PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Optics

psab keel
08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has tried any Elliptical style Optics on a Luxeon Saber. While it does help to have a narrow beam pattern, there might be something to having more edge illumination. I'm tempted to buy one from here, but given that the optic only costs $1 and change + a ridiculous amount to ship, I'm not sure I want to spend the money just to test a theory.

http://www.luxeonstar.com/l2-oval-beam-520%C2%B0-oval-lens-for-luxeon-leds-p-316.php

What do you all think?

Psab

Novastar
08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi Psab... I saw those only recently but didn't think much of them.

However--just recently, someone was asking me about making some kind of "sword". Not a lightsaber--more of a lit sword. My guess is... THIS might be perfect for such things.

I don't know though... you're right--is it worth the test if you're not a rich man? I don't know.

If I try making an "LED Sword"... I'll probably try it out. :)

psab keel
08-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey Novastar,

Well curiosity did get the better of me and I found one of these lenses at ledsupply for a much better price. It's shipping from Vermont from what I can tell and since I'm in Connecticut it probably should be long before it arrives.

I'll be doing some tests and I'll definitely be posting my findings. Like I said, it's probably not going to get good results, but part of the fun of developing new saber designs is in the testing!

I'll post pics and results when I get the lens.

Psab

Novastar
08-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Awesome Psab! And ya know... don't curse it til it arrives, heheheh

I personally think that if we were able to try some kind of "poly-carb sword blade"... maybe two thin halves? I don't know... ... then add diffuser film--it would be pretty interesting.

The real trick is: where the heck would we get a clear (and HOLLOW) sword blade?? And even if so... would it able to duel? Hmm. Maybe just for show.

---> looking forward to seeing what you come up with... since you were one of the first innovators on blade film in the first place!!!!! :D

psab keel
08-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Well,

I got my Elliptical Lens a few minutes ago and did a real quick test. Nothing worth posting here really. I just stuffed the Lens down the blade holder of one of my sabers to test it and it yielded some not so impressive results. Granted it wasn't properly indexed onto the LED, but it doesn't look too promising.

Oh well. For only $6.50, it was worth trying. Now I know.

swear000
08-14-2008, 06:27 PM
nothing ventured...nothing gained

Kal El Rah
08-14-2008, 07:15 PM
You also have to realize that it was not made for a single(in the middle LED) and as you said it really wasn't where it is supposed to be mounted, so, well the results aren't conclusive.

psab keel
08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I just tested this optic properly this afternoon and the results were not all that good.

It was a fun little experiment though!

Kal El Rah
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
O well, thanks for the update.