PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

Darth Cruor
08-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm planning on making a green K2 double-bladed saber. Would the below work?

12v power
2 green K2's
2 switches
1 1.5 ohm resistor

If not, could you please correct me? And include calculations too, please.

xwingband
08-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Is that one battery pack? or will you have two separate 6V packs?

If it's one you'll need a different resistor calculated for two LEDs in serial or parallel (I suggest serial).

If it's two you'll need two of the same resistors.

neophyl
08-24-2008, 07:46 AM
If he has 2 switches then id guess that each led is designed to be turned on independently, so you should just treat it as 2 so each led would need its own resistor to drop it from your power source.

All depends on what you are trying to acheive. You certainly dont need 12v for running 2x K2 leds even if in serial configuration.

Novastar
08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
For the really basic staff I had for BOP II (Necrolosis), I simply made two entirely separate circuits, and did 3.6v + tiny resistor + Lux III Red-O... twice.

Agreeing with Neophyl (and X-wing probably feels the same)... you do not need 12v by any stretch of the imagination. Not even 6v per LED--ESPECIALLY if you're going direct-drive/resistor-drive or whatever people want to call it.

Now if you had two CF in there... 6v per each setup WOULD be a pretty good choice (b/c driver takes some current, speaker, maybe you'd have indicator LEDs, motor, etc.). But I'm assuming that is not the case.

I would do the following:

3.6v Li-Ion cell + charge port + super tiny (or no) resistor + switch + LED/sink/optics/etc. (x2)

probably 0.5ohm resistor for the above if you used one.

Or...

4.5v (3AA Alkaline) + 1ohm res or 1.5ohm res + switch + LED, etc. (x2)

But... plenty of ways to do it.