PDA

View Full Version : www.saberbuilder.com

xl97
08-24-2008, 01:24 PM
www.saberbuilder.com <--- new home

also,..
There are and have been some new parts Tim has in the store.. if anyone wants to make some renders of them..I'll add them to the SaberBuilder

Thanks

Kronk
08-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks man.

astromech_kuhns
08-24-2008, 06:08 PM
wait how is this any diffrent?

Donnovan Sunrider
08-24-2008, 06:16 PM
The Builder is now under its own domain, rather than a subdirectory under another domain.

xl97
08-24-2008, 06:25 PM
The Builder is now under its own domain, rather than a subdirectory under another domain.

bingo.

if there were any new updates or additions..they would have been posted. ;)

astromech_kuhns
08-24-2008, 06:26 PM
oh ok thats cool i noticed when i whent to it from my faveriots that it was diffrent. does it still use space like the old one did?

xl97
08-24-2008, 06:28 PM
oh ok thats cool i noticed when i whent to it from my faveriots that it was diffrent. does it still use space like the old one did?

yes, you are still asked not to abuse it..

(thats a given)

I mean I guess I dont really see a reason ANYONE needs to save/export 1 button. or 1 emitter.. or even BLANK images..

it has its own domain as stated..but still is just an ADD-ON to my original/current domain (meaning it still uses the same space)

Draconis Magnus
Nice... should put some adsense up on top to maintain the domain or something.

xl97

aslo..does your 'favorites' (bookmark) still work? resolve to a working model/application.. (it shouldnt)

xl97
08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Nice... should put some adsense up on top to maintain the domain or something.

hmmm good/great idea actually.

too bad I have never messed with googles ad-sense before..

I should be checking out how many hits this things get a daily/week/month..

I know its ALOT.. as it burns up my space quickly, and when checking visitor logs..its ALL to there..LOL

Draconis Magnus
08-24-2008, 06:33 PM
hmmm good/great idea actually.

too bad I have never messed with googles ad-sense before..

I should be checking out how many hits this things get a daily/week/month..

I know its ALOT.. as it burns up my space quickly, and when checking visitor logs..its ALL to there..LOL

Glad I could help... and thank you for doing this for us.

astromech_kuhns
08-24-2008, 06:36 PM
no it doesnt work any more:rolleyes: and i definatly know that that doesnt mean we can abuse it:D i was just wondering if that had changed at all.

Thanks

Kotlon Kuhns

Kal El Rah
08-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the updated URL.:p

Kronk
08-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Instead of exporting, I've just been taking a screen cap and pasting it into Photoshop.

Instead of the export feature that takes up space, is it possible to just have a snapshot feature and then people could paste their snapshots into PS, MSPaint, etc?

Draconis Magnus
08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Instead of the export feature that takes up space, is it possible to just have a snapshot feature and then people could paste their snapshots into PS, MSPaint, etc?

You mean the "print screen" button on your keyboard?

Kronk
08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
You mean the "print screen" button on your keyboard?

That's what I use, but I was thinking something in the GUI since not everyone knows how to use the Print Screen/Paste method. They're more common than you think. :rolleyes: And if it saves xl97 from having to clean out the abusers, all the better.

Sam Skirata
08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I just use my good friend: The Print Screen button ^^ seriously if you want to save bandwidth just use this handy little button and paste it into "paint" or photoshop or gimp or anything else. The only bad thing is that laptops generally don't have them.....

xl97
08-24-2008, 10:29 PM
That's what I use, but I was thinking something in the GUI since not everyone knows how to use the Print Screen/Paste method. They're more common than you think. :rolleyes: And if it saves xl97 from having to clean out the abusers, all the better.

I guess I dont understand?? What would be the difference between your suggestion and using the print screen button?

Im not sure if I can add images to the clip board? (guess I never tried)

Kronk
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I guess I dont understand?? What would be the difference between your suggestion and using the print screen button?

I was thinking that it could just copy the saber parts to the clipboard instead of the entire screen. I don't even know if that can be done, I'm just throwing out the idea. It makes no difference to me. I'm not the one that has to clean up after the 'abusers'. I was just brainstorming to make your life a little easier.

