PDA

View Full Version : *Attention Machinists!!!*

TheHalcylon
08-11-2008, 06:38 PM
So here it is... my saber. I'm really interested in what you all think is possible based off of what is available on the site and what has to be made custom. I'm open to any interpretation on this and am willing to do whatever to make this a reality.

I don't expect this to be cheap, but I am looking to make this. Please reply with your advice or PM me with ideas. Feel free to contact me via email as well.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Halcylon/HalcylonHilt.jpg

sekrogue1985
08-11-2008, 06:55 PM
So here it is... my saber. I'm really interested in what you all think is possible based off of what is available on the site and what has to be made custom. I'm open to any interpretation on this and am willing to do whatever to make this a reality.

I don't expect this to be cheap, but I am looking to make this. Please reply with your advice or PM me with ideas. Feel free to contact me via email as well.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Halcylon/HalcylonHilt.jpg

(I*&)(* man that looks well interesting...yeah sorry laughing at something the Mrs just said about it but we'll ignore that. But yeah I don't know where to start but it looks pretty damn Sweet!

Jay-gon Jinn
08-11-2008, 06:57 PM
That's a very intricate design you have there, and it should look really good if you get it done. BTW, did you know these forums are attached to store owned by a machinist? ;)

TheHalcylon
08-11-2008, 07:17 PM
That's a very intricate design you have there, and it should look really good if you get it done. BTW, did you know these forums are attached to store owned by a machinist? ;)Yes, I just assumed there'd be some outside influences...

annon
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
that's a cool saber, but you might want to change the pommel...unless you are going for that....um...ah..."manly look";)

TheHalcylon
08-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Hardy har har... Yeah... I saw that after I posted it. I may square off the base pomel and go for a more traditional emitter.

xwingband
08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
The angles in the main metal are really going to make it a pain. If you change the angles to 90 degrees it's much more doable. It'd then be a lot of layering of outer tubes.

I hope I can describe this because I don't have the time to illustrate it now.

1) a main tube
2) Inner black grips will slide in main tube and be exposed. I would secure this with set screws hidden under shrouds
3) Main shroud closer to emitter
4) Secondary shrouds I see as pommel caps

Jedi-Loreen
08-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Why didn't you use English? Not everyone here is such a geek that they have Aurabesh memorized. :roll:

gundamaniac
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
very nice design, this will be a very nice saber when done. Have you been talking with Tim to see what's possible outta his shop?

LeMoel
08-12-2008, 01:25 AM
i think it could be done through the custom saber shop,but your going to need some custom parts done by either Tim or an outside custom parts maker,then you can probly get it pretty close with some MHS parts

swear000
08-12-2008, 01:50 AM
It would be interesting to find out how many ladies would appreciate the anatomical design characteristics of such a manly hilt. Joking aside, I can see how it is very mace windu style inspired. I can almost envision a power level indicator near those gold buttons.

Hasid Lafre
08-12-2008, 04:48 AM
With loreen I agree....for once.

Arm on Fire
08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
I think it a good concept drawing, and like all concepts ,a few things would have to be changed for it to be practical to machine, but it could be done. it would be a lot of custom work = big $$$ .I think Xwing is on the right path for its construction. :)

ArkaiHalon
08-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Why didn't you use English? Not everyone here is such a geek that they have Aurabesh memorized. :roll:

Probably because it looks cool for the graphic.

and some of us do have aurabesh memorized.

Blade Length Adjust, Blade power adjust are the two gold knobs,
the silver knob is the belt clip, the red switch is the activation plate.

My name is Arkai, and i'm a geek that can read Aurabesh

jamesjeffh
08-12-2008, 06:20 AM
With the right equipment that saber can be made exactly as is.But thats not exactly the kind of job that somebody can do with just a bench lathe in the garage kind of job you need to save up and take that to somebody with a cnc machine and get it done right with no compromises.Just get ready for a shocker when you hear the price though

Darth Leximus
08-12-2008, 06:37 AM
LOL, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who saw the um...overtones of this saber design. That said and all joking aside. This is one of best friends who wants this done. I told him to post this here just to see if anyone had any ideas we hadn't already thought of to make this a reality. I'm pretty sure he is gonna change the emitter to lose a little of the manliness of this design, but still retain most of the original design.

I had already mentioned maybe doing a custom emitter and pommel with the black grip section being a custom milled MHS hilt with multiple layered sinktube overlays. I think that's the direction we'll head in first.

