PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to combinate LED-Strings and Luxeon???

Bert_one
08-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Hi!

I've made a few lightsabers some yeras ago, but without light effects.
Now I want to built a saber, which is MUCH bighter than an EL Saber.

I began to solder an 150 LED Strip like the one which Hyperdyne sells. My first Try is to use 5mm Cyan leds with a brightness of 14.000 mcd.

But I think, that this won't be enough ;-)
So I'm asing myself if it would be possible to combinate an 3 or 5 Watt Luxeon LED inside the hilt with the LED Strip inside the Blade....

What do you think?
Did anyone try it?

Thank you alot.
Nice greetings,
Markus

chaos
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
I haven't tried it but I don't think it would work.

The blades need to be empty for the light from the luxeon to go up it. The LED stip inside the blade would block most of the light going up it.

xwingband
08-15-2008, 03:28 PM
It would just serve to make the base flair. The LEDs in it would certainly block it and make it difficult.

Bert_one
08-16-2008, 01:04 AM
OK thats what I was apprehensived of...
But a strong Flare near the hilt would be look very cool!

Did anyone here any trys with selfmade LED strips?
Which LEDs are the best. I think the best was 5 Lumen, diffus LEDs with an angle of radiation of 120°...

what do you think?

Jay-gon Jinn
08-16-2008, 02:00 AM
OK thats what I was apprehensived of...
But a strong Flare near the hilt would be look very cool!

Did anyone here any trys with selfmade LED strips?
Which LEDs are the best. I think the best was 5 Lumen, diffus LEDs with an angle of radiation of 120°...

what do you think?

It's been done...do a search for 'makoto tsai led blade' and you should turn up something.

drakeion2
09-25-2009, 08:47 PM
yes i did that the problem with that is you wont be able too do battle with that casue it might brake a few of those led & then you would have too replace the one that broke its a pane to do ,,,i like too put a good lux3 so it got a good flare on the bothom & true the tube & no other led in the tube that way i can do fight without fear of breaking led

because 40 led in a tube make it easy to break

but it make a good flare depending of the led you use

$tarkiller
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Why would you want to have an LED ladder and an LED star in your saber?

Jedi-Loreen
10-09-2009, 05:25 PM
And why did you resurrect this year+ old thread? :confused: You didn't really add anything to the discussion that hasn't been pointed out in other threads since then. :roll:

Darth Lars
10-10-2009, 03:24 AM
I think the obvious answer to the question in the title is:

Yes, you can make a string of Luxeons, but the power requirements are going to be enormous. :p

DJMoonbass
10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
omg...

FenderBender
10-14-2009, 01:03 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/sigs%20and%20imgs/zombiegif.gif