PDA

View Full Version : question to those who know

darth ney
09-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I was wondering, with all the rage in the crystal chamber for sabers i got to thinking,what happens to pure quartz crystal when you wrap it in a strong electro-magnetic field? i did some digging to find out, all i came up with is that quartz emits an EM field of its own. and that it will glow if you rub two pieces of it together with enough pressure. so i ask what do you think will happen to quartz when encompused in a strong em field?

by the way i do have a few ideas to use quartz in a saber,so this thread is relevant to this board.

Jedi-Loreen
09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Have you heard of piezoelectricity? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity)

When you put stress on a crystal, like quartz, it emits an electrical charge. Ever seen a piezo cigarette lighter? It's fun to take them apart and take out the working parts and play with the charges and sparks it produces.

Conversely, if you apply voltage to a crystal, it vibrates, the frequency can be tuned for various applications. This is the basis for a quartz watch.

These use small pieces of crystal though. I'm not sure what the effect will be using a large crystal.

I'll be interested to see how you apply this to a lightsaber.

darth ney
09-01-2008, 03:25 PM
well i have a few quartz rods(pure quartz cut from large crystal points) i will do some experimenting, and see if it will work. i will try to put up pics and new findings in the New technologies (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4) thread. i dont want to say much about what i want to do with this,untill i know if it will work or not. but i hope it will!!! thanx j-lo, ur sweet. i never new about piezoelectricity untill now.:D. now im off to take apart my lighter.

swear000
09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
well it is good you guys are thinking on the atomic level. The piezo effect stems from the lattice structure of the crystal itself. Squishing the crystal re-arranges the lattice framework and creates characteristic effects. Only application I have seen of this is in the peizo speaker which is in computers. The amount of energy you can get from this phenomenon is probably relatively small. It is an interesting idea though so keep playing around with stuff. who knows you may find a way of creating diamonds or something. A lot of cool things happen at the atomic level.

Novastar
09-01-2008, 04:40 PM
As far as I know (like what J-Lo is saying), there is TECHNICALLY already this going on with CF (as an example)... due to the clock that is a part of how the board is able to work with the processor and so forth.

Also as far as I know--all computers have a "crystal" for the clock, and this is also what determines the mega/gigahertz they will run at, which is best to be "in tune" with the processor itself and how often it is able to accept new commands (essentially, the "bus").

I could be wrong, but... that is essentially how I understand it.

annon
09-01-2008, 04:42 PM
If Ney creates a pure energy blade I'm going to be so jealous. :lol:
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

darth ney
09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
if i were to create a pure energy blade first thing i would do is get a patent, the second thing i would do is give one to every member of this bord that is over the age of 18,then i would sell them at $100,000 each.lol

eastern57
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
... and then get sued by LFL ;)

but that's okay, because you'd already have a lightsaber weilding army behind you... :)

Donnovan Sunrider
09-01-2008, 05:37 PM
We're holding you to that! It's in print, no take-backs! :D

darth ney
09-01-2008, 06:03 PM
... and then get sued by LFL ;)

but that's okay, because you'd already have a lightsaber weilding army behind you... :)

lol yes i would, but if my army helps me with the write-ing up of the patent.then i wont get sued.:D

We're holding you to that! It's in print, no take-backs! :D

If i do it for real, then you can hold me to it.I would have to make it so each person could built a custom hilt around it.

Lord Preston
09-01-2008, 06:50 PM
if i were to create a pure energy blade first thing i would do is get a patent, the second thing i would do is give one to every member of this bord that is over the age of 18,then i would sell them at $100,000 each.lol

Too late, I already built one, and Mr. Lucas has given me all right to lightsabers. So fork over the cash.

darth ney
09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Too late, I already built one, and Mr. Lucas has given me all right to lightsabers. So fork over the cash.

ok lets see it then, then i'll fork over the cash

swear000
09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Wikipedia is really good with the information. The crystals can vibrate at different frequencies and thus be used for different computer parts. See the table near the bottom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

It seems that the crystal is used along the lines of "tuning". So, for example the generation of the beam may come from a different source and the tuning frequency could be used to adjust a property of the beam (say length). The lower/higher the octave, the shorter/longer the beam.

darth ney
09-01-2008, 07:48 PM
another question.. does anybody know what the true size of a plasma molecule is(in nanometers)

swear000
09-01-2008, 08:30 PM
plasma is like dust so maybe like silica...good question...um....more googling!

Hasid Lafre
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
How could LFL sue in anyway if someone created a real lightsaber?

GL created a fictional weapon and dosent own a patient on said fictional weapon.

He owns the words lightsaber/laser sword and images.....of sorts.

So tell me if we created a real lightsaber hwo could GL/lfl sue anyone in any way?

darth ney
09-01-2008, 09:34 PM
How could LFL sue in anyway if someone created a real lightsaber?

GL created a fictional weapon and dosent own a patient on said fictional weapon.

He owns the words lightsaber/laser sword and images.....of sorts.

So tell me if we created a real lightsaber hwo could GL/lfl sue anyone in any way?

ok first if i call it a lightsaber than he can sue or even a laser sword,. the only thing i can call it would be a portable energy bladed sword.and if u want to be tecnical he could sue all of us as you have said he even owns the image of the lightsaber

Kal El Rah
09-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Did any of you watch Star Wars Tech on the History Channel last year?, they already have created Cold Plasma shields, Plasma Windows and even a Plasma Blade, unfortunately the blade has no way to control the length yet and well it takes a large building to generate enough power to drive these things. GL hasn't sued them for creating these things. It's Technology coming true, that's all.

swear000
09-02-2008, 01:11 AM
yea star wars/star trek is driving modern technological development. The whole sci-fi genre gives new ideas to scientists. If it can be dreamed, it can be done.

Hasid Lafre
09-02-2008, 03:00 AM
It could be called an energy sword.

valeon
09-02-2008, 05:13 AM
If you were to make a portable version of the huge military regulated beam, I would bow to you.

swear000
09-02-2008, 05:56 AM
at the very least I think of it as a good way to learn about technology.