PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound V2 video

xwingband
08-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Ripped from FX-sabers:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rTDMcD-8NXQ

Appears to be much improved. Bravo, I more than look forward to using this one compared to the first.

Darth_DevilGuy
08-14-2008, 06:47 PM
that's a pretty good demo, I like that it only requires a single mom switch to run all the controls, makes thing's simpler if you don't want extra switches on your hilt.

swear000
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
any idea on cost?

xwingband
08-14-2008, 07:20 PM
V1 was $80. This one will probably be the same or similar.

MaverickJsmith
08-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Oh wow, I'm sold I want one for sure.

I'll definately shelf out the money for one :mrgreen:

Maverick 8)

Malaki Skywalker
08-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm grabbing at least 2! :cool: Ultra and Yoda have truly out done themselves! :D

Darth Sorn
08-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Well now I know what i want in my saber but dose it come with a special switch or can you use one of your own? (haveing problems choseing what switch i want :()

Donnovan Sunrider
08-15-2008, 12:46 PM
If it's anything like the Crystal Focus board that Irv makes, it will be just a circuit board with instructions on where to solder the wires to it. It's left up to you to find the hardware to attach to the board and build the saber body.

It may have a specific range of current to look for, but it probably works with most momentary switched you'll find.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Well now I know what i want in my saber but dose it come with a special switch or can you use one of your own? (haveing problems choseing what switch i want :()

The only constraint on the switch is that it muct be momentary so you can scroll through the menu.

Darth Sorn
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Cool thx :D just looked at this miniature vandal resistant switch and it says its momentary action so at least i can use it, just need to work out how to put into my saber lol

sekrogue1985
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
As of now I can't afford to get it but I want it cause then the Mrs. will have sound in her saber. But yeah...

Novastar
08-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Yoda has been telling me about all these features for some time now, so... it was hard NOT to say anything. :)

But glad to hear it's finally coming together. :cool:

LeMoel
08-15-2008, 05:13 PM
i loved the first one Alot,havent even used my two yet

xwingband
08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Yoda has been telling me about all these features for some time now, so... it was hard NOT to say anything. :)

But glad to hear it's finally coming together. :cool:

I wish we could actually input into that though. :/ While it's much improved I think some things are still weird.

Like the purpose of making the motion based blaster effect and two-second hold off was to avoid the accidental presses as an issue. So in the revision... they add a press to lock-up? So now you can accidentally make it lock-up??? That's an odd trade-off.

Personally I'd forget the two-second off and make a hold the lock-up (like a CF). It's just more logical that you hold it and that a tap is on/off.

TD-2272
08-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Holly Moly I want one bad!!!!!!

Darth Vane
08-16-2008, 12:56 AM
I wish we could actually input into that though. :/ While it's much improved I think some things are still weird.

Like the purpose of making the motion based blaster effect and two-second hold off was to avoid the accidental presses as an issue. So in the revision... they add a press to lock-up? So now you can accidentally make it lock-up??? That's an odd trade-off.

Personally I'd forget the two-second off and make a hold the lock-up (like a CF). It's just more logical that you hold it and that a tap is on/off.

i agree but it realy all depends on were you put you switch to. like if you have at the very top of the hilt then yeah it could be a problem. but if you have it say in the middle or the bottom then its not realy an issue. expecialy like if you have a hilt thats say 13-14 inches. but to each is own.

i personaly like like the lock up feature along with how sensitive you want the swing to be, how much the blade pulses volume control, and the LED overdrive!

MaverickJsmith
08-16-2008, 01:46 AM
I do like how it works, I never really liked the idea of two buttons and (having held a CF powered saber in my hand finally) actually using a second button works, though feels odd.

I definately will hand out money for this one.

Maverick 8)

Malaki Skywalker
08-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Its far better then a MR board, with the bonus of many settings and being able to drive multiple LED's, it has me buying 8)

Barmic Rin
08-16-2008, 02:45 AM
WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Won't go into my personal saber as I love my CF too much, but I want to soup up some of my others....

I do like that board mount though..... Yoda makes them, huh?

CybKnight
08-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Yoda makes them, huh?

No, Ultrasound makes them, Yoda helped in the development.

xwingband
08-16-2008, 06:59 AM
No, Ultrasound makes them, Yoda helped in the development.

