PDA

View Full Version : Adapting an existing blade holder for LED..need help!

ThreeQuadFive
08-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi all, I currently own one of the following blade sockets (which supposedly was made for LED/EL sabers)..

http://www.graflexshop.com/images/graf_1_01_lg.gif

I recently bought the following heatsink from TCSS:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/171_7108.jpg

So now..the big question is, how do you get the two to play nicely, lol.

Per a quick mock up of the LED setup it looks like at least the lens for the LED sits nicely against the blade socket adapter but doesn't have a way of really attaching the two. I'm thinking that I could pressure fit it some how, but not sure how.

I'm going to be using some plastic PVC piping that I picked up from Lowes Monday night, cut the end off after measuring how much stuck out with the blade socket adapter in place, and will be halfing the pipe to stick the electronics on to it. I though that I could have the heatsink and such at the very end of the pipe, and then shove it up the tube to the socket adapter and somehow hold that into place with a screw or something...how do you guys do it, lol.

Or does anyone have any suggestions? Hot glue everything into place? Solder it all into place? Beuler :)

Thanks guys!
I'm going to be soldering the electronics tonight when I get home. I'm really excited about this saber!

xwingband
08-20-2008, 07:38 AM
What is the diameter of the bottom portion? I would find a metal sleeve that could slide over it then use screws to attach the heatsink.

Have you checked to see if the graflex shop still has any of the heatsink assemblies left? That's one of their older blade holders that had a seperate LED heatsink attachment.

ThreeQuadFive
08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I emailed them and haven't heard back so I'm thinking no...that or it will be as expensive as just ordering one of their deluxe models, and since I already have everything else I really have no intention on spending any more $$ for it :)

I guess I'll have to make due with what I have. So I guess I just pressure fit it and put a little glue around the LED holder parts (no plans on ever swapping it out unless it dies).

ThreeQuadFive
08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm really starting to hate home depot and lowes..they don't carry squat anymore!

Loews doesn't carry nylon screws, HD does but the smallest they had was a 6-32 x 1/2''. I hope thats small enough to fit the heatsink...I'm stopping by Ace Hardware tonight and hope they have it. That and they have some switches. Thinking if I can get a decent sized momentary switch I'll grab that while I'm there and some quick connectors and wiring.

I was thinking of using the quick connectors mainly for the switch and possibly battery pack.

ThreeQuadFive
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Ok well, I hope the graflex shop responds soon..if not I think I'm gonna need to spend like 40 bucks again *SIGH* and that will be next month...

I got all the wiring done and hot damn it looks great! The blue led is nice and blue and it seems to be pretty damn bright...

The only problem is the heat snk dont fit to the graflex and I aint got a solution! That and I may have the wrong lens for the wrong darn lens...*sigh* Trying to get the site to let me login but its being a total pain in the ass! Need to check what I bought before!