If it's a huge problem for you, why not get rid of the export function and post the instructions for copying the screen?

xl97
08-25-2008, 12:00 AM
because the export feature was requested, many times...

and posting instructions on how to do a screenshot wont make a difference, IMHO, since there is a NOTE saying please dont abuse the image export feature... ...so if they dont read that why would they read how to do a screen shot?

anyways.. copying to the clip board wont work.

I take all the objects (parts), which are individual, and group/nest them in a larger (parent) container..

I then go through that 'parent' clip pixel by pixel grabbing the info and sending it to a PHP script that then creates the image on the server. once complete it then promots the user with a "SAVE AS" window to save the image from the server locally.

so copying to the clipboard is 'out' unfortunately..

once I get some more free time.. I'll try working out the auto delete function (again)..

that should take care of the problem permanently..

Kronk
08-25-2008, 02:44 AM
Saying "Don't abuse the system" is not the same as telling people how to not abuse the system, but I digress. I was just throwing out an idea I thought might be usefull. Bummer that it can't be done.

xl97
08-25-2008, 08:14 AM
I can tell (sure sounds like) YOU havent read it yourself then..just by your response, since your saying 'dont abuse the system'..etc..etc

things like

PLEASE only creates images that fit your FINAL build

BONUS feature that takes up space & resources

Be curtious to the HOST of the application..

IMHO its pretty clear..... a button, blank images.. 1 emmiter..etc dont seem to follow that message.

not to mention it has been stated by myself, and many others "HOW" NOT TO ABUSE it..

Kronk
08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I have indeed read it, which is why I use the Print Screen method and made the suggestion in the first place. Obviously not a helpful suggestion, but without programming knowledge I couldn't have known that.

Forget I said anything.

xl97
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
oh.. I appreciate the suggestion of using print screen.. AND that you say you use it..

but this comment:

telling people how to not abuse the system

made it seem like you did NOT read it.. because, I 'thought' it was straight forward enough. Only use it for complete builds.. that match what you want for a final project.. play all youlike..but exporting images of 1 covertech button..or 1 bladeholder..or 1 thumbscrew is ridiculous....dont ya think? (not that YOURE doing..in general)

like I said..when I get some free time..I'll have to work on the auto delete again.. (hopefully I can get it to work this time)

Kronk
08-25-2008, 09:22 AM
I agree whole-heatedly. What I meant by that comment is that in that opening comment box you could simply suggest the print screen method in the text as an alternative to exporting. For the uninitiated looking at the GUI, the Save Build button with the floppy disk graphic would seem to indicate you can save your current work and open it up again later, like you would in an editing software. That's what I initially thought at least. Like if someone started building a saber they liked and wanted to tweak it later, or had an unexpected shutdown, they would have to rebuild the saber in the program. Not a huge deal if you know the parts, but some people may see it as a Save Progress feature.

Perhaps changing that button to say Export Build instead of Save Build would cut down on some of those single-piece saves you're talking about without doing any additional programming. Again, just a thought.

xl97
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
which is possible (saving your build progress).. I actually have that in the application that SaberBuilder is based of off... but that just takes up more room on my server as well :( lol

and as for chaning it to say save or export... I 'hope' noone needs to save 1 butotn and come back later to build off it...LOL

xl97
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
hello gang-

I am asking for a favor from 'SOME' of you,.. an that is to ABUSE saber builder. ;)

(bet you never though Id say that eh?)

To clarify, (I believe) I have successfully added an AUTO CLEAN-UP to the image export... and I want you guys to help me test it..

I dont want everyone to RUSH there and start saving a TON of images.. but I know there are 'some' who are subscribed to this thread and will get the notification.. if you do, and youre around.. please go save an image (or 2)..

IMHO I still dont think there is any reason to save images of 1 blade holder or 1 thumbscrew.. but Im hoping this will help keep the directory clean of all images after a certain time frame.

Im asking that you STOP abusing it on purpose at around 9:00 pm. (central time)

so I can check to see if the auto-clean is working correctly...and see if I need to adjust the time frame before it 'cleans house' ;)

www.saberbuilder.com

Thanks

xwingband
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM
This has been offline for a few days. Any idea when you'll open it again.

