PDA

View Full Version : LED bulb size, and even-ness of blade...

Eandori
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to make a quick post on this topic. I spent some time trying to figure out how my Proto2 saber was so even, yet my Proto3A saber with the same blade construction was just not as even. I tried for awhile to adjust the placement of the lens, number of clear plastic wrap layers, types of mirrors, etc. Nothing in Proto3A achived the same evenly lit blade I had in Proto2.

Recently, I think it finally hit me. It was not the blade that was the final trick. My blades WERE the same, and not the problem this time. It is my Luxeon V LED! If you look closely at the bulb, and the height off the LED star, it's slightly different then a Luxeon K2 green. I believe it's the bulb size and height off the Star that made that final difference in focused light emission, which resulted in a more even blade.

So... I love the brightness of my luxeon V... but I also loved the lower power requirement and evenly lit blade of my Green K2.

I suppose my only next step is to find a better optic to match Luxeon V's

Thoughts?

xwingband
09-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Given the same focal length and angle I think the dome height should be negligable to change the way the V lights up a blade.

I think the wafer size is the difference. V's are loosing ground in the flashlight realm except for flood lights.

So hopefully you can follow my line of thought. The Rebels kick butt and I think that's partly because they're getting more light under the sweet spot of the optics. Simply put because of that I can throw more of it up the blade.

As such I think one thing I'd suggest to you is trying the small hex optics that are out there. Being smaller I think they could help throw more up the blade instead of being a "floody" light.

Eandori
09-05-2008, 09:15 AM
It's a great suggestion. I'll order some rebels the next time I place an order for LED's. More light up the blade is exactly what I'm going for after all :)