PDA

View Full Version : Placement of thumb screw

Otaku Jester
09-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Hello,
First post here, and just off the bat, I couldn't find an answer to this in the forums, if it's here somewhere, just point me in the right direction....BUT...
I'm building my first blade. The blade holder I'm using is a style 10, and beneath that a MHS ribbed extension v-grooved style neck, and I was wondering, since the blade holder is angled, where (preferably using a picture so I can see better) would all you saber building Vets suggest putting the blade screw? Should I try putting it in the angled blade holder, or somewhere in the v-grooved style neck? (again, a picture would be great lol)

Thanks!

xwingband
09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
The blade doesn't go into the v-grooved section at all. Oviously it only goes in the blade holder. You should put the screw somewhere on there. The more "meat" the better.

Otaku Jester
09-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Lol sorry about being a noob lol, i completely forgot that the blade can't go past the LED lol, so of course it wouldn't go into the neck lol! my bad :P
The only thing I was worried about, since the outside of the blade holder is angled, is that the screw will not sit flush next to it, unless I have the screw going thru the threading on the blade holder, or I angle the screw against the part that doesn't have threading, and if I do this, will that hold the blade securely, with the screw being angled to sit flush??

Darth Leximus
09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
putting the blade screw through the threads won't work either the blade doesn't go in that far eiter. Where the threads are is where the led/optics will end up being housed.

I would suggest a hex head set screw so that nothing protrudes from the holder and it maintains a nice contour. Just make sure when you are drilling and tapping the hole for the screw that you drill straight, if it's at an angle it will make life more difficult.

Otaku Jester
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I would suggest a hex head set screw so that nothing protrudes from the holder and it maintains a nice contour. Just make sure when you are drilling and tapping the hole for the screw that you drill straight, if it's at an angle it will make life more difficult.

why didn't i think of that? the hex head screw solves all my problems! it'll sit in a bit, so i don't have something sticking out weird, but will still hold the blade! Sorry if i was particularly noob-ish, this is my first saber, and I just wanted to make sure it comes out great! thanks for the help!

Otaku Jester
09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Ok, one last question, (for now anyway) what size of hex head screw would you recommend? would the 10-32 x 1/4" set screw be sufficient? i imagine length isn't going to be an issue, as i can keep screwing it in a bit, if it's not long enough, till it holds the blade securely, but, is this a good choice for a blade retention screw?

tinfoilhelmet
09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
yes it will do fine.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
If you have a drill press, use it to drill the hole. If not, try to make sure you drill it perpendicular to the blade socket wall, other wise, the set screw will dig into the side of the blade at an angle, rather than straight on. It'll hold better if it's straight.