PDA

View Full Version : Camp Quality 08-08-2008

Wolverine
08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
(In The words of the Event Co-ordinator Phyllis Schulte)

Camp Quality is an International organization dedicated to give children under 18 a chance to go to camp for a week and just be a kid....not a kid with cancer.

The Midwest Garrison was contacted over a year ago to come out to Camp Quality in Frankfort IL to help entertain the kids on their last day of camp 2008. In that year I have learned a lot about Camp Quality, and learned a lot more yesterday. We were contacted by John Allen from the Romeoville Police Department (veteran Camp Quality Volunteer) and he heard about our group from one of the managers at a Brunswick Fun Zone that we had done a child's party at. The manager was blown away by the response to us at the Fun Zone and said she would always remember our appearance there.

(I am The Stormtrooper with no Paulron)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/Camp%20Quality%202008/Camp-Q-2008_10.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/Camp%20Quality%202008/Camp-Q-2008_03.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/Camp%20Quality%202008/Camp-Q-2008_16.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/Camp%20Quality%202008/Camp-Q-2008_23.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/Camp%20Quality%202008/Camp-Q-2008_40.jpg

Photobucket Link=http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/Camp%20Quality%202008/

Donnovan Sunrider
08-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Wow, that is just the coolest thing ever.

Damn fine work sir. That's something that will stay with those kids forever.

swear000
08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
You know, I grew up with a lot of people criticizing people who paraded around in Star Wars costumes as geeks and other not so popular names. It is so sad that society doesn't recognize you as the heroes that you truly are. The heroes with the biggest hearts and most love to give. I think you guys are the greatest people in the world for sharing your time and your talents with those in needs. I sincerely hope that God blesses all of your lives with the abundance and joy that you deserve.

Zurath Kodul
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I almost trooped this, but the guy I carpool with to events couldn't make it :(

Glad to see there was a good turnout :)

Jay-gon Jinn
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I need to get down there to troop with you guys sometime! Looks like a good time was had by all!

DaJoQuim
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
wow there's evil in the air lol!!Great costumes!!

Darth Leximus
08-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I need to get a costume together and get in the 501st already!! It kills me seein you guys so close to my house and not bein there. Plus this is such a great cause! It's awesome to see geekdom out there doing good works!

Novastar
08-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Great job Darth Raizarr... I bet a lot of kids' imaginations opened up like crazy!

This was (and still is) the kind of environment I always wanted to perform the BOP shows at, but alas--the SF/local 501st "big shots" never took to us very kindly. Although as I've always said, I met some really awesome people like Scott and his wife Pam (I actually have been "coaching" her online since she asked my help in making a saber), and others like Eva Vanacek (Cheri Chanel's mother).

But who knows... maybe someday I'll be able to set up some kind of thing where it all works out. :)

Again, great stuff!!! Always good to see people giving back. That is what it is all about in my opinion.

Zurath Kodul
08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I need to get a costume together and get in the 501st already!! It kills me seein you guys so close to my house and not bein there. Plus this is such a great cause! It's awesome to see geekdom out there doing good works!

Join the Rebellion. Jedi costumes are 10x easier to assemble than a stormtrooper or Vader

tazrob
08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Join the Rebellion. Jedi costumes are 10x easier to assemble than a stormtrooper or Vader

That is a recruiting pitch if I have ever heard one lol.

Awesome troop Bro, these are the types of troops I love to go on as much as possible and the main reason I joined the 501st.

Zurath Kodul
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
That is a recruiting pitch if I have ever heard one lol.

Guilty :rolleyes:

Novastar
08-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I won't de-rail the topic any further except to say... I tried to post some info on RL some months ago. It was met with such hidden vitirol and political mumbo-jumbo... there was no reason for me to stick around. This was from some of the "head" folks in the local S.F. area who are ALSO involved with the 501st.

Anyhow, to get this back on topic... the GOOD thing is--that everyone out there should not let OTHERS stop them from giving back and contributing to their communities... even if they do so in their own way and on their own creative terms.

I for one do not care *HOW* people give back to children, the community, the world... only that they DO. :)

Thanks again Darth Raizarr!! The more events and photos of SW stuff + children = ROCK ON!!! :)

Wolverine
08-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks EVERYONE for your kind words!