Donnovan Sunrider
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey Strydur, is there a way the builder can be worked into the main site/store? Then it won't be on a personal server and be subject to issues that arise as such. I know that I've gotten a lot of use out of it, and made my MHS purchase plans based on the builder results.

Darth_Ultious
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
This has been offline for a few days. Any idea when you'll open it again.

Yah, it's been down a few days now, anyone know when it'll be back up?

xl97
09-15-2008, 02:18 PM
www.saberbuilder.com is ON-line currently..

its only on-line to get some feedback on a new feature that is like 30% implemented..

I heard a few times about people/memebers/users NOT being abel to tell HOW the parts will fit together as there is no thread(s) on the renders.

1.) The part title/description links directly to the part IN the store.. jst an FYI for those that may have NOT known..

2.) I have added a "system/feature" that shoudl tell you HOW the parts 'fit'..
I have NOT restricted ow the parts will SNAP together (as I tink Tim once asked/requested) as I feel that really takes away form the customization of building..

HOWEVER, I have added the feature of when you roll-over a part.. there will be a PLUS or MINUS sign on each end of the part...

PLUS = MALE THREADS
MINUS = FEMALE THREADS

simple rule to rememebr is OPPOSITES ATTRACT...

this may help those who were sending Tim 'whacky' images of builds that wouldnt work..

and those who may have asked about it in this forum..or any other.. (and man there sure are alot of StarWars forums out there eh?...many urls/visits to SaberBuilder over the months)

anywho... I dont I'll keep it on-line long.. just enough to get some feedback (or not)..

Im not sure "I" care for it personally.. so I might make it an 'option' checkbox lik the lock parts and snap to features...

so please post feedback..

oh.. it is ONLY working for the HILTS & POMMELS (two small sections, not many options that I had time for)

As always if there are any other suggestions or features, post 'em.. gives me a goal to play with some code..

Thanks

update: ok..wow..

71 images/sabers built since posting this thread until now: 5:17pm.

and no feedback? LOL

Lord Preston
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I guess people are rushing to render their ideas.:)

Lord Maul
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I like it. I really like how you have it so it only shows the plus and minus signs when you hover over the part. That way it isn't totally distracting.

I vote for it ;)

Darth_DevilGuy
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I guess people are rushing to render their ideas.:)

I just did, but I didn't save the build, just print screened it, from what I saw it's not working on all parts, but the ones it's on are good, personally I don't need the feature as I'm smart enough to research the parts I want to use ahead of time, but that's just me, it's pretty unobtrusive so I don't think there's any real reason to make it a check box if it's more work.

Angelus Lupus
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Simple and effective. Maybe it could also popup if it's a custom part, so people know it's not going to be in the shop? Sorta like:
- (part picture) +
custom

Donnovan Sunrider
09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
It's good to see it back, even for a little while.

I like the part linking, that's very cool. Maybe a different color in the description to make it clear the stock MHS parts vs the custom ones?

I'm not sold on the +/- scheme, though it does seem to work pretty well.
How about this... On the parts with male threads, actually add the threads to the parts. Since the pieces layer over one another, the layering of the parts would cover the threads, and it would have the extra benefit of showing how far the threads go in so we can avoid placing switched and screws in them.

Ari-Jaq Xulden
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
it shows at currently offline for me for over a week now. could you look into this. sent you reply to last pm even followed link from pm still showing offline.

xl97
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
thanks for the feedback...

Maul- thanks.. Im thinking maybe on PRESS of thre part it should go away as well? (so its NOT there when dragging?)

DDG-

a check box 'shouldnt' be hard.. and Im thinkign it would/should be off by default... (again.. Im just not sure I like it very much... maybe it will grow on me?)