I think he's referring to the chassis system in the Graflex. That's what Yoda of FX-sabers makes. I hope that wasn't just charity on his part to make one. I don't make a whole saber just to check a parts functions...

Donnovan Sunrider
08-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Very nice work. :)

While I still want a CF for my personal saber, I'd be happy to get these for any gift sabers I have in mind.

Novastar
08-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Personally I'd forget the two-second off and make a hold the lock-up (like a CF). It's just more logical that you hold it and that a tap is on/off.Agreed, X... you're absolutely right--it's true that it probably would have been a LOT "more user-friendly" to go with:

* Power on = tap twice? (maybe just once?)
* Power off = tap twice? (maybe just once?)
* Lockup = HOLD button for a few secs
* Blaster = HOLD button + quick motion of saber... voila.

Also, it appears that the "anti-power off" is something like 3 seconds. I have to be honest--that would be irritating to me, as you CANNOT shut your saber off at a moment's notice without constantly thinking three seconds ahead to shut it down. It would ESPECIALLY not work for live performances. Although... who needs/uses a sound saber for live shows? :) Only me I guess, lol

BUT ALL THAT BEING SAID... at least the v2 US board DOES have marketable improvements... and HOPEFULLY it means it will come in stock for some of these folks who need it!

Finally, I think that was a GOOD idea to do the calibration settings... although it DOES somewhat "clutter" things up in the menu.

Mcich
08-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I have to admit the 2.0 is better looking than the 1.1, the lockup is a bit of a pain I got to admit, but the idea of how much the saber flickers, sensitivity etc. is a good idea.

one downside, my wife saw the vid, all I got was "I want one" bloody women! lol

SpectreT65
08-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Definitely a nice piece of work - beats the pants off any MR board, hands down. I never did like the thought of all the jerry-rigging involved in trying to get a Joe Jedi board in a saber. :D

strengthofrage
08-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Good demo. If the price is similar to the V1 then it will be a good 'middle of the road' sound option. I like it but I still prefer buttered toast ;)

Novastar
08-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Right. I think comparing CF to US is silly and quite apples to oranges.

Much like comparing a Hyperblade to a "Luxeon style" saber. It's just hard to get everything all "aligned". I might as well compare some eco-vehicle to owning a testarossa. They both have entirely different intentions AND costs. :)

Personally I say... bravo that the US v2 is a marketable improvement, albeit still not "perfect".

strengthofrage
08-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Barmic had the right idea, CF for his personal saber and US as a nice option for other projects. Hopefully with these new sound options Hasbro toys wont ever need to be used again lol.

DizzyKungFu
08-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Definitely seems interesting, but the momentary switch requirement is a bit of a sticky wicket for me. I have a DPDT latching switch connected to a sliding card on top of an activation box on my saber. Has anyone ever figured out a way to make a momentary switch work in a sliding activation box?

vortextwist
08-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I think its a far better improvement for 2.0. All the options are a little cluttersom but, still not as many as a CF, and some are turned off by all the options. me, I like then. Like it has been said, it's a bridging gap between the MR and CF. I'm definatlly getting 2 for sure, one for my Overlord and one extra, maybe several. lol Hopefully soon we'll be able to do some pre-orders.

Darth Sorn
08-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Not to be thick lol but you can buy a v2 and put it in your self, right?? Just I read something about sending in your saber to have it installed :confused:

vortextwist
08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Not to be thick lol but you can buy a v2 and put it in your self, right?? Just I read something about sending in your saber to have it installed :confused:
only if you opt for this as alot of people that have been waiting for the Overlord and UltraSound. I beleive you can buy them straight from Ultra and I think tim is goin to pre-order them or just sell them, not sure which.

vortextwist
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Definitely seems interesting, but the momentary switch requirement is a bit of a sticky wicket for me. I have a DPDT latching switch connected to a sliding card on top of an activation box on my saber. Has anyone ever figured out a way to make a momentary switch work in a sliding activation box?
all you would need is a little hump so when you slide it up it activates. don't they make a sliding momentary switch?

Novastar
08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
There is indeed such a thing as a sliding momentary.

