PDA

View Full Version : Securing blade tips

DizzyKungFu
08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
For attaching the shouldered tips to the blades in the most secure fashion for dueling, what glue/epoxy/etc. has everyone found to be the best?

xwingband
08-25-2008, 11:36 AM
This is a FAQ question...

Weld-on #3 is good. It's a liquid like paint thinner in consistancy. There is Weld-on #16 which is a gel like PVC cement. I personally prefer that one.

I've also used the Lexan version of Zap-a-Gap. I forget the exact name, but be sure to get the plastics specific one the normal stuff will craze (fog) the PolyC. This one may be easier to get as model shops carry it. It's much faster, but has more room for error as it is like liquid superglue. Get your hand on it and it will leave a print and stick your finger together.

My advice is to stay away from "superglues" and go for a solvent type like #3 I mentioned above. Many have used clear model glues with sucess. I can't personally comment on those as it's easy for me to get the special plastic glues, so I use them.

chase
08-25-2008, 11:39 AM
And don't let it get wet or moist. I've had the same two blade for over two years now and the only time they have ever popped off was from dueling in really high humidity, or when its sprinkling out. Don't use underwater either...

xwingband
08-25-2008, 01:45 PM
I suspect that's more of a temperture difference though. The one time I popped one off outside of dueling was I dropped the blade immeadiately after going out in 40 degree weather.

ArkaiHalon
08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I use the weld on 3, and then use clear heatshrink over the first 3 inches or so of the blade. I have yet to lose a tip since adding the heatshrink.

killphil
08-26-2008, 02:04 PM
I've been using Loctite No Mess Adhesive. That is the strongest glue I've ever experienced for blade tips. It's white in color, but dries clear. Just follow the intructions and you should have no problems.

I got mine at Home Depot.

Novastar
08-27-2008, 05:26 AM
I use the weld on 3, and then use clear heatshrink over the first 3 inches or so of the blade. I have yet to lose a tip since adding the heatshrink.Now THIS is a very smart solution. :) EXCELLENT, Arkai!

Me, I've just used clear packing tape in the past, but I've been thinking about getting some clear heatshrink too... :)

Eandori
08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow, clear heatshink is a VERY good idea!!!! Nice work!

I have actually been one of those "superglue" people. But my tips stay on really well. I have only had one ever come off and I'm pretty sure I just got sloppy with that glue job. First I sand the inside of the blade and the backside of the tip to rough up the surface a bit. Then I glue the mirror on the inside of the tip. Next I liberally apply glue all around the tip where it will contact the saber (2 edges). Finally, when I put the tip on the saber I slowly rotate it until it gets "gummy" then I just let it dry.

The rotation is a key trick... it lets the glue start to build up some thickness and fill the gap between blade and tip. Glue will hold MUCH better if there is no flexing and with no air gap you will not have much flexing.

Even with all this though... I'm going to try the clear heatshrink idea. That one is the bomb.

ArkaiHalon
08-29-2008, 10:31 AM
someone (I think Xwingband) mentioned it once, long ago, and I thought it was a great idea so i ran with it. and it works GREAT. I'm tempted to heat shrink the entire blade with the corbin film between the heatshrink and the poly.

Lord Maul
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Could you snap a pic of what the heatshrink looks like illuminated Arkai?

ArkaiHalon
08-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Only if you get me a Diet Dr Pepper. LOL

Lord Maul
08-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, that's barely visible. If my blade tips ever pop I'll have to try that :cool:

gundamaniac
08-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh man. I think I'm going to need to pick me up some clear heatshrink. That looks really nice and it conforms to the tip much better than I was expecting.

DACOTA
09-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Dito on the heatshrink, but where can you get weld #3? Its probably a stupid question but I just dont know where you get it.

Lord Maul
09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Google is your friend ;)

http://www.rplastics.com/weldon3.html

DACOTA
09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Actually, nevermind, I did find that site after I asked but there is place that is about one mile from my house called fresno prescision plastics and they have weld #3.

Eandori
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
TIM!!! you need to stock that heat shrink in the store!!!

Novastar
09-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Ohhhh good idea!!

That would be sick.

*people* -- go ask about that on the wish list, heheh!

DACOTA
09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Thats what I was thinking! Off to the wishing list.