ALupus-
Unfortunately.. adding CUSTOM on rollover will NOT really work.. and heres why...and really why I went with the +/- signs.. (was going to use in/out arrows at first..but like the +/- better for looks) is because the user an rotate the part 90/180..etc.. and then the custom 'text' wold be upside down with that feature...
That is why I added the part description/title field so users would know what part and what type of part it is.. most link to part in the stors.. but some link to (for example) AoF's web page as he has a few real life parts he has made that are selectable in the SaberBuilder..

in the version Tim was going to get for his site.. it was only to have TCTSS parts only.. but this version has custom made parts/renders, and parts from other builders/memebers

I think the custom made renders REALLY add to the potential of not only custom work being purchased..but lets us really use our imaginations and make unique hilts.

DS-
the part linking is OLD news.. :) was posted with the other other features list when I made a thread on it.. part desc. linking, use of arrow keys to fine tune your part/movement..etc..

I can add 'threads' INSTEAD of a + sign.. if the community feels that would be better? (as the thread image would be 'universal' no mater how the part is rotated/flipped)

and then nothing for the female side? Is that what people would like to see/have? instead?

the beauty of this WHOLE application is that you dont need to know a LICK of programming or Flash...etc.. its all controlled by a text file..

the nav, the parts section,, the thumbnail image..the big part image, the link to that partin the store, the part description title/text...and now what side the male/female threads are on..left, right, both or none (like for a blade holder end)..

anyways.. hollar back and let me know what you guys think about the threads suggestion..

;)

xl97
09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
it shows at currently offline for me for over a week now. could you look into this. sent you reply to last pm even followed link from pm still showing offline.

sorry Im not sure what the problem is.. as you see others are having no problem getting there using the same link:

http://www.saberbuilder.com/

like I stated in my reply PM's it has been down/off-line..and only today was brought back on-line... (shortly)..

once I figure out a path to take with the 'thread tip' option.. I will finish that up as well.

take care

xl97
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
is there ANYONE besides ari-jaq xulden

that can NOT view/see/use www.saberbuilder.com right now? (since its back on-line?)

thanks

Lord Maul
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I think I like the + and - signs more than I'd like threads. The reason being is that I see needing to layer the threads so they are hidden as being a potential PITA.

Say you have a pommel, ribbed section, 7" hilt, a M/M connector, a 3" extension, and a emitter, in that order. After the fact you decide you want to have the 3" extension before the 7". That means a TON of clicking to get everything layered right. I just see it as being frustrating.

Donnovan Sunrider
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Nope, works just dandy.
Ari-jaq, have you tried clearing your browser cache?

Maul, yeah, I can see that. I bet it would be too tricky to code it so the male threads would always be under the female thread sections.

xl97
09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I think I like the + and - signs more than I'd like threads. The reason being is that I see needing to layer the threads so they are hidden as being a potential PITA.

Say you have a pommel, ribbed section, 7" hilt, a M/M connector, a 3" extension, and a emitter, in that order. After the fact you decide you want to have the 3" extension before the 7". That means a TON of clicking to get everything layered right. I just see it as being frustrating.

hmm.. I guess Im not following.. (surprise eh?) LOL

but think of the +/- signs just replaced with a different image.. (semi-transparent) threads...

maybe something like this (I only did a left side male thread here..but flipped for the right side)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/threadExample.jpg

and possible transparent..

works the same way the +/- does now? only there/visible on rollOver...

also when you CLICK on any part..it brings that part to the top most 'layer/index' of your build... thats how it works now.. just to re-iterate..

Mazarill Slay
09-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Looks good..

I didn't see do to the fact I didn't do anything custome but maybe have some form of tool to select parts and delete angles or make something shorter.. idk...

sekrogue1985
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
i keep getting and offline

Donnovan Sunrider
09-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I really like the idea of the threads being only there when you're dragging the parts. That would take care of the layering issues beautifully.

eastern57
09-15-2008, 07:03 PM
XL, I think the +/- idea is a good one, but with many programs that I use, the true purpuse may elude quite a few... Not saying that's a bad side-effect, but just not the intent.

My suggesting for both the server space issue and people not familiar with +/- is to have a mini-guide:

- for Save hilt, make a pop-up window that explains how to print screen, paste to paint, erase grid-lines etc.

- and maybe a "help" icon or a "how do these things fit together" icon... again, with a brief pop-up explanation on what the +/- means.

