PDA

View Full Version : Lens holder dimensions

BeamRider
08-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Hello agian, and after a long period of procrastination I'm finally trying to get my butt in gear about this saber business, especially as haivng a Crystal focus sitting on my desk doing nothing is pointless.
Can anyone give me the dimensions for lens holders? I seem to recall Rebel optics were somewhat different but I can't for the life of me find anything specific about it. I eventually want to have a rebel setup but while i wait for them to become more readily available I'm settling for a luxIII.
As I understand it, star boards are 2cm in diameter, and about 1.5 in height, although the holder sits on the board so there's no need to add the heights together?
I'm being really meticulous about planning and drawing up some very amateurish schematics hence the need for dimensions, eventually I need to get some custom parts made somewhere, but expect my doodlings to appear sooner or later for some appraisal.

swear000
08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
who do you turn to for getting custom parts done? I got some bare metal tubes that I want to cut slits into but this particular metal has a nice finish that I don't want to mess up.

Novastar
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Swear, please keep things on-topic. Your question should be as an entirely separate thread in an appropriate area for the concept/subject.

As to optics dimensions, you can find them at lumileds.com or luxeonstar.com I believe.

However--instead of going through a bunch of scratch inventions and re-invent the wheel... why don't you use the parts that Tim offers here at TCSS?!? I can't speak highly enough about the blade holders (any kind/type), and this way, everything is done for you ahead of time.

Most especially on the 1.25" blade holders... you see, with these, the heatsink can slide deeper into the holder/mount if the optics are shorter that the standard ones it was meant for. Therefore, if the "new" optics for a Rebel (or whatever LED) are shorter... you should still be able to use the part!

Again: I cannot speak highly enough about Tim's 1.25" blade holders. They kill like 5 birds with one stone.

So... unless you have lots of machining experience... your own uber-lathe, tons of extra time, access to raw aluminum and all sorts of other materials... what is the point in re-inventing the wheel?

swear000
08-14-2008, 03:45 AM
eventually I need to get some custom parts made somewhere, but expect my doodlings to appear sooner or later for some appraisal.

This is just what I saw that caught my attention.

Novastar
08-14-2008, 03:55 AM
On that note... TIM does custom machining of parts. True, he may have to tell someone "no", but... it can't hurt to ask.

As a matter of note, I'm having him do a small "retrofit" to an old part so that it matches into an MHS set of parts.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
On that note... TIM does custom machining of parts. True, he may have to tell someone "no", but... it can't hurt to ask.

Actually, I think it is only fair to ask him FIRST since this forum is attached to his store....

BeamRider
08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.
As for my personal choice not to use TCSS parts, it's down to a matter of the design shape and also me trying to slim down the hilt diameter due to having small hands, even if it is only a minimal difference.

As for custom parts, that's something I need to look into as well, although since I live in England, it's likely that I'll try to find someone here.