I just wanted him to get some ideas before we start contacting machinists one on one.

TheHalcylon
08-13-2008, 09:14 AM
My mistake.

Brackley
08-13-2008, 01:57 PM
THis is going to sound crazy, and I think I've only realised it because I had a similar idea a while ago, but the hilt looks like it was vaguely inspired by the handle of a Gilette Mach 3. Looks great, and you can say it's the best a Jedi can get. :D

What I'd suggest for the pommel (if you are thinking about changing it) is having about half an inch around raised up (like on the emitter end but straight around instead of curved) then have it come back down to normal size for a rounded pommel end. :)

tinfoilhelmet
08-14-2008, 12:43 AM
you might get "The Talk" if yer mom finds this in your nightstand drawer.

Jedi-Loreen
08-14-2008, 04:09 AM
It'll probably be a stranger talk, being a guy, than if you were a girl. :rolleyes:

JudgeKane
08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
EDIT: I feel bad now, it will make for a cool looking saber, and at least your trying something outside the box, mines all off the shelf parts so my hat is off to you :-) and good luck

Brackley
08-14-2008, 11:36 AM
you might get "The Talk" if yer mom finds this in your nightstand drawer.

Thank goodness Lucas stuck with the Graflex idea when doing the original Star Wars.

Obi-Wan: "Your father wanted you to have this...when you were old enough..."

*Seconds later, half the audience leaves in disgust and bewilderment* :D

xwingband
08-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I think we get the idea by now. Many would argue all lightsabers are phallic symbols... *rolls eyes*

Brackley
08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
But I've not even got to the Wookiee-stroking joke yet :(

Sorry, I'll shut up now :p

Jonitus
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Honestly, I don't see where there was ever cause to make all the penis jokes about the lightsaber. Sorry, don't see it. Maybe it's because I actually have ***...with someone other than myself...regularly...but lightsabers don't look like phallus to me.

The maturity of the forum hit an all-time low with this thread.

Darth Leximus
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I know I made a comment about it in an earlier post, but this really has got out of hand.

I told my buddy to post this concept up here because I thought that if there was any group of people who could get this made into reality it would be the members of this forum. I know I've learned alot in a really short amount of time and it's all thanks to the wealth of knowledge here. IMO it really sucks that my good friends first experience with the forum is having his design ridiculed and even though there were compliments given, there were far more jokes made.

I could see if this was in the Misc. thread, but I mean the title of the thread is ATTENTION MACHINISTS so lets get back on topic and see if there is any constructive criticism that can be offered to help make this real.

swear000
08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Palpatine: "I know you would." [closes eyes] "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger."

are you going to machine the whole piece? It looks like the center section could be done with 3 sink tubes, a couple of gold knobs, a red rocker switch, polywashers or vinyl for the inside grip, and some sort of glass eye. The pommel and shroud would then have to be machined because they are oblique.

Jonitus
08-14-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking that some creative Dremel work on the outer two layers of shrouds could give essentially the look of the saber with a minimum of machining required.

Onli-Won Kanomi
08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think this is a ridiculous design at all but rather an innovative one. Yes at first glance an obvious joke can be made but I'm sure that H.R. Giger got the same kind of jokes in 79 when people first saw the "Alien" head...and Giger is a great artist...so your friend is in good company taking a more 'organic [no pun intended] approach to saber design...who says sabers all have to have sharply defined geometric shapes anyway?

Yes the ones we see most onscreen tend to be round cylinders with angular accents and greebles but most of those are human sabers and human ships and other technology in SW are mostly angular too.

But look at "Home One" and the other Mon Calamari cruisers...those are all about rounded and flowing lines...obviously reflecting a different far more organic Calamari aesthetic than that of the humanocentric Empire.

I look at this saber and think it looks a lot like something a Calamari Jedi might carry...and to him/her the overtones that we humans see at first glance might not even register in mind.

Its a beautiful and original design and that is to be applauded not ridiculed imo...I hope you can find a way to make it reality.

annon
08-14-2008, 03:50 PM
OK, I think I'm the one who started the jokes, It was not my intent to make fun of you though. I was really just trying to find a PG way of saying what I saw, and keep it light. I thought it would be worse for you to build it then have someone say what I did. However, I did mean it when I said I thought it was a cool saber.

I apologize for what I said and for were things went. We shouldn't make fun of you.