That would, at a minimum, inform the user of what's feasible and what's potentially a dumb idea...

Lastly, a lot of those custom pieces are fairly regularly seen in renders - I'm sure Tim can make all of those, but they're N/A for price... maybe you could add a blurb that says "please e-mail sales@thecustomsabershop.com for price quote"... or something to that effect.

again just ideas... brain-storming... :)

xl97
09-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi-

to recap

you will ONLY see the +/- on the HILTS & POMMELS for now.. no use in my doing a ton of work when it wont even be kept or used.. so its a partial implementation demo/example.

Eastern- save image is really no longer an issue, I made an update & post informaing everyone that I now have an auto clean-up script.. that will delete all images fomr the directory older than XX time (days/hours/minutes..whatever I set it to) ;)

as far as the +/- (if it got implemented that way) there would be a key/legend of some sort Im sure... however the suggestion was brought up of using 'threads' instead of +/- signs.. similar to what I posted in post#43.. thats why I asked if everyone would prefer that method instead.. as 'that' could be implemented instead I believe...

also not all the custom parts are available from TIM.. (some are just made up that dont even exist anywhere..just in renders/peoples minds) ;)... and some are made fomr other builds.. AoF comes to mind off hand..

Im thinking & hoping that the part being in the CUSTOM section alone means it needs to be custom ordered by whomever. ;) I also think I have a blurb/clause in there somewhere that states SaberBuilder is just for mock-up purposes..always contact your professional SaberBuilder before ordering any parts.. (or something to that effect) LOL..

I also put things like custom powder coating on regular MHS pieces (or 'fantasy pieces', as I'll call them..the eones that only exist as renders, never been made before) in the CUSTOM section to let them know its a CUSTOM deal and because I dont have a REAL image of anyone having those parts made in real life.

sekrogue1985- Im not surew what could be the problem.. as I and everyone else is being able to access it.. the only thing I can suggest is that its a CACHE issue on your end, which is NOT related to www.saberbuilder.com (sorry).. clear your cache and try it again.

so I guess to re-cap the feedback.. (which I totally appreciate..) ;)

1.) do we keep thre +/- to indicate the male/female thread types? or do we use actually 'threaded' images in place of the +/- signs? where a female threaded end would get NO type of image/sign? (potential to confuse a female threaded end with a part that has NO threads? like a blade holder?)..just throwing it out there for you guys to give feedback..

&

2.) do we keep the 'thread awareness/tip' system (whether +/- or threaded images) as an ON ROLLOVER feature? or do we ONLY see it when dragging?

if we do keep this 'thread awareness/tip' system (as Im refering to it now) :).. I think for sure I'll have an option to turn it on & off..

thanks guys..

keep up the talking out loud & suggestions.. its all good no matter if it gets implemented or not.. user feedback & interaction is always good for any development proccess..

update:

sorry didnt see/respond to Mazarill Slay's comments..

basically the application is subject to the premade 'parts/images' that we make and 'feed' into the app. so if you want something smaller/longer..different 'angle' make a render/image of it... (I posted a how-to and the base images you need to use) outside of rotating/flipping & now coloring the parts.. there isnt much that can/will be done as far it being a image editor.

thanks

LordMasoch
09-15-2008, 08:38 PM
To give you some feedback from a padawan builder here, I think for some the actual threads would be helpful. Especially fi you don't know how close together to get the parts in the image (thick black line? thin? Am I overlapping too much?), and as said before, it can help with placement of screws, clips, etc.

However, in what I've seen of the +/-, I like it. Though it would need some text possibly describing it (at first I thought it was an axis that it could rotate on when I added my center section :3 ) if you decide to fully implement it.

Also, the dis/enable checkbox would be a great idea.

Lord Maul
09-15-2008, 08:42 PM
hmm.. I guess Im not following.. (surprise eh?) LOL

but think of the +/- signs just replaced with a different image.. (semi-transparent) threads...

maybe something like this (I only did a left side male thread here..but flipped for the right side)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/threadExample.jpg

and possible transparent..

works the same way the +/- does now? only there/visible on rollOver...

also when you CLICK on any part..it brings that part to the top most 'layer/index' of your build... thats how it works now.. just to re-iterate..

