PDA

View Full Version : question about flat black

darth ney
08-28-2008, 02:46 PM
ok if i get the flat black and do a clear coat over it what will happen? i like the flat but not the wet look.

Darth_DevilGuy
08-28-2008, 03:02 PM
it should impart a slight sheen to it but nothing like the wet black look, at least thats what I would think from my previous experience with clear coating models and some of my artwork, but I haven't seen Tim's results directly.

xl97
08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
why add a clear cot then if you do NOT liek the 'wet' look?

Are you trying to add more protection?

powder coating is very durable by itself.. (thats why people use it over painting)..

for example Harley motorcycle frame are powder coated.. and they are very durable..

darth ney
08-28-2008, 03:37 PM
i want it to be more protected,i've never seen PC first hand,so i did not know how strong it was thanx for informing me of that fact. now my soon to be all aluminum qui gon will look sweet!!!!

Strydur
08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I guarantee you have seen it first hand and just didn't realize it. :p

There isnt much these days that is mass produced and not powder coated over painted. Yard furniture, bicycle/motorcycle frames, etc..

Here is a good write-up on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

darth ney
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
oh wow never thought of that kind of stuff. now that i think about it my bike is not painted. i can take a knife to the chrome on it and it would not hurt it at all do you think that is powder coat?

Jay-gon Jinn
08-29-2008, 01:49 AM
oh wow never thought of that kind of stuff. now that i think about it my bike is not painted. i can take a knife to the chrome on it and it would not hurt it at all do you think that is powder coat?
Powder coat and chrome plating are two totally different things, so, no, the handlebars are not powder coated.

Strydur
08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Correct..we can powder coat the color of chrome but a real chrome plate is much nicer and stronger finish.

Darth_DevilGuy
08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
yeah there are a number of acid based electroplating processes used for metals like chrome or copper that actually lay down a layer of metal over the base material.

Powder coat on the other hand relies on first coating the piece in the 'paint' and then baking it on (it's way more complicated than that but no one wants to read an essay), because metal and alloys used in plating are bonded at the molecular level, they are essentially one piece of material, and a lot tougher than powder coat, which is more like a pottery glaze.

darth ney
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
ok so let me see if i got this right,PC is not a tough as say something that is baked on? but it is still tough enough to not chip or scratch(without the clear coat) if i drop the saber say..like on cement?

Lord Maul
08-29-2008, 01:46 PM
PC is baked on. It isn't as strong as anything electroplated though. Yeah it shouldn't chip if you drop it on cement.

darth ney
08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
sweet thanx everyone. woooo powder coat it is.

Darth Quin
10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I worked making powder coating and it went thourgh many test to verify strength. Black always had great results we would bend a spray pannal over and over again and no paint cracks and would do impact test of 30+ lbs per sq inch. You will love it.

xl97
10-29-2008, 12:18 PM
wow..from two+ months ago...