I'm sorry.

tinfoilhelmet
08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
yes...mean spirit was not my intention.

DarthFender
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Probably because it looks cool for the graphic.

and some of us do have aurabesh memorized.

Blade Length Adjust, Blade power adjust are the two gold knobs,
the silver knob is the belt clip, the red switch is the activation plate.

My name is Arkai, and i'm a geek that can read Aurabesh

Hi! Arkai, welcome to your first GA Meeting. No, not gamblers anonymous. Geeks Anonymous.

I'm Fender and I know how to use a slide rule. But, I have been calculus free for 1 year today.

Hal, that saber is awesome. don't let anyone tell you different. I think it fit's the entire Dark Side theme that was set up in the original film. Nobody makes fun of Vaders Helmet. or event the Storm troopers helmets. Besides, Lightsabers are supposed to be a little phalic. That's why girls envy them. LoL

JudgeKane
08-15-2008, 06:56 AM
I feel bad now, it will make for a cool looking saber, and at least your trying something outside the box, mines all off the shelf parts so my hat is off to you and good luck

sorry:(

Darth Leximus
08-15-2008, 08:34 AM
I appreciate everyone getting this thread back on track. I don't want to think that we can't take a joke, but that was all that was being talked about. Honestly the first thing I said to Hal was "you do realize that looks vaguely like a penis right?" we laughed, but agreed over all that the design was unique and well worth doing.

Great point btw about Vader's helm and the Tk's...maybe we should all be writing lucas about his phallic obsession?? that's another thread all together!!

Just to clarify Hal and I will be building this together, but it is for him. I have another design that is going to be signifigantly harder to make real, but equally as awesome!

So here's what I'm thinking...

Custom modified BH #12 with the edges ground into soft curves instead of hard angles

Custom milled Hilt section powder coated flat black

Multiple sinktube layers

The pommel is where I'm kinda stuck, it's my favorite part of it and I know Hal likes it alot so we'd like to get it as close as possible. As for the bits and bobs that will be the easy part as far as I'm concerned.

Jonitus
08-15-2008, 09:12 AM
If I may, let me make a couple suggestions that could potentially help you out to make the saber look closer to the photo:

Base the main body off of a 1.25" sinktube. It will fit INSIDE the MHS to sinktube adapter, and will still allow you to use MHS parts for the blade holder and pommel. You would also have room for the black grips to have enough visual weight like in the photograph.

Then, your main shroud could be made from 1.5" sinktube and the outtermost layer made from the sleeve part of 1.5" sinktube (1.5" ID for this piece). You would have attachment points for everything on the saber without the need to glue stuff or any other kind of makeshift fastening.

It will be a trick to put it all together...kind of like a puzzle.

Darth Leximus
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah that's gonna be the interesting part, making this thing fairly accurate to the photo, and stil able to be taken apart to get to the innards. We will more than likely through in some rechargeables with a recharge port and hopefully either a CF 4.0 if we are so lucky, or Kalel's board if those get done, or now maybe the S.T.E.V.E. 2.0 if those come out in a large enough quanity. So hopefully the internals won't need to be messed with too much.

JudgeKane
08-15-2008, 12:25 PM
For the pommel you could ask tim to have a go at knocking one up, with the threads female and recessed and male threads on the base of the hilt....

Not a great render but the threads in the red section?

Darth Leximus
08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Nice, thank you for that. Couldn't hurt to ask right

DDanDevious
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
I just now checked this thread out and I gotta say that design is awesome.

hoping to see this design become a reality. Then Id like to purchase one when you do. Hahaha

DDD

Drichar Deis
08-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Love it! I think a red blade would be better, but maybe im just biased!

gundamaniac
08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
For the pommel, I'd say take a TCSS pommel and ask Tim to machine a sleeve that can go over a standard TCSS pommel. IE, take a standard pommel, make a sleeve that can fit over it (so you can have that nice curved overlay look BUT keep the threads of the TCSS pommel that allow you to screw it together).

For a visual, kind of like this, but with the overlay on the pommel end:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/DarthVaedr/Obi%20Wan%20Tribute/IMG_1434Small.jpg
The endcap on the top one comes off like this:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/DarthVaedr/Obi%20Wan%20Tribute/IMG_1435Small.jpg

You can sort of see a bit of "shroud" hanging out. The idea I'm proposing is similar but with the sleeve/shroud thing on the pommel end.