The only reason that Ultra had to use this type of switch (no matter what)... is simply because there would be no way to do so much with one button--select options, cycle through menus, "look" for different ways it was used (held down, tapped quickly, double-tapped, etc.).

But yes, I suppose it is of note that since CF utilizes two switches... the on/off can be a switch of either way, with the aux button absolutely needing to be momentary.

Still... is it REALLY that hard to install a momentary in place of a latching? I say not.

Darth Sorn
08-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Cool thx Nova :D I put my name down with Tim a little while back not sure if i'll get one but i hope so, the are really cool :D

DizzyKungFu
08-26-2008, 08:18 AM
There is indeed such a thing as a sliding momentary.

The only reason that Ultra had to use this type of switch (no matter what)... is simply because there would be no way to do so much with one button--select options, cycle through menus, "look" for different ways it was used (held down, tapped quickly, double-tapped, etc.).

But yes, I suppose it is of note that since CF utilizes two switches... the on/off can be a switch of either way, with the aux button absolutely needing to be momentary.

Still... is it REALLY that hard to install a momentary in place of a latching? I say not.

Really? Any idea where I could pick up one of those sliding momentary switches?

Novastar
08-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Off the top of my head, no, but... most any momentary will do fine anyway. It doesn't need to be a slider.

Essentially, it would have a spring so that when you slide it up... it comes back down. You repeat to open/close the circuit.

Roy's Blues
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
There is an Ultrasound 2.0 interest thread up at FX-sabers.com

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13443.msg211394#msg211394

Specs http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13445.0

Tim will be carrying some here as well.
I would start an interest thread here, but I think that is something one of the mods here should do, as they would be able to maintain it properly.

eastern57
08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
... but I think that is something one of the mods here should do, as they would be able to maintain it properly....

'pffft... ha ha ha...

Jay-gon Jinn
08-30-2008, 02:38 PM
There are no mods here, Roy...just us chickens!;)

MaverickJsmith
08-31-2008, 12:00 AM
*clucks like a chicken*....Oh...right.

Maverick :shock:

Darth Sorn
08-31-2008, 04:28 AM
There is an Ultrasound 2.0 interest thread up at FX-sabers.com

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13443.msg211394#msg211394

Specs http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13445.0

Tim will be carrying some here as well.
I would start an interest thread here, but I think that is something one of the mods here should do, as they would be able to maintain it properly.

Well I just hope i'll be able to get one for sith saber, I want it to be perfect :)

Jay-gon Jinn
08-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Well I just hope i'll be able to get one for sith saber, I want it to be perfect :)

Just keep in mind that the sound font on this board is permanent and cannot be changed....so it will sound the same, no matter what saber you put it in.

Lord Maul
08-31-2008, 12:21 PM
You can change the sound to a certain degree with resonance though. I've got a Luke ROTJ board that sounds like a sith saber because of the chamber it's in.

Darth Sorn
08-31-2008, 12:50 PM
:o WOW Maul you read my mind I was just thinking about a speaker resonator
too lol, I'm just not sure what it could be made of.
Ah great minds think alike :)

eastern57
08-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I"ve foung ABS works the best... best at resonating that is. PVC and Polycarbonate kinda absord rather than amplify. so sayth my experience.

Lord Maul
08-31-2008, 01:10 PM
For mine I just used the straight up MPS system. Speaker mount and a #4 pommel made a Luke sound card sound sith.

vortextwist
09-01-2008, 07:03 AM
A longer resonance chamber will give you a deeper sounding sound. I don't have a holder for my speaker but I do have about 2" of space from the speaker to the end of the pommel.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-01-2008, 08:19 AM
A resonator chamber definitely makes a difference, I just forgot to add that......

And I've found that the 1 1/4" o.d. plastic (pvc) sink drain pipes work very well with the any of the 1.1" speakers out there for adding depth to the sound of the saber, no matter what board you're using. Another thing I've used is a 3/4" cpvc coupler....they have a stepped edge that the speakers sit in perfectly, making it easy to hot glue the speaker to the coupler.

Some where around there's a thread that was dedicated to resonance chambers...Any idea where that is Maul?

bubbalew
09-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Is this it?

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2539&highlight=RESONANCE+CHAMBER

Jay-gon Jinn
09-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Is this it?

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2539&highlight=RESONANCE+CHAMBER

Yup, that's the one.

