PDA

View Full Version : Shouldered tips

Darth Cruor
08-09-2008, 04:12 PM
How do you attach them? Just with superglue or something similar? Because I've heard reports from friends about tips flying off... not good.

xwingband
08-09-2008, 04:21 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=529

Don't use superglue. Go to a model shop and find a nice glue.

Under normal use they won't fly off.

Darth Cruor
08-09-2008, 04:21 PM
And just one more question: what is the best way to diffuse a blade? TCSS tube diffuser or film? And if film, how many wraps?

xwingband
08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Totally depends...

Really more than anything it's a look desicion. If you like a solid color the TCSS diffuser is best. The film is a unique cored look.

I think less and less are going straight on either though. Most are using another film to even the brightness as neither is very good at that. PolyP, acetate, mylar, etc... some even get the film as "gift wrap" from a craft store. Both the options here can benefit from the addition of the second film. I use PolyP in all my blade regardless because it helps even the brightness out.

LAN-ED-TUL
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
or get weld-on number 3. thats what i used to fuse the tips on mine.

Novastar
08-09-2008, 05:59 PM
If you're planning on pretty "hardcore" dueling, I recommend any kind of "gummy" or rubbery glue that is appropriate for Poly-c... the more flexible and "spongey" the better in my opinion.

Then (as lame as it sounds) a few wraps of thin, clear packing tape to help keep the tip on the blade. If you're using thin-walled blades--use the thick-walled tips with this tape solution I'm providing.

When looking at the blade from 6" away... sure, it doesn't look so nice, but... if anyone is viewing it from further than that (which is FAR more logical and far more likely)... they'll never notice the tape.

And if you're moving it around (people tend to do this with sabers, heheh)--you'll NEVER detect the tape around the tip.

Using this method, I have two blades in particular that have survived 24,000+ hits without "tip flying" incidents. :)