This stuff is the very reason I got in the 501st to begin with, when I first joined, I was met with some REAL live pricks in the organization, but you can't let these EGO boys get you down, and ruin it for you, look at the big picture, These are some awesome people, some give EVERY once of themselves to this, and that is what won my respect for the 501st!

Please stop by the WGN thread, it's not to the scale of Camp quality, but it's notable too.
To think some inner city kids never have even seen a farm animal, let alone touch one.
and have to rely on a fair for school supplies, somethings I myself took for granted.

Jedi-Loreen
08-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Very cool. This is what the 2 costuming organizations are all about, for a lot of us. Giving back to the community and making kids smile. :D

I know Phyllis from the RL boards. I haven't met her yet, but I still consider her a friend. Was she the one doing Rebel Fleet Trooper? That kind of looks like her hair. lol I know she also has TK armor.

Wolverine
08-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey Loreen!

Yes that's Phyllis in the Rebel fleet trooper, that was in the early evening, and yes she has a TK also, we had a MEGA early start the same day at 5am at WGN, she is the TK next to me, and I am Vader for that event, two events in one day, and then I had a wedding to go to afterwards.....Dang LONG day!

Darth Leximus
08-12-2008, 07:29 AM

I'll never give in to the power of the light side!!! Dark side FTW!!!

sekrogue1985
08-12-2008, 08:25 AM

ummmmmmm yeah... not gonna lie dude but have you ever done a vader suit do you know how cool it feels to wear one of those things. I mean jedi suits are fun and all and you can customize them but come on. YOur in a vader suit for pete's sakes. I have a jedi costume myself cause but hell if i ever join any jedi order I'll stick with my laid back veiw of the force...however...eat mor chikin!

Mcich
08-12-2008, 10:22 AM
it's nice to see people out there helping to give these kids a good time, I bet there were alot of dreams come true that day ^_^

oh jus a lil off topic, Nova I know Pam and Scott too, I'm on Pam's simm, lol

she mentioned something someday about one of your group backflipping so much he almost backflipped through her fence or something? lol

Wolverine
08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
... not gonna lie dude but have you ever done a vader suit do you know how cool it feels to wear one of those things. I mean jedi suits are fun and all and you can customize them but come on. YOur in a vader suit for pete's sakes.

That's true, the Face characters get all the attention Especially Vader, I was Vader that morning at WGN

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/WGN%202008/WGN09.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/WGN%202008/WGN16.jpg

But getting the attention is not what it's all about, I was very happy NOT to get the attention at Camp Q.
One of our other troopers brought an extra Stormtrooper bucket, and blaster with, So the kids would take turns with the blaster, and helmet, posing for pictures, as all of us TKs gathered around the kid getting his picture taken, like he was one of us.
They get a nice picture they can look at fondly, and remember their experiences that day, maybe helping to take their minds off the bigger issues in their lives.

You can't replace the feeling you get from seeing their faces as they take that bucket off, and they see they are surrounded by TKs in their picture.

sekrogue1985
08-12-2008, 12:56 PM
That's true, the Face characters get all the attention Especially Vader, I was Vader that morning at WGN

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/WGN%202008/WGN09.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/Darth_Raizzar/501st/WGN%202008/WGN16.jpg

But getting the attention is not what it's all about, I was very happy NOT to get the attention at Camp Q.
One of our other troopers brought an extra Stormtrooper bucket, and blaster with, So the kids would take turns with the blaster, and helmet, posing for pictures, as all of us TKs gathered around the kid getting his picture taken, like he was one of us.
They get a nice picture they can look at fondly, and remember their experiences that day, maybe helping to take their minds off the bigger issues in their lives.

You can't replace the feeling you get from seeing their faces as they take that bucket off, and they see they are surrounded by TKs in their picture.

Yeah i know the feeling. I recently just finished my little brother in law's first saber made out of spare MHS parts I have around. That kid will spend hours playing turning it on and off and swinging it around. It may not have sound but the fact that it fits his little hands better than those Hasbros makes him happy. that and he choose all the pieces for it so it's a custom of his own ideas though with what limited parts i have...

Y no sound some might ask well he drops it while trying to spin it and I'm not too comfortable with my mounting skills to build something that is kid proof.