Novastar
09-04-2008, 04:49 PM
For those interested... midnight appears to be the pre-order time.

Myself... I have WAAAAAY too many sabers to even THINK about something like this. And oy-gavalt, my pocketbook, it's like a driedel gone wrong or some kind of schlemiel with an empty schmuck!!!

Although it's mighty tempting... :)

Count Malik
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I have to get one of these! I have whated like a year or close to a year!:-P:D

Novastar
09-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Omigosh! $120?!?!? No speaker included??! And... dang, then there is plus shipping...

Ouch.

Well... I don't know what to say to that. I guess I'm glad I got seven of the MR-616s for like $200.

orakaa
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Sure $120 is a certain amount of money (plus shipping, speaker, etc.) but honestly, I find this quite affordable for what it offers.

CF is a dream, a fine piece of work but it has 2 main faults, its price (largely superior to the US 2.0, even if it is totally correct, given the time and work Erv spend on it) and its availability.
On my opinion, price has never been a problem regarding the CF, but availability is one.

The US 2.0 offers less more flexibility, but it fits perfectly in its range : between the CF and MR sound boards. It fits not only in terms of price but also in terms of functionnality (given what I've seen on videos). Plus it's gonna be more of a standard/factory-made soundboard

Darth_DevilGuy
09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Omigosh! $120?!?!? No speaker included??! And... dang, then there is plus shipping...

Ouch.

Well... I don't know what to say to that. I guess I'm glad I got seven of the MR-616s for like $200.

given what erv has said about the potential cost of having his board mass manufactured I'm not all that surprised by the US board's price, and with the ever declining buying power of my dollars I'm happy that there's a cheaper option.

at current the CF costs €115 which at this moment translates to $162.76 plus international shipping rates gets you something around $180

even with adding shipping and a speaker and not buying via the presale, the US is going to end up costing around $135 max, with the presale it's more like $115 or less, $45 isn't a huge difference, to me, but I could see where for some people it could be the difference between a saber with sound or without and with the pre-sale there's $65 difference, over 30% will make me pay attention.

Also I have to say that while I like a lot of the features that the CF offers over the US I'll probably never use more than half of them, at which point saving 40 bucks looks like a good deal to me and 60+ seems worthwhile.

Novastar
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Fair enough, although the fact that the Euro has gained on the dollar (or the dollar has been losing ground to the Euro)... is no one's fault.

But I absolutely agree... which is probably why I bought a bunch of the 616s a while ago. Price. :) Can't beat $30 each.

Also, it's a bummer if someone were to buy CF and *not* use all of its features. What a waste of such fun stuff! :) It'd be like... never using 5th or 6th gear on a sport car that actually had those gears... heheh

orakaa
09-05-2008, 09:17 PM
On top of that ($/€ comparison... although I'm french, so indeed, buying stuff in dollar with euro is quite interesting for me), even if the listing price is not that big between US 2.0 and CF... the low availability of the CF makes it become a lot more expensive.

I managed to get a CF 3.0 after 4 months of search... but have been obliged to pay it $280. I didn't know of the US 2.0 progress/availability, otherwise I may have waited a bit longer (not for the price problem, but CF 3.0 is quite bigger... and may result in having my hilt "unvoluntarily extended" because of space problem)

MaverickJsmith
09-06-2008, 04:19 AM
I've waited a long time for the US v2. I wondered, and waited. Then, I saw the demo video, and my jaw hit the floor. I saw everything I wanted in a saber sound board.

Novastar has a really good point. Why buy something you won't use to it's full potential? I've thought a lot about buying a CF, but I don't think I'd use all its features, I just don't need them. In the end (and in no way any offense intended to Erv), I'd just be wasting my money on something I'd only be using half of. And I think that would upset Erv.

Now, I'm not trying to put down Erv's baby. I held a CF powered saber (waves at Novastar) and it was pretty impressive.

Like all my comments on saber sound boards, I'll say this: No sound board is neccessarily as good as the other, or worse, for that matter. Worth lies in the individual, and thus cannot be judged by anyone else but them.

The US v2 looked like what I'm currently looking for, so, I bought one. Who knows, after I build my saber and have countless hours of fun, maybe the US v2 will make me think about something else.

Maverick