PDA

View Full Version : Additional powder coating questions

Donnovan Sunrider
08-08-2008, 06:44 AM
I have a question regarding powder coating that I'm hoping the community can help me with.

**Edit**
I found the answers to my other questions.

Has anyone tried etching or scribing designs into the powder coat? I'm thinking of making a stencil and using a caustic paste to eat a layer of the color off to the metal under it for interesting designs, then applying a top coat to keep it intact. Anyone had any luck with such an endeavor? I was thinking of using the stuff you use to etch glass as the etching medium since I have some already. Any other methods recommended for such an option?
I'm looking for the ability to add some lettering and designs into the paint finish.

swear000
08-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I used something called Muriatic Acid mixed with hydrogen peroxide for attempted etching. Very corrosive and should be handled carefully. Unfortunately, it does not corrode the metal evenly so I wouldn't recommend trying it. I messed up a part that way. I then took it to get sandblasted. That helped even out the metal a little but there were still some irregular edges. I took the piece to a person who does laser marking. They said that the laser marking process would not help with the uneven edges and wouldn't be worth the money. I am currently looking into metal finishing places to see what more I can find out.

So far, sandblasting seems to be the best option. It is cheap and I think you can even buy a DIY sandblasting hobby kit. Keep me posted as to what you find out because I am very interested in doing some very precise etching work.

Donnovan Sunrider
08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
You bet.
I might get an inexpensive piece with the PC on it so I can experiment with it.
There has to be a way to work it so it doesn't damage the PC.

xl97
08-08-2008, 10:08 AM
sandblasting or media blasting shoudl work as stated..

and they can be brough for relatively cheap.. (needs a compressor as well Im sure)

I have a 80lbs media blaster..

I stencil (reverse) out the text or image/graphic I want...and tape off the rest (do a good job, dont slack).. and I blast chrome pieces to get the etching done.. this has been done on Harley parts though..not any saber parts.. but chrome pipes..etc work just fine.

make sure you use the right medium

One Skunk Todd
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Can the thumb screws be powdercoated?

Strydur
10-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Sure can

One Skunk Todd
10-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks Strydur. One last question I can think of at the moment. Does powder blasting the part make a difference in how opaque colors look? I know it makes a difference for transparent colors.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Tim, how thick is the powder coat layer after it's been applied?

Strydur
10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Not sure..its not that thick. Probably close to a few layers of paint.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Not sure..its not that thick. Probably close to a few layers of paint.
Okay, thanks, Tim! Order incoming, then!

One Skunk Todd
10-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks Strydur. One last question I can think of at the moment. Does powder blasting the part make a difference in how opaque colors look? I know it makes a difference for transparent colors.

I just realized I meant to say media blasting not powder blasting.

xl97
10-13-2008, 07:36 AM
I think it depends on the Powder Coating material/powder itself..