PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 Thick walled Blades

thejedilestat
09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
i know thay are use for the EL Blades but could one be used for a Lux V saber

at the moment im not to concerned with brightness thanks to Pullos therd but i also wanna know if it is worth uesin blade film or just sand blasting it?

Lord Maul
09-01-2008, 07:50 PM
You only want to use thin walled 3/4" blades for luxeons. I believe Tim sells it.

Yeah, here's the url
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/34-Thin-walled-Polycarbonate-40-long--P153.aspx

A quad wrap of Corbin's film would be great for it, but the best diffuser for 3/4" blades is a combo of Corbin's (2 wraps normally) and cellophane (~3 feet).

thejedilestat
09-02-2008, 03:49 PM
A quad wrap of Corbin's film would be great for it, but the best diffuser for 3/4" blades is a combo of Corbin's (2 wraps normally) and cellophane (~3 feet).

thanks lord maul

Anavrin
09-22-2008, 05:54 AM
You only want to use thin walled 3/4" blades for luxeons. I believe Tim sells it.

Yeah, here's the url
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/34-Thin-walled-Polycarbonate-40-long--P153.aspx

Not to res a thread, but why would you only /want/ to use a thing walled 3/4"? Thick walled can be sourced, and I've been wanting to as I need a dueling blade, but want to go smaller to fit a particular design. Does the 1/2" id not allow enough space for the light? the 6º collimator I found and Rebel PCB are small enough that shouldn't be a problem. The 1/8" walls shouldn't pose much flex, either. I have no issue, either, with tooling a PolyC Sphere to fit the need, or sanding one of Tim's down. But if there's a specific problem with thick walled 3/4", please shoot me down before I end up with an expensive custom tooled belt hilt! ;)

Strydur
09-22-2008, 08:01 AM
We sell thick walled tubes and tips..look in the EL section. The reason has always been the amount of light that can make it up the tube. With smaller optics you should be fine.

Anavrin
09-27-2008, 07:52 AM
We sell thick walled tubes and tips..look in the EL section. The reason has always been the amount of light that can make it up the tube. With smaller optics you should be fine.

Thanks for the Heads up! (yes, I'm slow)

I'm currently talking to a company that makes Polycarb tubes. I'm asking if they can extruded/form tubes with rounded tips. Interested?

xwingband
09-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Any company that could injection mold PolyC would want a HUGE volume.

Extrusion wouldn't work for a built in tip at least.

Anavrin
09-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Any company that could injection mold PolyC would want a HUGE volume.

Extrusion wouldn't work for a built in tip at least.

I was discussing alternate techniques with them that involve a serious perversion of the extrusion method (and they've even suggested visiting and experimenting! *joy*). We've talked order ranges of 50-100 four-foot tubes. It'd be an investment like whoa, but just supplying a few groups/stores would run through that stock. I have no idea if it'll pan, but if it could be done... It'd open a whole new series of technical problems to solve! :lol:

xwingband
09-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I think I know what you are getting at. If it were me I'd press the ends in when it was coming out of an extruder.

The problem I see with a one piece solution is the diffusers. A lot are using films now so unless it has a flat bottom on the inside the tip is going to light worse. Sure it's more uniform on the outside, but when on you'd have to conquer the the way it would light up.

50-100 really isn't much though... I wouldn't be surprised if TCSS alone went through that monthly.

Anavrin
09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
The problem I see with a one piece solution is the diffusers. A lot are using films now so unless it has a flat bottom on the inside the tip is going to light worse. Sure it's more uniform on the outside, but when on you'd have to conquer the the way it would light up.

Not to give too much away, but I think I even have a fix for that ;) But... it'll be one of those things that works or doesn't in the end ;) Now I just have to convince my other half that it's worth the money... :mrgreen:

50-100 really isn't much though... I wouldn't be surprised if TCSS alone went through that monthly.

If this /works/, I'd be willing to go into business selling the things fully diffused and ready, or just in bulk to dealers. Or just set it up so they could get them direct in batches (cause I like these guys so much ;). But for me, I'm going to test it myself, first in 1" and 3/4" Thick walled., so a small batch it shall be.

Novastar
09-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Sounds cool to me... :) I'd love to see how 3/4" blades would be for shows and such. I imagine the optics would still play a VERY important role...

Anavrin
09-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Sounds cool to me... :) I'd love to see how 3/4" blades would be for shows and such. I imagine the optics would still play a VERY important role...

It'd be Vital, but the store I'm looking at has small dia optics for a Rebel 10x10mm pcb. XD