PDA

View Full Version : Twisting Blade lock option

Kronk
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I apologize if this has been covered before, but my search didn't turn anything up.

I really don't like the idea of the 'blade lock screw' sticking out the side of my custom emitter. So I was thinking it would be neat to have a twisting blade lock inside the emitter. Basically it would work similar to a drill head, where when you twist it opens and closes a set of flanges that hold the blade in place.

Is this even possible, or just another pipe dream?

Jay-gon Jinn
08-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes, it's possible, I've seen it done by the machinist that did my custom saber, but it's very expensive.

annon
08-21-2008, 05:40 PM
If you don't like the screw sticking out you could use a "headless" allen head screw.

Kronk
08-21-2008, 05:49 PM
D'oh, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

jamesjeffh
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
With all the different screw types and finishes theres not ONE on gods green earth that you like ???
And yeah to have a twist lock system inside of a saber sounds VERY pricy.

Kronk
08-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Not with my custom emitter, no.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Dahveeds/Kronk_Saber_1.png

neophyl
08-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Ive got an older El sabre that is a replica of the ep1 Windu (the one that has alot of similarity with Mauls sabre) that has a twist lock for the blade.

Its essentially a plastic collet for the 3/4" blade with the emmitter being threaded that tightens down on the collet to grip the blade. Its VERY secure, but the only problem is that it can be too secure, making loosening it difficult. Afterall its the same mechanism my milling machine uses to grip its cutting bits and once locked in they dont come out without a spanner :)

Novastar
08-22-2008, 03:44 AM
Not with my custom emitter, no.You could use a recessed hex head screw with your custom emitter, and it could be made to be unseen by nearly anyone--unless you were closer than a single arm's length. And you would drill and tap it at about 45 degrees--like your emitter angles.

Otherwise... limiting yourself to 95% of the possibilities leaves you with the expensive remaining 5%.

Pretty much every one of the BOP I & II sabers had recessed blade retention screws. On some of them, I often cannot even REMEMBER nor FIND the bloody things, lol!! :) Then I inspect the saber closely, and it's like... oh YEAH!!--here! I forgot. :D

eastern57
08-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Not with my custom emitter, no.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Dahveeds/Kronk_Saber_1.png

I understand what you mean. I'm still wrestling with the issue on my franken-saber's custom BH. I'm dang-near concluding that it's pretty much inevitable that I'll have to blemish it's lines, so all I can do is minimize that as much as possible... and that's my best advice... the end.

xl97
08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
use a set screw and a 'hot topper' to fill in the 'hole. making it look flush..

hot topper is basically a onamental flat top piece that goes into the head of the screw...

they use them on motorcycles all the time.

Novastar
08-22-2008, 09:17 AM
And... everyone will have to forgive me for pretty much ignoring the "saber = shiny, perfect, pretty" kind of concept. This probably comes from treating my saber props as rough & tumble, beat 'em up staged combat toys that are MEANT to get wear & tear...

...but meant to be 98% indestructible too. :)

Blemishes? Of course.
Scratches? Certainly.
Dirt? Yup.
Grime? Yes indeedy.
Sweat? Probably!
Destroyed electronics? .... .... not so much anymore! Well, not since BOP I and very little of BOP II... :)

So... sorry about that guys!!! :(

eastern57
08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
LOL! True, I'm SURE you're "sorry", Novastar ;) I don't have pals to help beat them up for real... wish I did... guess that's why I have to weather them... I'm such a sneaky fraud ;) shhh

Novastar
08-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I hear ya. People to add to BOP III are scarce these days here in the bay area of CA.

But to play devil's advocate... I've always REEEEALLLY liked the idea of twist & lock saber blades... but the expense seems beyond the need.

I mean... it's tough to beat a super tiny recessed head hex screw. Has anyone seen Tim's 1.25" sink tube style LED mounts/blade holders? I thought so. SUUUUPER tiny blade screw. I love 'em.

Kronk
08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, once someone said 'recessed screw' I implemented the palm-face maneuver. Now it's totally obvious.

That said, I would still prefer a twist lock method. And since this is the New Tech forum I thought it was worth exploring. I have an idea in my noggin, but I'm not sure how it would work with the LED assembly. This is generally what I was thinking:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/Dahveeds/Twist_lock.png

I realized after I drew it that it's missing things like the lens and such. And you'll have to excuse my poor skills.

Using this method would allow you to use the male-male adapter that is already in the store, and instead making the emitter male threaded, you female thread it and machine the interior cavity so that it starts at about 1 1/4" and tapers to 1". Someone with molding skills and knowledge of plastics could mold the flange so that it fits inside the emitter cone, and as the emitter is screwed down on the m-m adapter the flange tightens down on the blade.

Granted, this is based on my so far limited knowledge on how lux sabers are put together, but it works in theory.

neophyl
08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
What you call a flange is basically a collet like I described.

http://www.dearmondtool.com/erimage/erbig.jpg
On mine it uses a version machined out of nylon instead of steel. But you can buy them seperately and they do them in a 25-26mm size that would hold a blade so you might be able to use a ready made part.

Donnovan Sunrider
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Whoa. That thing would make an awesome emitter.

valeon
09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Wow, great idea. Could design special MHS emitters that have those with them, so when you screw on the emitter over the lens holder it will tighten down, and be easy to remove the blade without any type of tools.

kinchar bamin
09-16-2008, 09:01 AM
weeeell i originally thought that it could be done by simply threading the blade and the inside of the pommel , better than carryin an allen wrench evrywer but i guess thats wat jedi pouches are 4, that and commlinks.but i spose thats no good if you want to battle with your saber, i really dont know, i not been on 4 like, a year