PDA

View Full Version : Brightness and battery life vs EL

MtnJedi
11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
From what I've read and seen, it seems that an LED saber (with one LED in the hilt) will be brighter than an EL saber. Is this true? My EL has 4 khz and 18 volts. Second, which would have a longer lasting battery life? Thanks for any info.

Strydur
11-15-2005, 01:01 PM
It depends, a red EL blade is going to be allot dimmer than a red LED. But a lime green EL running at 4khz and 18v would probably be pretty dang close to a green LED. LED and EL both have diferent brightness depending on color and other factors.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

MtnJedi
11-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Blue?

Also, my new blue EL blade seems dimmer than my old blue Parks blade. Maybe that's cause it's a deeper blue. I'm pretty sure I put it together correctly.

Strydur
11-15-2005, 03:01 PM
A true blue is dimmer than aqua.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

GeluKhanGharr
12-13-2005, 03:30 PM
my 1W Lux Royal Blue is way brighter than any blue EL I've built or have seen. Tim's 3W blue Luxeon is bound to be way brighter than mine.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

vadeblade
12-15-2005, 08:53 AM
I think this stays on topic. For the Luxeon III what is the order of brightness between these four?

Blue
Royal Blue
Cyan
Red

Or should I just get white and buy the filters. I'm ordering two today.

And one more question, will the filters melt if it is too close to the LED?

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

Strydur
12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
The lens and holders are made of plastic and those are between the led and the colored discs..so nope

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

vadeblade
12-15-2005, 09:31 AM
OK, I think I found answers to my own question.

Applying 3.9 volts to a luxeon III Star gives the following results according to the Luxeon data sheet:

Color Lumens
Red 140
White 65
Cyan 64
Blue 23 [:(]
Roya Blue 340 mW [?]

I really wanted to build a blue lightsaber, but boy, do those numbers suck compared to red, red-orange, and amber. White maybe an option but how much will the lumens drop when a blue filter is installed???

LAN-ED-TUL
12-15-2005, 09:38 AM
you'll probably lose a few. maybe a drop to 50 if i remember right from something i read about.

UltraSWG
12-21-2005, 05:17 AM
Hey yall, if you want blue just get a Star III blue, the lumens numbers don't mean crap for the blue spectrum. I use Star III blues in my blue sabers and they are bright as hell. Even the blue Star/O's are blindingly bright. Try it, you'll see.

Strydur
12-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I agree with ultra. All of the luxeons are plenty bright. Get the color you want and forget the damn lumens chart.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

psab keel
01-05-2006, 02:03 PM
plus you have to understand that the human eyes doesn't necessarily correspond to lumens ratings. red and red orange may be bright in terms of lumens ratings but they still don't appear to be as bright as green. It's because of the way that the human eye perceives color. I'm with the others on that too, just go with whatever color you want. Luxeon LED's are plenty bright enough, no matter what the color is.

Psab

Follow Your Bliss

GeluKhanGharr
01-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Vincent, my 1 watt Luxeon star ROYAL BLUE was brighter than MR FX Anakin. Go with the color you want and forget about their charts -like all the veterans have told you. [;)]

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

Cyambin
02-01-2006, 11:58 AM
But whydoes it say 340mW for Royal Blue? What's that all about??

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Trust Gelu,

I bought a royal blue LED from Tim and my eyes were watering for a couple minutes after accidently setting it off (using allegator clips to make sure everything works and how it works etc.) while looking into it.[B)] The LED's are all plenty bright. Just pick the one you want. I personally couldn't be happier with my royal blue.