If it works the same way as the +/- does it'd be fine. I was talking about if the threading was a solid part of the MHS piece, sort of like if the +s and -s were there all the time. If threads are only there when you hover over the part then I'm all for it.

xl97
09-15-2008, 09:39 PM
To give you some feedback from a padawan builder here, I think for some the actual threads would be helpful. Especially fi you don't know how close together to get the parts in the image (thick black line? thin? Am I overlapping too much?), and as said before, it can help with placement of screws, clips, etc.

However, in what I've seen of the +/-, I like it. Though it would need some text possibly describing it (at first I thought it was an axis that it could rotate on when I added my center section :3 ) if you decide to fully implement it.

Also, the dis/enable checkbox would be a great idea.

yeah Im not messing with the threads INSIDE of the part..as far how much/deep the threads go into the part.. I dont even know that.. nor if all parts are universally threaded internally to the same depth..

so that wont happen.. :)

maybe tomorrow if I get some time at work.. I'll swap out the +/- for the threaded image versions... see if this helps everyone out or at least gives everyone an idea on how the default parts should fit together.

xl97
09-16-2008, 05:42 AM
ok.. I dont think I ever got feedback... (since I'll be working on this today is work is slow)..

I will ONLY be showing an image for the MALE threads on a part... correct? If ther is FEMALE threads.. I wont be showing anything.. correct?

I had mentioned about any possible confusing between a FEMALE threads being there (and not shown) vs. a part that doesnt have any female threads, such as a blade holder?

thoughts? If people were confused and didnt research their parts.. will this also confuse them?

or give false positives on how they think things will fit? (ie: assume there is a female threads?)

Donnovan Sunrider
09-16-2008, 05:46 AM
I don't see an issue with having the threads. If you wanted to be doubly sure, you could have the +/- overlayed on the threads.

LordMasoch
09-16-2008, 06:50 AM
yeah Im not messing with the threads INSIDE of the part..as far how much/deep the threads go into the part.. I dont even know that.. nor if all parts are universally threaded internally to the same depth..

so that wont happen.. :)

maybe tomorrow if I get some time at work.. I'll swap out the +/- for the threaded image versions... see if this helps everyone out or at least gives everyone an idea on how the default parts should fit together.

Sorry, I meant the male threads. You know how deep they'll go by the length of the thread you make. :)

xl97
09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
ok.. I have updated www.saberbuilder.com to have a THREAD AWARENESS system/option..

AGAIN.. (and please read this)...

it is ONLY for the HILTS & POMMEL sections for now.. until we get somethign we all like.

so comments about how it doesnt work for every part..just make you look silly... capeesh? :)

If you select a part and it is has MALE threads (protruding) it will be shown while you rollover or are dragging this part once you let go.. they will NOT be visible.

origianlly I guess (sicne not many people responded) the female threads were just being ignored....

with that thinking, my stance was..then why do this at all..if we are just to expect or assume the user knows it has female threads, then we shoudl follow suit for the male threads.... (at least that was my train of thought) ;)

so I added the female threads as an OUTLINE overlaye to the ends of the parts tat have female thread ends (internal).. the ONLY draw back I can see if some user (for whatever reason) think the OUSIDE of the part is threaded.. (who knows.. I guess you expect anything) ;) LOL

I did this to basically eliminate the guess work.. as well as to NOT confuse a novice users that maybe a blade holder or a custom blade holder does NOT have female threads.. as it would have looked identical to a part that does have female threading.. (make sense?) LOL..

anyways..

