PDA

View Full Version : How exactly DO I build a LED blade??

ThreeQuadFive
08-15-2008, 07:52 AM
I think the search engine hates me because I couldn't find a tutorial on building a LED blade.

How exactly do I build a LED blade? I assume for the most part its the same as the EL blade, minus the EL. But...
How do you guys build yours?

I have the 40'' long, 1'' thick polyc, and then the 40'' long diffuser tubing, and also the film somewhere from the shop.

What do I need to do to mount the diffuser tubing inside the main polyc? How do you guys do it?

I also have the tip somewhere..need to find that :D

amichaels
08-15-2008, 08:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken (so correct me if I'm misunderstanding, guys) most people take a slim dowel or something similar that will fit inside the tube and they wrap the diffuser around it to deliver it to the inside of the tube. There's no 'mounting' involved, just slide it in there and pull the dowel or whatever out.

ThreeQuadFive
08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Hmm...then how does the stuff all stay inside the blade and not fly out?

ThreeQuadFive
08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Or rattle around :)

Malaki Skywalker
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
1. Choose the diffuser you wish to use.
2. Cut the diffuser and blade down to the length you prefer e.g. 36"
3. Add a mirror or some sort of reflective material to the tip. Fix the tip into the blade using some glue, I use Cyanoacrylate.
4. Insert diffuser, if its a film diffuser, wrap it round a dowel rod and insert it into the blade

You have 2 diffusers in the store:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Blade-film-P197.aspx

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/40-LED-blade-diffuser--P156.aspx

You also have a choice of a 1" blade OR 3/4", 1" is better for brightness

Hope this helps (And I hope I have not buggered up lol ;))

Dark Navel
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Two words that you will learn to hate...static cling, well for the most part. When you roll the film onto the dowel make sure you are doing it on a clean table etc. because anything floating around in the air is going to stick to it... animal hair, dander, dust bunnies, bowling balls, airplanes...OK not the last 2 but you get my drift. Roll it over a 1/2" or so dowel and then cram it up the tube. The top of the saber, the blade tip will keep it from flying out the top and the bottom of the blade will be seated against the lens inside the saber and the rest is held via static cling.

ThreeQuadFive
08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys!

I'm ordering the Lux III kit with blue LED and BuckPuck :D

tinfoilhelmet
08-15-2008, 09:48 AM
you might want to put a drop of glue near the opening to tack the film to the blade too. sometimes you will have a problem of the film wanting to slip out sometimes when you remove yer blade from the saber.

Corbin_Das
08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi all
I've seen several different styles of blades through the years, from sanded tubes to fishing line wrapped inner tubes to diffuser tubes and various types of blade film. I would say that the majority of them use some sort of film nowadays, but not all.

The easiest way for you to assemble your components is to first make sure the tube is clean on the inside and whatever length you want it to be. Then attach a small circle of reflective tape to the bottom of the tip. Anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" around I'd say. Chromed tape works well (you can get it at many hobby stores).

Then glue the tip onto the tube. I like to have the glue I use put on the tube itself rather than the tip, then press the tube down onto the tip with the tip upside down on the table. Hold it firm for 30 seconds or so, depending on your glue.

Next slide the diffuser tube into the bottom of the polycarb. Make sure it's to the right length, which should let it slide up into the tube without any of it being longer than the polycarb. If you have 1/2-1" of space in the bottom of the blade, you could tape or even glue the diffuser tube in place, though I doubt you really need to. Remember, about 1.5" of your blade will be inside the hilt.

If you want to use the blade film instead of the diffuser tube, just make sure it's cut to the right length and roll it up onto a 1/2" wide dowel rod. Then slide the whole thing inside the polycarb as far as you can. When it bottoms out against the tip (or comes close), remove the dowel rod and insert your little finger into the base of the blade, if you need to straighten out the seam where the blade film is cut. This also insures the ends are nice and square.
I like to leave about 1" of space in the base of the blade without film. I then take a small piece of celophane tape and secure the bottom of the film against the inner wall of the polycarb.

Now, you could also use the film inside the diffuser tube, if you like. Some folks like the combination. It's a personal choice.

I hope this helps.

Corbin Das

GFORCE13
09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes to Master Corbin you must listen, but another thing I have been doing to secure the film on the open end of the Blade is buy some clear vinyl tubing and put a piece in there and leave just a 1/32-1/16" gap between the top of the tubing piece and the film this allows for expansion or movement. So you don't get the crinkled bunched after a while like when you glue it in.

LAN-ED-TUL
09-29-2008, 02:31 AM
i cut my diffuser tubes and film even with the bottom of the poly c and havent had a issue yet with them slipping out.

Novastar
09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I think Eandori made a video on doing it the "Plecter/X-wing/Do-Clo" or whatever way. The "gift-wrap" way + Corbin film? I don't know.

Anyhow, it's there.

I also wrote an extensive "gift-wrap" one on the NSCFCD. Just because it was easy, heheh.

xwingband
09-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I think Eandori made a video on doing it the "Plecter/X-wing/Do-Clo" or whatever way. The "gift-wrap" way + Corbin film? I don't know.

He made one which he titled "How to make an even luxeon blade". It was a corbin + PolyP mix. I call it "erv's", same as what Don is "branding", whatever...