I would need the 5.6 to 12.6 watt resistor?
Sound right?
Plus I was hoping if I could find out when new LED kits will be available?

Master Dru-Er
10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
no resistor needed the puck does all the work.

SFXER001
10-03-2008, 08:10 AM
As a fellow newbie, I stumbled across this thread and figured this would be a good place to ask this question. I'm thinking about building a Red-O Lux III saber and run it off the standard 4AAA battery configuration included in Tim's Lux III kit. If I purchase a 1000mA buckpuck, that will suffice right out of the package in place of the resistor for a Red-O Lux III, correct? I don't need to configure the 1000 mA buckpuck at all, just wire it up and go?

MoonDragn
10-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Thats correct. As long as the battery is over 5 volts it will keep the Luxeon going.

Noyl Wendor
10-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Cool. That helps a bunch, I went to the resistor chart and figured out some stuff there. Now all that I need is to get my hands on a full kit or see what I can do to get all the right pieces.