Id like feedback on:
how it works?
how it looks?
any confusion?

maybe adding a arrow down the middle (same direction) of the thread images as well to help clarify?

maybe something like this.. if you think the current system isnt enough?

http://dmstudios.net/misc/arrowThread.jpg

anyways..let me know.. and I can work on finishing it up..and puting it back on-line.

p.s. remember to clear your cache.. its not a saberbuilder problem..its your browser if you cant 'get it to work' or are not seeing updates.

thanks

Angelus Lupus
09-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Just tried it out, and as far as I can tell it's clear and easy to use. Quickly lets you see where the threads are (say for positioning switches) but it doesn't get in ther way of designing your saber.

xl97
09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you for the feedback..

just for the record.. the thread image is NOT suposed to be 'legit' or be accurate as to how far the the threads go out/into a part. :)

but I appreciate the feedback... :)

Donnovan Sunrider
09-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm liking this new way of doing it. I think the threads make it pretty clear on directions, but perhaps the arrows aren't a bad idea.

It works perfectly for me though. Excellent work.

I think a later update could include the proper thread lengths, but I think your idea of using a standard is fine. I can see that being particularly useful on pieces like the choke point parts. Those seem to mess with new users to the program.

xl97
09-16-2008, 12:19 PM
are the threads length universal? same (protruding) male threads on all pieces? Sae for all female threads? I dont even know... and if they are.. I have no clue what the length would be...

Angelus Lupus
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Best person to ask on thread length would be Tim. But since all the parts are modular I think it's safe to assume it's the same for all of them.

Darth_DevilGuy
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM
are the threads length universal? same (protruding) male threads on all pieces? Sae for all female threads? I dont even know... and if they are.. I have no clue what the length would be...

I'm pretty sure they are, otherwise we'd be hearing from people who want to put the standard speaker setup in an impossible place and have to warn them.

xl97
09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
ok.. the LATEST version is available and ON-line.

(again only the threaded system/tips are enabled for the HILTS & POMMELS sections)

it is TURNED OFF by default..if you want/need/like it.. you can turn it on by the check box in the upper right hand corner..

you will also notice I added another check box to hide the Navigation, so you can see more of you are making a longer hilt or possibly even a double sided hilt if you wish.

unless I hear otherwise.. I'll probably go through all the parts.. (yuk) and update their part profile to include the male/female thread parameters..

if anyone finds any glitches PLEASE let me know..

they whole application become corrupt as well and damaged every .png.. so I had to rebuild form an older version.. and download all the part images fomr the live server again.. (what a FREAKING scare).. its backed-up now..LOL (darn flash drives) :(

anyways.. as always.. feedback,, feedback, feedback.. LOL

Donnovan Sunrider
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I love it! The ability to turn off the nav box is a great asset to making a larger hilt. I really dig the threads too. We need to throw some new people at the thing and have them tell you if it makes sense to them.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Looks good. That should eliminate any confusion. I like the fact that the threads are shown when you want them, then disappear. I really like the option to hide the Nav menu.

A couple of glitches for you. The hilt sections show the switch hole facing out, but when you click on the switches they appear in a profile view that can go on the top or bottom. (Hope I explained that right.)

Also, when you go to put one of the clamps on a hilt section, the snap-to function pulls it off center.

xl97
09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
I dont understand what you mean Obi-Dar?? can you explain? (again)..sorry.. :)

as far as the clamps.. yeah you have to do:

1.) turn of the snap-to feature.. like you do for the thumbscrew and various other parts..
or
2.) because when the part (big/main) image (render) was created.. I just cropped it out eliminating all white background... which gets the 'part' out fine.. however being that it is a clamp.. its not exactly an 'even' or symmetrically balanced image.. (if that makes sense).. all parts are aligned to their 'centers'.. so the clamps would need to have the same amount of (transparent) space on top as they do on the bottom.. (following?) LOL

it could be corrected with some image work..and then the snap-to feature wouldnt off-set it like it does.. or you can just turn if off to place it.

Id prefer to just edit the image (which would be the correct way IMHO).. but its a tedious task....and not something Ive really been looking forward to doing..LOL there are alot of images and its gets 'boring/tiresome' :(

Id like to go back and 're-do' all the covers/sleeves as well because if you notice (since they are sink tube based) that have that little lip on the ends (which I really hate) :(

if anyone wants to make some parts and submit them.. I appreciate the help..

just following the steps posted int he Interactive Saber Builder thread (page 12 I think).. using the gradient and backdrop.. :)

thanks

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Worked a double shift today. My brain hurts. Can't words make good.

