PDA

View Full Version : Controls on the 1000ma BuckPuck

ThreeQuadFive
08-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey...so there are two wires coming off my 1000ma buck puck (for control)...which I've read is for switches or POTS..

So....what kind of fun things can be done with it?
What happens if I hook up a momentary or latching switch to it?
What about strobing?

I'm just wondering if its possible to rig up a switch or something simple so that the LED 'strobes' (well more shimmering) and then a simple click of a switch to make it lock up or something...

xl97
08-21-2008, 01:04 PM
its called 'pulsing' I believe.. and its controlled by the LED driver.. which it doesnt sound you are using one.

you can get a Corbin Board (if available or a Plecter Lab Dimmer/Driver) I believe that have different pulse settings.. and a shimmer I believe.. but I cant say that for sure.

ThreeQuadFive
08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
its called 'pulsing' I believe.. and its controlled by the LED driver.. which it doesnt sound you are using one.

you can get a Corbin Board (if available or a Plecter Lab Dimmer/Driver) I believe that have different pulse settings.. and a shimmer I believe.. but I cant say that for sure.

Is there any other way to control that, e.g through resistors or some other means? Just curious as I don't mind going 'low budget' :)

Also, if I were to solder on a POT would it then be able to ramp up or down the intensity of the led? If so any warnings on ramping it up?

xl97
08-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I believe ther was just a post about adding a POT or something toa PUCK to manually get a ramp effect...

but usually the LED effects are controlled by a driver of some sort.

maybe wait form some one more knowledgable in the electronics area to answer??

xwingband
08-21-2008, 01:38 PM
It's outlined in the spec sheets? Does anyone do their "homework" anymore?

You can put a pot on there for dimming or a switch. Just a switch has been loads unreliable for most, but it does work. Primarily I believe it was meant for microcontrolling.

ThreeQuadFive
08-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Sorry xwing..I try to read as much as I can before posting questions :<