PDA

View Full Version : Stunt saber blade coloring

Gandrobacca
09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Hello all, just wanted your opinion on something. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, has anyone ever tried painting the INSIDE of a polycarbonate tube? I'm not interested in illumination of the blade right now, just wondering if I could add some color to purely stunt/dueling blades. Your thoughts on paint types, previous attempts, etc. welcome.

P.S. I have been unable to find pre-colored polycarbonate tubing on the web, only colored acrylic tubing.

Lord Preston
09-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome to the forums! I have tried, but to no avail. Some of the masters around here can be of better service.

Lord Maul
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I realy don't think it's worth the trouble. It's an extra 20 bucks and you can have it lit. I figure "why not?"

Lord Dottore Matto
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
You could use colored cellophane, but I agree w/ lord Maul, Just light it up!

Linky to the cello--->http://www.papermart.com/templates/47-0-30.htm

eastern57
09-01-2008, 11:00 PM
LOL! :D I love your avatar! That's awesome!

and no, I've never tried, but it sounds way easy: can of spray paint and some time between sprays... sounds easy enough. :cool:

Lord Maul
09-01-2008, 11:02 PM
The problem I see is that you wouldn't be able to get a thick coat in the middle of the blade. Also the paint would probably crack during dueling because of the blade flexing.

eastern57
09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Automotive paint flexes.

Gandrobacca
09-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I thought I might fill the blade with some cheap bright paint, let it sit a while, then dump what doesn't dry back into the can. Hopefully some will stick to the inside, then I could repeat that a couple times to see what kind of results I would get. Based on some quick calculations, a 3/4" ID blade, approx 40", would require less than 300 mL to fill.

Thoughts?

Gandrobacca
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
You could use colored cellophane, but I agree w/ lord Maul, Just light it up!

Linky to the cello--->http://www.papermart.com/templates/47-0-30.htm

Do you have a picture of what a cellophane filled stunt blade looks like? Or a link perhaps?

Thx.

Lord Dottore Matto
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Do you have a picture of what a cellophane filled stunt blade looks like? Or a link perhaps?

Thx.

I've never done it, but the cello is really cheap, so it would be worth a try. You could pick whatever color you want and not ruin a perfectly good blade with paint.:p