I'll take another run at it tomorrow. :)

xl97
09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
LOL...ok

well let me know when you get some sleep and I'll try t ofix whatever the glitches are.

on a side note, there has been another update:

not really anything that will effect your interaction with it.. just an ABOUT CSB button/section..

that outlines a few things.. gives a link to a donation if your so much obliged to do so.. ;)

explains a summary of te application and what each option does and how it reacts.

Feedback or errors/bugs are always appreciated

thanks.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Feeling much better now. :)

They say a picture paints a thousand words.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/dar4jc/switches.png

When you select a hilt, the switch hole is facing you. When you choose the guarded switches, you can place them over the hole no problem. When you chose the other switches, you can only see them in profile and put them on the top of the hilt as I have done here.

I guess I am asking if you can either have pictures of the switches so that they face you, so they can go in the switch hole, or do a profile view of the hilts.

Know what I mean now?

xl97
09-19-2008, 09:41 AM
ahh..yes it makes sense now..LOL

Im not sure how to go about this though..

1.) I geuss someone can make some new switches in the correct facing manner.. but then we get into duplicates.. not many though so it may be acceptable IMHO..

2.) possible just take the switch off the hilts period.. <---- my choice..

since not everyone places them there, and it does pose a 'visual' problem if you dont use the default/supplied hole.

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
This Is my first time using this and i love it. its amazing.

I wish i had an app like this onmy ihone. so i can design on the go.

xl97
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
hahaha.. call and complain to Adobe.. I dont believe they support the flash player on the iPhone...do they?

(which is completely lame...and I believe there was a lawsuit about it, for mis-representation too)..

anywho.. I have a few apps I have written (weather & sports) that I was planning on porting to the mobile platform... doubt it will ever make it to an iPhone though.. I dont even own a MAC... LOL (nor would I...for the record) ;)

DarthZoloft21
09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
LOL i dont think they do. PC's are great the best:D, But Mac Runs XP pretty good also;)

xl97
09-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah.. I never understood why peopl ewould buy a MAC just to run XP? makes no sense.. just buy a PC.. unless they wanted to dual boot... there may be some apps on a MAC they just cant live without?

Still cant understand why MAC's are so expensive? they use the same hardware now..

so the OS is just that much more? LOL

Kal El Rah
09-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Viruses, a Mac has only 3 known viruses written against its OS, the PC has 10's of thousands written for its OS and there are always more written every day, but using a MAC to run XP will still get hacked(infested) just like a PC.

I used to work at a computer store when the Apple II, Kaypro, Epson, IBM XT/PC,Commodore 64 were just being introduced(all were still running DOS), shoot, I was assembling 10 Meg HDD for the Apple IIs.

Well anyway The PC has more apps that are not available for the MAC. There is no App. for programming the CFSC from plecterlabs for it, just for the PC for example.

just my .02 cents worth of useless information.

xl97
09-24-2008, 04:29 PM
SO you think people buy a MAC based just on how many virii there are for it?

(and then just put XP on it anyway?) LOL...

again, "I" dont just think MAC's are a viable option, at all.. lack of support, lack of software, cost to much....etc.. but anyways.. this thread is gettting off topic.. (SaberBuilder) ;) lol

Angelus Lupus
09-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm not gonna weigh in on the Mac vs PC thing, cos I've never used a Mac. I just wanna give kudos to xl97 for the use of the word virii :D

xl97
09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
LOL..thanks..

Darth_DevilGuy
09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Viruses, a Mac has only 3 known viruses written against its OS, the PC has 10's of thousands written for its OS and there are always more written every day, but using a MAC to run XP will still get hacked(infested) just like a PC.
having nothing worth stealing does not make you superior

LordBane21
09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
LOL i was just trying to say what mac can do. I will never own the D**M machine. If ppl dont like viruses then learn how to use a computer. and dont be stupid on the internet opening unknown emails and giving out info. thats why there PC's die. because of the person. Its like Guns dont kill ppl, ppl with guns kill ppl. but in this case PC' dont die, stupide ppl with pc's make it die.

but sorry it did get off sublect of the thread. sorry for that.